I found a new way to "save" for a cruise

A lot of the Dollar type Stores are selling out of their summer items in place of Fall merchandise. If you can find the blow-up child's arm water wiggles, they are great to blow-up and put around wine and liqour bottles, if you will be putting these in your checked luggage. Also works great for putting them on your wine bottles to carry-on the ship.

Our local Dollar store had them on season sell out for .50 for a set of 2.

Score !!!! :D

sorry, I put this post on the wrong thread.

We can't do the change jar, as we are almost 100% cashless...

But by using the right credit cards for every purchase you can save a significant amount of money on every purchase, which can be thousands in $$ by vacation time.

AmEx Blue = 6% back on groceries, 3% back on gas

Discover = 5-20% on every online purchase from most major online retailers

Fidelity AmEx = 2% on everything else we purchase (include business travel)

American Airlines Mastercard = anyone who doesn't take AmEx

It's all left pocket / right pocket math, but kind of fun to watch the reward dollars pile up in the accounts and then use it to pay off your vacation travel at after you get home.

Headed to London for a cruise in 4 weeks

Used Airline miles for 2 Business Class Tickets Round-Trip

3 nights pre-cruise and 2 nights post-cruise at the Hilton Park Lane, using Hilton Honors Points

$1,500 in spending money on AmEx Blue Card

$1,200 in spending money on Discover Card

$950 in OBC from TA

$250 in OBC from Celebrity (stockholder)

It's almost like a free vacation :D

We can't do the change jar, as we are almost 100% cashless...

But by using the right credit cards for every purchase you can save a significant amount of money on every purchase, which can be thousands in $$ by vacation time.

AmEx Blue = 6% back on groceries, 3% back on gas

Discover = 5-20% on every online purchase from most major online retailers

Fidelity AmEx = 2% on everything else we purchase (include business travel)

American Airlines Mastercard = anyone who doesn't take AmEx

It's all left pocket / right pocket math, but kind of fun to watch the reward dollars pile up in the accounts and then use it to pay off your vacation travel at after you get home.

Headed to London for a cruise in 4 weeks

Used Airline miles for 2 Business Class Tickets Round-Trip

3 nights pre-cruise and 2 nights post-cruise at the Hilton Park Lane, using Hilton Honors Points

$1,500 in spending money on AmEx Blue Card

$1,200 in spending money on Discover Card

$950 in OBC from TA

$250 in OBC from Celebrity (stockholder)

It's almost like a free vacation :D

Ohh I make such a good daughter in law. Momma and I were shopping tonight and she pulled out her chase card. I asked her if she had reward points or anything from her card. Momma said I dont know I think I do but I dont ever bother with it cause I dont know what it is or what I am suppose to do with it. I told her thats ok when we get home log into your account and we'll check it out. She has over 8K points which is about $84 and some change. I also explained to her by looking over everything that certain stores she shops at she gets so many extra reward points. Then she asked and maybe yall can help if you have Chase Freedom. If she uses her card for her sign and sail account does she get extra points for that?? I saw that you can get points by booking a cruise through Carnival?? I was to tired to check it all out tonight.

• 2 weeks later...
Ohh I make such a good daughter in law. Momma and I were shopping tonight and she pulled out her chase card. I asked her if she had reward points or anything from her card. Momma said I dont know I think I do but I dont ever bother with it cause I dont know what it is or what I am suppose to do with it. I told her thats ok when we get home log into your account and we'll check it out. She has over 8K points which is about $84 and some change. I also explained to her by looking over everything that certain stores she shops at she gets so many extra reward points. Then she asked and maybe yall can help if you have Chase Freedom. If she uses her card for her sign and sail account does she get extra points for that?? I saw that you can get points by booking a cruise through Carnival?? I was to tired to check it all out tonight.

I think a lot of people miss the value in points, or simply don't understand how to manage them. I love when i read messages about how people cut up the cards and only pay cash to save money. The only time that is helpful is if you cannot control spending and don't pay your card each month. But if you use Credit Cards as a tool and not a crutch is can be the biggest money saver there is...and as you test and learn, there are many programs that allow you to double-dip.

I think a lot of people miss the value in points, or simply don't understand how to manage them. I love when i read messages about how people cut up the cards and only pay cash to save money. The only time that is helpful is if you cannot control spending and don't pay your card each month. But if you use Credit Cards as a tool and not a crutch is can be the biggest money saver there is...and as you test and learn, there are many programs that allow you to double-dip.

She is really good about credit but she just didnt understand the rewards points or how they work. At least by showing her she now knows more about what to do with them. So I think next year when we go on our cruise and she has a chance to rack up more reward points between now and then she'll use it more then pay at the bill in full each month. Not sure how the double dipping works but may like a few things just stumble into it.

Thanks for the information...its greatly appreciated and just think she wouldnt know about it had I not read about it on here..So a big thank you

Archived