Our Top 10 Tips for The Destiny

Hi Everyone

Just got back from a fantastic 2 week cruise in the Caribbean. Our first. I have listed my top 10 tips and hope that these help:

1. Take sterling money as well as everything on the ship in in sterling. We only took US dollars and came back with quite a few PLUS a hefty bill from the ship.

2. Beach in Martinique has no sunbeds and takes about 2 hrs to get to if you time it wrong with the water taxis. Well worth the effort though as beautiful beach!

3. Try not to have your photo taken too many times. They are tempting to buy when you see them and then you end up with a hefty bill.

4. Discovered breakfast waiter service in the 7 seas restaurant on the last day ...not sure if this was available every day. Had been searching for poached eggs on toast all 2 weeks and this was the place to serve them.

5. Don't forget your manners. We were appalled at the way some people treated the staff. It was embarrising to see and quite common. The way other guests were treated to, was a bit new to me. It was as if 'please' and 'thank you' were banned. Do cruisers all own the ship??

6. Pirate's of the Caribbean in St. Lucia was a good trip.

7. We did not use our extension socket that we took with us as not needed. Maybe because we were'nt in the cabin that much.

8. Took my own hair dryer but not as powerful as the cabin one. Did not use this either.

9. There are some sun bed mattresses, I think on Deck 7. These made the beds comfortable.

10. There are no strict rules unfortunately for reserving sunbeds so don't be surprised if there are towels on beds at 9.00am and then not used until at least 1.30pm. Infuriating to say the least! but we were told to take the towels off if no beds available.

Sorry, one more tip - ensure you book your next cruise soon !

LOL

North & South

Hi, dress code on gala night seemed to be back tie as most of the men in DJs and saw lots of lovely dresses on the ladies. I regretted taking a dress I should have taken (as thought it would be too hot) and took more of a cocktail dress for the 2nd week. Spent most of the 2nd week dining in the 7 seas and dressed in my best frocks. OH wore linen trousers and shirt. We we were on deck 2 and yes they are bijou but we left the cabin at 7am and got back at 7pm.. in time to change for dinner and enjoy a nice cocktail in Blakes.

Your information is appreciated, im glad you said the pirates trip in st lucia is a good one as this is definate from the wife to be.

Im sad to say that the ill treatment of the crew has been present on most ships we have been on, although more so on Thomsons and Island cruises (what was). I feel ashamed when i see it as well and often step in to their defence.

Hi North and South,

Thank you for the info! I am on the ship on Valentines day for a 7 day cruise.

Why may I ask did you end up having a huge bill?? Ive opted out of the AI because its only myself and my two boys (15 and 9) and i just couldnt justify the £169 x 3!!!

Which beach did you go to in Martinique?

Regarding dress code, Im only on a 1 week cruise, so just taking one "evening" dress and mostly semi formal dresses is this ok??

Hi MasterPoo

They say there are 3 beaches in Martinique but I think it is more like 3 bays. All next to one another. We headed for Pointe de Bout, Please, please take some Euros as we spent 10 mins in a taxi with 4 others dicussing the exchange rate and what the other cabin owed the others - 5 Euros I think? Expensive island to eat on. pizza was Euros22.00.

Regardiing the bill, we were AI but still managed to run up a bill for 1 tour ( st Lucia) photos, safety desposit box and sundries...all seemed to creep up.

You will have a fantastic time! Best frock for Gala Night and dress up all other nights to. It is fab!

LOL

Archived