Pros and Cons of Azamara

cruisingbarb

We've been on RCCL, HAL, Windjammer Barefoot Cruises and Star Clipper. We prefer a smaller, more casual ship, but price comes into the picture. Bigger ships, better bargains; smaller ships, more expensive. We are thinking of doing a southern Caribbean cruise in 2011. What do you like and dislike about Azamara? How does it compare to other cruiselines? We would rather not have to take suits, sports coats or formal clothing, but don't mind dressing nicely.

Having just completed a Azamara cruise, and being a frequent HAL cruiser, I have to say that Azamara was very laid back...perhaps TOO laid back. People in the MDR in ANY type of clothes. Also, IMHO, food is MUCH better on HAL than Azamara.

Having just completed a Azamara cruise, and being a frequent HAL cruiser, I have to say that Azamara was very laid back...perhaps TOO laid back. People in the MDR in ANY type of clothes. Also, IMHO, food is MUCH better on HAL than Azamara.

Will you please expand on MDR with any clothes? Just how bad was it? So far I have seen jeans in the MDR on Formal Night on RCCL...others I know have seen worse... Personally based on traget audience for Azamara I would expect at least decent casual clothes, maybe some jeans in the MDR...I can live with that, but undershirts and greasy stained pants...yikes...

We have only one Azamara cruise behind us but another 2 months ahead. For what it is worth smart casual was what was asked and that is what we got. Apart from one gentleman who thought that speedos were appropriate dress in the library, all our fellow pax dressed to a civilised standard.

We have found that there were more " inappropriatly dressed" passengers on Holland America than on Azamara. On the Quest at dinner, many men were wearing jackets, and some with ties. We also thought the food was better and more varied on Azamara. Just recently returned from the Eurodam, and will again sail on the Quest in September. Hope to confirm our opinions.

You are going to get varied opinions on this subject, depending on each indivduals personal experiences. My wife and I have traveled just about every Cruise Line afloat. We are over 70 now, but do like active ships with active people. Holland American gave us some good years. Then we found Celebrity Cruise lines and it became our venue for a few years, then Silversea and Seabourn (we still do a Silversea Cruise at least once a year), it has become our favorite for many reasons, which I won't go into here. But then last year we joined a Azamara Journey Cruise and found it delightful, did not see any real problems with Dress, most Men wore Sport Coats for Dinner as I did, but smart attire was more the norm, Food was excellent, especially the Specialty Resturants We loved the casual feeling all over the ship. We have booked a return 28 day cruise on the Quest for Mar 2011. We both love that Small ship atmosphere, I can't belive you would be unhappy with an Azamara Cruise. Yes there are always a few who are in their own little world who just are SLOBS. We even see them on Silversea Cruises, please don't let this type spoil your dreams. If your preference is being with large crowds and huge dinning venues, there are plenty of Cruise Lines to choose from. Whatever your choose, make the most of it and enjoy it.:);)

We just returned from the Azamara Journey yesterday. This was our 3rd Azamara cruise. We loved it. We did not seen anyone dressed inapropriately in the MDR or specialty restaurants. There were frequently men in jackets. I was especially surprised to see that people in the casual dining area and those dining on the aft deck were mostly dressed in resort casual.

The food was great in all venues, the service was great. I have never before been on a ship where top mangment was so involved with passengers. The Captain was seen around the ship regularly and always stopped to chat with us. Same for the Hotel Director, Food and Beverage Manager and others. They frequently addressed us by name. We love the games - trivia, pictionary, name that tune, etc. and the schedule was full of games. And there were none of the old, stale games. The staff members invent their own games based on their interests and their enthusiasm shows.

The only complaint I have - and it was a common complaint - is that the coffee is awful. But the Hotel Director is aware of this and saya they will soon be taking steps to correct it.

I can't say enough good things about the cruise. The Captain was even kind enough to arrange to have a beautiful full moon rising as we had dinner on the aft deck on our last evening ;).

Just got back yesterday from the 12-day Leeward Islands cruise. We had a ball and the ship was fantastic. By the end of the cruise, we had talked to almost every passenger. By and large, everyone was extremely pleasant. The staff was incredible and went out of their way to help us. The ambiance was lovely. Most passengers were dressed very nicely particularly in the evenings. Women wore dresses or dressy slacks. Men wore polo or button down shirts - very few in jackets. Almost everyone looked elegant. During the day, people were more relaxed but still polished. I saw very few t-shirts, no ripped jeans.

We loved the small ship. There were never lines for elevators or tenders. We rarely had to wait for food at the buffet unless they were preparing something to order.

Just got back yesterday from the 12-day Leeward Islands cruise. We had a ball and the ship was fantastic. By the end of the cruise, we had talked to almost every passenger. By and large, everyone was extremely pleasant. The staff was incredible and went out of their way to help us. The ambiance was lovely. Most passengers were dressed very nicely particularly in the evenings. Women wore dresses or dressy slacks. Men wore polo or button down shirts - very few in jackets. Almost everyone looked elegant. During the day, people were more relaxed but still polished. I saw very few t-shirts, no ripped jeans.

We loved the small ship. There were never lines for elevators or tenders. We rarely had to wait for food at the buffet unless they were preparing something to order.

Thank you for the great review. We're on Journey 2/12, and are really looking forward to experiencing this ship.

Archived