Baggage Shipping

edwardw

We have used the system, and like it a lot--It's nice to walk in your suite and see you bag on the bed, and you haven't had to lug it! Our system is to pack one big bag--you can go up to 51 pounds--thats the bulk of what you need--then we carry a small carry on, to cover an over night before the cruise! We do carry all our luggage home--cuts the cost in half, and if there is a delay--who cares! Don

My own experience was horrendous and caused lots of aggravation to me until I was within 30 minutes of going on board and received a message from Seabourn's Miami office that my "missing" bag was indeed where it belonged at that point- in my cabin.

My "mistake" was using the DHL tracking system and believing that my bag was in Cincinnati- as the system had shown for more than a week. For all I know it still shows it there.

You can read the saga on the world cruise site. Maybe I was very unlucky but the lesson is transparent to me. Next time I will do what I have always done: transport my bags myself, arrive 2 days early for the ship and relax knowing where the bags are and/or track anything missing myself with the airline.

Good luck!

ps- We will be in Kiribati in 2 days and the Odyssey is absolutely splendid! Have met Shefinch, Seabourn Nail and Wripro who are regular CC contributors as well.

We have used the service on our last two SB cruises and had no problem. The bags were picked up on schedule and awaited us in our cabin. On the last cruise, there was some delay in the bags making it home. A call to Seabourn provided a quick explanation and promise that Seabourn would followup to ensure the bags made it. They did and we were very pleased with the service.

I think it would be quite easy if one was staying overnight at a hotel before sailing. But I would only try that if in the US. FedEx is quite reliable. However, since I don't want to bother with a heavy suitcase, the Seabourn service is my choice.

I think it would be quite easy if one was staying overnight at a hotel before sailing. But I would only try that if in the US. FedEx is quite reliable. However, since I don't want to bother with a heavy suitcase, the Seabourn service is my choice.

We will be staying in Fort Lauderdale prior to the Legend crossing for a least two days before sailing and as we are flying via New York we don't want to have to worry about our luggage. So I would imagine it would be ok.

Has anyone else had any experience of doing this, I really don't want to have any hassle as we have had plenty before with BA and T5, also flying on a low cost carrier having to pay really hefty surcharges for over weight bags!

Yes we have - we had our luggage sent from our home in the British Channel Islands to

our hotel in Fort Lauderdale pre boarding the 'Spirit' for the Christmas/New Year cruise. We used FEDEX which are known worldwide and they are a first class firm to deal with.

On the return journey the luggage arrived home one day after we did.

They charge a fraction of the price compared to Seabourn.

We are using them again next month to join the 'Pride' in Hong Kong.

Yes we have - we had our luggage sent from our home in the British Channel Islands to

our hotel in Fort Lauderdale pre boarding the 'Spirit' for the Christmas/New Year cruise. We used FEDEX which are known worldwide and they are a first class firm to deal with.

You are coming from a very different location than I am, but when I checked into the difference in price between Fedex and Seabourn's Valet Luggage, the prices were very similar for US->Asia.

If you know of some secret, please share.

Thank you for your reply. We are thinking of using a firm called Carry my Luggage, they too are far cheaper than Seabourn but they are not able to deliver to a cruise ship but thats fine with us as we always stay for a few nights in a hotel beforehand anyway. I will also look into FedEx, to see how their prices compare.

Thank you for your reply. We are thinking of using a firm called Carry my Luggage, they too are far cheaper than Seabourn but they are not able to deliver to a cruise ship but thats fine with us as we always stay for a few nights in a hotel beforehand anyway. I will also look into FedEx, to see how their prices compare.

It might be a good idea to also check with your hotel to make certain that they will accept and store your unaccompanied luggage for however many days before you arrive. In our ever-changing world, hotels may be reluctant to do this.

regarding shipping to the ship: I wonder if you could check with Seabourn first & have the bag shipped to the Port Agent's office for delivery onboard upon the ship's arrival?

Since we're arriving in Lisbon a few days before our cruise on 4/1, we will be driving around Portugal quite a bit & don't want to lug an extra bag around in a very small car. I e-mailed our hotel concierge & he replied that they would be happy to hang on to the extra bag for our pre-cruise night arrival. I did the same in Sydney in Nov. & that worked very well. I think if you clear it with them in advance, they're more likely to comply.

Re: Luggage again. Seabourn's website tells you 30lbs. and I would assume it is the same no matter where you live, only the cost is different.

Fedex is definitely 66lbs i.e. 30 kilos and I have used it myself and I am about to use Fedex next month to Hong Kong.

Not sure how this compares (I can't be bothered to do the maths) But I have just booked two 25kgs suitcases from the Uk to Fort Lauderdale for £225. I checked with FedEx and Seabourn and they were both more expensive than Carry My Luggage. In Seabourn's case nearly double. I have also had very good recommendations from friends that have used this service.

Archived