What to do when we'll only be in Puerto Rico from 4pm-11:30pm

ntengwall

You're supposed to feed them there! It is actually called Pigeon Park. :D I think they only poop on non-feeders.

Let's see, I've been pooped on in Trafalgar Square, St Mark's Square, St Peter's Square, at the Eiffel Tower, at the Ramblas in Barcelona, in Amsterdam, at the Parthenon, in the old town in Montreal, and, most recently, at Pidgeon Park in San Juan. I'm sure there were a few others as well. What I'm looking forward to next is being pooped on in Red Square!:D Bon Voyage to all!

Let's see, I've been pooped on in Trafalgar Square, St Mark's Square, St Peter's Square, at the Eiffel Tower, at the Ramblas in Barcelona, in Amsterdam, at the Parthenon, in the old town in Montreal, and, most recently, at Pidgeon Park in San Juan. I'm sure there were a few others as well. What I'm looking forward to next is being pooped on in Red Square!:D Bon Voyage to all!

Note to self: Steer clear of travling1969 at all times...

There should be one particular excursion I would seriously recommend...the bioluminescent lagoon. You'll take a bus for an hour or two, then get in kayaks and paddle the bay. The organisms light up when disturbed, so you can see where you paddle and splash, and if you pour water over your boys, they'll light up. Book early as it's very popular.

I agree! This is a great excursion. My son just loved it and so did I and my husband!

DO NOT do the Bacardi tour. It is a boring tour the kids will not like it. They give you 2 free drinks in a nice outdoor area, but other than that, it is not worth it. 20 of us did this tour after our cruise, while waiting to go to the airport - never again. We too have had short port time in San Juan on one cruise. Definitely get off of the ship and walk around, it is a fun port. Hopefully, as other posters have said, you can tour at least on of the forts. The structure and the history is worth the visit. San Juan is a fun port - there are plenty of shops, great outdoor cafes and places to stop for beverages for all ages. In a few hours you can explore this fun city and still be back onboard for dinner. Do get off of the ship, it is an amazing city.

DO NOT do the Bacardi tour. It is a boring tour the kids will not like it. They give you 2 free drinks in a nice outdoor area, but other than that, it is not worth it. 20 of us did this tour after our cruise, while waiting to go to the airport - never again. We too have had short port time in San Juan on one cruise. Definitely get off of the ship and walk around, it is a fun port. Hopefully, as other posters have said, you can tour at least on of the forts. The structure and the history is worth the visit. San Juan is a fun port - there are plenty of shops, great outdoor cafes and places to stop for beverages for all ages. In a few hours you can explore this fun city and still be back onboard for dinner. Do get off of the ship, it is an amazing city.

I had a wonderful time on the Bacardi tour but I do not drink much. Two drinks was plenty for me and they were quite strong as I recall.

agree 100%. you can always go to the puertorican rum DON Q store almost in front of the ports and try all the rum flavors. DON Q is the best selling rum in Puerto Rico.

I do not think the 7-year old will be allowed to use the Segways.

Forts are neat and walkable up the hill. Almost always windy and good to fly kites there, as lots of the locals do. A fairly inexpensive "parafoil" kite will stuff into your bags and they are almost indestructible -- no sticks to break. I have seen vendors selling traditional kites near the open spaces also.

I think a National parks pass gets you into the forts if you have one of those.

If you walk to your left (not up the hill) after you disembark you will be on a wide, paved path that has a lot of large photos with ecological, cultural, and historic info. There are some shops also but not many and a few small parks to rest and take in the surroundings. Mostly views of the harbor. You will come to the 'door to the city' after a short walk. It is the old entrance to San Juan. There is a short pier there and some good photo ops. If you walk through the 'door' and up the hill on a scenic street you will come to a medium large church that is worth looking in if it is open. There is usually an older guy there painting and he has some interesting stuff to look at. An old convent, now a hotel, is diagonally across the street. Walk up the hill from the church, passing the El Conviento on your left, and you will run directly into El Morro. From there it is all downhill back to the ship. It will be difficult to make both forts with the time you have there so I would go to El Morro which is the largest. There is a specatular old cemetery adjacent to the fort and it is worth looking at because of the differences between that and what you are probably used to. Suggest avoiding the barrio that is near the cemetary because it is rumored to be a rough place.

An internet search of El Morro Puerto Rico will give you lots of info and pics.

Here is a suggestion for a walking tour with lots of info.

http://gopuertorico.about.com/od/oldsanjuan/ss/WalkingTour.htm

• 3 weeks later...

If you plan to head to the forts, watch the time. With your late afternoon arrival, if it takes you anytime to clear customs, by the time you debark, get a cab and get there, they could be closing by the time you arrive. The best bet for this time of day, with children is the bio-kayak tour that has been mentioned. My DH and children have done many kayak tours, but this one was the most memorable....even more than touching a nurse shark in the FL Keys.

Archived