What time for dinner seatings in the Med?

Infi

Just booked a Mediterranean cruise and I selected early traditional for dinner, which is our preference. Last year in Alaska, we discovered "early seating" on Princess does not always mean 6 or 6:15pm, because on that cruise, dinner was at 5:15pm! :eek:

I'm inclined to think dinner seatings are later than that in Europe, but you never know. So, what time are the dinner seatings in the Med?

On our Med cruise, we often found early seating too early (tired after a long day in port and very long shore excursions and didn't want to rush around to get ready for dinner) and late seating too late (as we had many early morning tours planned). We found anytime dining 'Justttttttt right'. That way, depending on the day, and what time we returned to the ship, dining fit around our schedule and not the ships schedule. ;)

I sure don't, sorry! The crazy schedule of the Med and the ports being so numerous, there is no way I can see how anyone can be tied to a schedule for dining though. Either they like to rush, or don't need sleep, with early mornings right around the corner. lol

Infi:

Good for you on the Med booking. I agree with Toto on this one also. Early seating will really be way too early for dinner. These are definitely cruises where the anytime dining works so well. I know you aren't crazy about it, but I don't think you would be sorry.

We have done the Med twice. Once with anytime dining and then the second on the Royal and they don't offer it. I did miss it quite a bit. There were days we got back so hot and tired that it would have been nice to not even gone to the dining room. But when we had anytime it was much easier not to be tied to their schedule. Even when we did the Baltic it was much easier. That being said, and you really want to do traditional, I would even opt for late seating in the Med. Just because so many of the excursions don't even get back until after 5:00. Also if you have early ones, and then want to spend time on your own somewhere, you won't have to hurry back.

I want to say that the dining times were really similar to those on the Caribbean cruises, give or take 15 minutes.

Have a great cruise. Which ship are you going on?

Susan

Thanks, Susan. Most nights we're in port until about 7, so I didn't think rushing back for early dinner would be an issue. Now I think I might reconsider that. I just really enjoy having the same tablemates and waitstaff, it's like one constant in the day. I also think that you don't get as good of service in anytime, because the waitstaff isn't as invested. But if it's going to impact our visits in port, we might have to make an exception.

We're doing the Ruby, Venice to Barcelona, in July. Yes, back to the Ruby. If you have any suggestions on tours or anything, I would love to hear them. I'm just starting to plan now and even with reading the boards, it's overwhelming to start.

Cindy

Personally I would only consider Anytime Dining on a Med cruise in July. It can be extremely hot and combined with all day excursions you will return to the ship tired and wanting nothing but a shower. You will find most excursions leave very early, and with a port almost every day fatigue will build. Anytime lets you go whenever you feel like it, and if you decide to go to Horizon, you aren't leaving your table-mates in the lurch.

Thanks, Toto. We really hate anytime dining though, so I don't think it's for us. Do you remember what time the actual seatings were?

On the Ruby TA last April first seating was 5:45 which, I agree, is too early. But the ship wasn't full, and our waiter told us that coming at 6 was fine with him. On the days we were in Rome and Florence he told us to come at any time because all of his tables weren't full.

Archived