Anyone been to Bari ???

eliopia

It seems like no one stops at Bari,I have searched this forum and I only found few posts about it,please if you have done this port,we need info.What to do? where to go? DIY or ship tour?

Have not been to Bari in 40 years. Had a nice historical district and not a lot more. Took a boat to Corfu from there. I would classify it as a typical Italian DIY town.

As GSP said, Bari has a lovely historic old town area. You can easily visit it on foot on your own.

From Bari, I'm guessing that two of the places a ship tour would go are Alberobello, to see the trulli, and Matera, to see the sassi. Both are unique, architecturally.

I found Alberobello overbearingly tourist-centric; but with good reason, I suppose. The trulli are fascinating, you can read about them here: http://www.worldheritagesite.org/sites/alberobello.html

Matera is amazing, and well worth the hour and a half (approximately) drive from Bari. The sassi, slum housing in the 20th century, have become desirable again in the 21st century. You can read about them here: http://www.worldheritagesite.org/sites/isassidimatera.html

I don't know how to DIY Alberobello or Matera using public transit, when I was in Puglia we had a car.

My parents are originally from Bari, and I have been there several times.

I would say if you have time, a trip to Alberobello is really nice and something that you will not see anywhere else.

Bari is a typical italian "city", so there is always good shopping :)

If you get a chance, you need to stop at a place that sells "panzerotti". These are typical to an american calzone, but with cheese and tomato sauce, and fried. They are amazing! The last time I went to Bari there were stands that used to make these, but that was about 7 years ago.

• 4 months later...

We have just returned from our cruise and spent a delightful Sunday in Bari. Great place for a stroll, right off the ship - no taxi necessary. Make sure you have a map which you can get for free at visitor center at port (our ship charged .50 euro for it). There are also a couple of hop-on type buses just outside the port. Many shops were open and we headed for Piazza Ferrarese as was recommended on Tripadvisor to find a salmuaria and the famous burrata cheese, as well as a good selection of wines. Bari was a delightful first stop following overseas flight, night in Venice, hustle and bustle of getting on and settled on ship and the burrata was worth the stop alone.

We have just returned from our cruise and spent a delightful Sunday in Bari. Great place for a stroll, right off the ship - no taxi necessary. Make sure you have a map which you can get for free at visitor center at port (our ship charged .50 euro for it). There are also a couple of hop-on type buses just outside the port. Many shops were open and we headed for Piazza Ferrarese as was recommended on Tripadvisor to find a salmuaria and the famous burrata cheese, as well as a good selection of wines. Bari was a delightful first stop following overseas flight, night in Venice, hustle and bustle of getting on and settled on ship and the burrata was worth the stop alone.

Thank you for your reviews on each port. What is a salmuaria??

Archived