Is Bayonne really that bad?

Uconnfan

Since you drive to Bayonne from CT, could you send me directions (in case my GPS doesn't cooperate?).

Interstate highway 95 eventually becomes the New Jersey Turnpike. As you approach Newark Liberty International Airport, leave highway 95 by following the signs for exit 14A. You'll still be on the New Jersey Turnpike (albeit the so-called "Newark Bay Hudson County Extension" portion of the turnpike), but this part of the turnpike is interstate highway 78. The actual exit 14A comes after you've crossed the bridge over Newark Bay.

Pay the toll to exit and keep to the right. You'll enter upon a fly-over that veers to the left and becomes Port Jersey Boulevard. Follow the signs for state highway 440: take the first right-hand turn off of Port Jersey Boulevard, and then another right turn (onto Pulaski Street). The traffic signal ahead is at state highway 440.

Turn left at the traffic signal onto southbound state highway 440. Keep left. The next traffic signal on state highway 440 is Prospect Avenue / Port Terminal Boulevard. Turn left at the traffic signal onto eastbound Port Terminal Boulevard. This is the main roadway within the "Peninsula at Bayonne Harbor," the home of the Port Liberty Cruise Port. Continue along this roadway to the passenger terminal.

Should you desire any groceries or any other last-minute items before heading to the vessel, the continue southbound on state highway 440 past Port Terminal Boulevard, and almost immediately thereafter is another traffic signal at 32nd Street / Lefante Drive. Turn left at the traffic signal onto eastbound Lefante Drive. There is a Stop & Shop supermarket and other stores on the left (north) side of Lefante Drive. To go from the stores to the port, return westbound on Lefante Drive to state highway 440. Turn right on state highway 440 northbound, then turn right again at the next traffic signal (Port Terminal Boulevard) into the "Peninsula at Bayonne Harbor."

I hope these directions are helpful.

mamapan: We are on the 4/10/10 EOS Bermuda cruise. We we are driving down early in the morning of 4/10/10. Since you drive to Bayonne from CT, could you send me directions (in case my GPS doesn't cooperate?). We'll be driving 95South into NJ. Thanks (in advance!)

-Marie & Simon Mitchell (Warwick, RI)

We're on the same cruise, also driving down from New England. Google recommends the following (and I think they're right -- certainly this is a really good route to and through Manhattan that I've used before):

* Get yourself onto the Merritt Parkway. From Warwick, that probably means coming off I-95 at exit 38 in CT and taking the connector onto the Merritt.

* The Merritt Parkway crosses the NY state line and becomes the Hutchinson River Parkway. Keep following the Hutch.

* At exit 15, the Hutch will veer off to your right and the through route becomes the Cross-County Parkway. Take that.

* Follow the Cross-County to its end and take the Saw Mill River Parkway south.

* The Saw Mill will fork into the Mosholu (left fork) and the Henry Hudson (right fork). Take the Henry Hudson.

* The Henry Hudson will take you all the way to about 57th St in Manhattan -- up to this point it's all been highway-standard roads. Coincidentally, the moment it stops being highway-standard, you pass the Manhattan cruise port on your right.

* Keep going -- this is 12th Avenue, aka the West Side Highway, and you'll be going down the Hudson riverbank. There are a good few lights, but traffic mostly keeps moving.

* Eventually (after about five miles) you will make a left on Canal Street and then another left into the Holland Tunnel. It's quite well signed.

* Emerging from the tunnel, you'll go straight ahead onto I-78. Come off at exit 14A (the third exit). Keep to the right as you go through the tollbooth, but don't turn right at the light -- just be in the right fork of the road. That will take you up and over the ramp to get to route 440.

* After you've gone over 440, make the first right, and then right again onto Pulaski Street. Make a left at the light onto 440 South.

* After three-quarters of a mile, make a left on Port Terminal Boulevard and proceed to the ship!

... and we'll see you there. Not sure yet if we're parking at the port or parking with some friends in NJ and getting a ride from there -- but if we're going direct to the port that's the route I'll probably take. On a Saturday morning there shouldn't be much traffic.

While the Google route will get you there, I don't like that Google chooses to route people through Manhattan unnecessarily. If driving and not destined for Manhattan, most people will avoid going through Manhattan if possible.

Better than the Turnpike or the GW Bridge, IMHO. But maybe I've just had a bad experience.

But I'm not sure I'd do the same route in reverse -- on a Thursday morning somewhere close to the rush hour, you could easily be in line for the Holland Tunnel for a LONG time. I'd be tempted to find the Garden State Parkway north to pick up the Tappan Zee, even though that's a bit of a long way around.

(Oh, a couple of edits: exit 14A is the second exit, and you have to keep right after the Holland Tunnel to get on I-78.)

Just back from Cape Liberty. You really want to take the Merritt Parkway from CT as suggested. Paying the $3 toll on the Henry Hudson is worth every penny to avoid the trucks and traffic on I95. However, you do have to decide whether you want to drive down the west side of Manhattan and go through the Holland Tunnel or cross the GW bridge and take the NJ turnpike to Bayonne. The access to the GW bridge is easy from the Henry Hudson. You then just follow the signs to the NJ Turnpike. When the turnpike splits, you follow the signs to the Lincoln Tunnel, which puts you on the original turnpike. Don't get off at the Lincoln Tunnel - stay on the turnpike to exit 14 and follow the signs to exit 14a. I would describe the 14a exit a bit differently. At the toll booth you go straight ahead up a ramp that curves to the left. Once you are on the ramp, keep bearing right until you see the light at 440. Make a left onto 440 south, stay left, and make another left at the first traffic light.

I'm not a fan of the Garden State. It's an awful road and takes you way out of the way. Check the traffic report on 1010 AM - if the GW bridge is OK, take the upper level and get in the right lane. The Henry Hudson is the very first exit at the end of the bridge.

Which is better a shuttle, a car service or a voucher for a taxi ? and why?We are trying to decide where to stay before we lealve and what transportation is best for us.If we use Conunty Inn, after the cruise the voucher takes you back to the Hotel and then they use their own shuttle to go to the airport.Our flight is at 1- Should we just arrange our own transportation?

What dates are you looking at? What time does your flight arrive at Newark? Are you interested in also going to NY? Are you interested in Jersey Gardens Mall? It is my understanding that if you stay at Country Inns, you sign up for a shuttle time when you arrive, which means you cannot really control your arrival time at the ship. For this last cruise we drove to the port, arrived about 10:30, and were on one of the first shuttles to the ship at 11:30. This was unusally early - we had no wait time in the lounge at all. We're Platinum, so we were in the priory boarding lounge. For the return it is my understanding that Country Inns provides taxi vouchers so you can return directly either to the airport or the hotel.

Country Inns can be a very good deal depending on the date. However, booking your own hotel and car service can also be an excellent deal. When you get off the ship, no car service is really required - there are shuttle vans that will drop you at the airport - I have heard quotes of $15/pp for this.

We should arrrive 5 on Sat night before the cruise.May 15th.The cvruise is Clebrity to Bermuda.Not enough time to go into NY.We just want dinner, and will go back to the hotel . We will have a long day.It's an hours drive to the airport form where we live and we don't have a direct flight so I am sure we'll be tired. If you have a better suggestions as tow here to stay, I'd love to hear it. Our flight onSunday May 23 is at 1.

Country Inns is showing at about $179 incl taxes for your date. That is a good deal - car service would be about $100-$110, so your net room rate is about $70-$80. Breakfast is included. There is a Ruby Tuesday's nearby and a food court in the Jersey Gardens Mall. I'd book it ASAP before it disappears for your date.

I haven't done this, but I understand from others that there are shuttle vans to take you to Newark Airport. They collect a group of people and send them off. I've heard $15 quoted for this. Perhaps someone who has actually done this will post.

Archived