British Isles cruise with Queen Victoria

Charlotte T.

Anybody going on this fantastic cruise leaving Southmapton on July 22, 2010? We are looking for shore excursions companions.

Charlotte T.

Hi Charlotte,

that sounds like a lot of fun. I hope the weather's good for you in July. You might want to consider starting a thread on the Cunard roll-calls board. There's a subsection for QV voyages. I have to say though that, for some reason, the QV roll calls never seem to attract as much custom as the QM2 ones do (or the QE2 ones used to).

J

Charlotte, which ports will you be visiting?

Mary

Thanks Mary. I meant to ask that question but I forgot. So, as penance, I went and had a look myself. This is the itinerary - they're going west-about.

Southampton

Cherbourg

Cork

Dublin

Liverpool

Belfast

Greenock

At Sea

Rosyth

At Sea

Southampton

J

OK, I'll kick off with Dublin, where I would do the hop on/off buses and just wander - the bus will take you to all the places of interest. The green and cream ones http://www.dublinsightseeing.ie/citytour.aspx give the best commentary, as the driver does it live (unless 'elf'n'safety regulations have caught up with them since 2008).

Enjoy - it's a lovely city.

Mary

Edited to add: I see elsewhere you are a little confused by the site - I certainly was when I first started using it as well - please ask away if you need any help.

OK, I'll kick off with Dublin, where I would do the hop on/off buses and just wander

I'd love to help you out with Belfast but, sadly, my experiences in the City date from unhappier times.

As Mary says, don't let the site confuse you - ask any questions you like and we'll try to help you out. You'll soon get to know the various characters involved - just don't take anything they say too seriously :D

J

I'd love to help you out with Belfast but, sadly, my experiences in the City date from unhappier times.

J

And mine stem from just after the troubles finished (?), and as I only went once for a fleeting visit I can't help much either. Strangely, the place I remember most was a Tesco store in a beautiful building in the City centre. Didn't have breakfast...

Mary

Thanks J. QV does not offer shore excursions on this cruise so I am looking at different options for visiting all those interesting ports of call.

At the moment cunard are offering 7 shore excursions for Cobh (Cork) and 9 for Dublin. I would think they will also add excursions for the other ports of call later.

http://book.cunard.co.uk/find/pb/cruiseDetailsShorex.do?ship=QV&subTrade=&date=0710&duration=&orderBy=&pageOffset=&filterBy=&voyageCode=V012&noOfPax=2&airCity=

Didn't have breakfast...

Mary

Ah now, for breakfast you should have gone to the Sprucefield Shopping Centre in Lisburn. Best Ulster Fry in the Province - at least it was in 1990! They used to keep an extra specially large plate handy just for little ole moi :)

J

Ah now, for breakfast you should have gone to the Sprucefield Shopping Centre in Lisburn. Best Ulster Fry in the Province - at least it was in 1990! They used to keep an extra specially large plate handy just for little ole moi :)

J

They said,when are you coming in as they still have the special sausages that you ordered twenty years ago.:rolleyes:

Thanks J. I will hope for some answers. QV does not offer shore excursions on this cruise so I am looking at different options for visiting all those interesting ports of call.

Charlotte T.

Charlotte. I find it strange that there are no planned excurisons, perhaps they are not listed as it is a bit before the cruise. We visited some of these ports on the QM2 Fifth Anniversary in October. Here are the excursions we took and my opinion of them.

Cherbourg. We visited Bayeaux to see the famed tapestry and the unspoiled city. This was a highlight of all the excursions for me. In Cobh, Took the Cork/Jamisons tour. The Cork was a drive about, the Jamieson's was a poor tour, but the wiskey sample was nice. In Greenoch, I took the Loch Lomand tour, pleasent trip into the country, but so foggy it was hard to see anything. Liverpool. The city tour, which was nice, but a walk about near the dock would have been more interesting.

Having spent time in Dublin, a hop on hop off would be my best bet.

I hope this helps.

Mike

Archived