If you chose not to do a Belize excursion?

tgptmp

We vacationed on Ambergris Caye a few years ago, some friends of our own an inn there, and we're stopping in Belize on our cruise in a few weeks. I think we're just going to all (me, wife, 3 & 6 year old) just take the water taxi over to Caye Caulker and find a beach to hang out at with the kids, then find some lunch.

We vacationed on Ambergris Caye a few years ago, some friends of our own an inn there, and we're stopping in Belize on our cruise in a few weeks. I think we're just going to all (me, wife, 3 & 6 year old) just take the water taxi over to Caye Caulker and find a beach to hang out at with the kids, then find some lunch.

I second that. Caye Caulker is gorgeous and the people are very welcoming! As far as an excursion, not sure if you mean through the cruise line or just in general. There are many tour operators that are waiting on the pier offering tours at decent prices. The last time we were in Belize we booked with Eco-Tours on the pier and had an amazing time snorkeling the reef and shark ray alley.

I second that. Caye Caulker is gorgeous and the people are very welcoming! As far as an excursion, not sure if you mean through the cruise line or just in general. There are many tour operators that are waiting on the pier offering tours at decent prices. The last time we were in Belize we booked with Eco-Tours on the pier and had an amazing time snorkeling the reef and shark ray alley.

No--we were looking to just hang out in general. How much is the water taxi to Caye Caulker? Can you catch it at the port?

I think it's $15 round trip from the port to Caye Caulker for adults. The pier where the water taxis leave from is right next to the pier where you get off the tenders.

Do a google search for "caye caulker" and one of the first results will be a website with all the info. It's something like gocayecaulker dot com, but I'm not sure exactly.

how long is the ride on the water taxi over to Caye Caulker from the cruise ship port

thanks

If you have been to Belize and were going back--and decided not to do an excursion---what might you do.

You can do a walking tour on your own. Just head out the Tourist Village, hang left and walk up Fort Street to Queen Blvd then left over the swing bridge (water taxi's are on your left just beofre th ebridge, BTW), down Regents to the St John's Church and the cultural center then back up over the swing bridge down Queen Street to the ocean/Cork Street and along the walkway to the light house and back to the Tourist Village. Stop in at the Wet Lizard for lunch on your return, or stop over at Smokey Mermaid just past the lighthouse in the Great House Hotel on Cork Street for lobster and seafood tiki skewers.

The water taxi takes about 40-45 minutes. There are 2 companies San Pedro and Caye Caulker Taxi. Some of these taxis are small boats with tarp covers, not too much of area to keep dry. Others are a bit more like a cabin cruiser on a lake. Neither are smooth riding. If your tender ride over seems a bit too rough for you, don't go out on the watertaxis. If the ride over is fine, then head over to Caye Caulker and find Carlos and his little outside grill and have a fresh caught fish for lunch. But rember, Cay Caulker is really more of a quaint old village with a few shops and some small inns or condos. Not a great beach site or bustling tourist area full of cruise passengers or jet setting yachts. Think laid back and almost a dive and you'll enjoy it.

Archived