Roatan Activities

MJPNYC

My girlfriend and I are on the February 19th sailing. I haven't gotten my ticket booklet yet, so I'm not sure what activities the cruise line offers.

Any suggestions on what to do on Roatan. We would like to snorkel as well as relax on the beach. Not sure if we should go to a resort or go explore on our own with a scooter.

Thanks for your suggestions!

I would not recommend arriving in Roatan without something planned, because it is somewhat poor and has a relatively small tourist infrastructure you could end up never happening upon a beach or sight you like. Also, when I was there 2 years ago there was no scooter rental at the peir.

I spent the day at the Sante Wellness Center (http://www.santewellnesscenter.com/). They have a bueatiful local, can get you snorkling and are an incredible value.

I could go on and on but basically:

1) I've been on 11 cruises in the past 8 years

2) I've lost count of the port days

3) This is the single best port day experience I have ever had, EVER, by a long shot.

I can not talk up the experience, the location, the value and the advice of Angela (the owner) near enough. I'm looking take a cruise back Roatan just to return here.

I would not recommend the kayak/snorkel trip sold by the Opera (I purchased it on the Jan 8-15 trip). It's basically a waste of good money as the kayak is just a paddle around the bay, not an ecotour, and the snorkel is done at a public beach called West End. I've snorkeled in many wonderful places, this does not rank as one of them. However, when I was in Roatan there were plenty of taxis to take you to where ever you would like to go. There is a message board on Cruise Critic devoted to Excursions and I know Roatan is listed on there. Perhaps you could get some better ideas off that site. I wish I had.

Jeremy

I was in Roatan last spring. When we got off the ship, we found a local man who took us in his boat, around to the east end. There he took us to a place to rent snorkels, (bananarama) stayed on the beach with us, we drank some beers, snorkeled and got lots of sun , he took us back to the ship in the afternoon. There he than helped us find the things we wanted to buy (vanilla, coffee and some local carving are the items to buy) and was generally a great help. Taking a motor boat around to the east end was really a wonderful experience. He was the only person offering this "local tour"

If you are interested in his name, I know I have his card somewhere....

I looked for his card and so far have not found it... my organization skills really need to improve!

But I did find the card for the snorkel shop and if you can't find the boatman you can take a taxi and rent the equipment yourself.. it was like 10.00 and they do take american.

I said east beach, but it actually is West Bay Beach and the snorkel shop is Bananarama owned by Ron Smith, an anglo. Phone number is 504-992-9679.

(if you ever decide to go back they have beach cottages too)

The guy who owned the boat, for some reason I remember Jose or Carlos, said that he meets each ship that comes in. (he was tethered right on the ships dock, but you had to walk to another area to get on) We bargained for him to take 4 of us and I remember it being somewhere about 40.00 a couple, we had such a good time we each gave him another 10.00 and his young assistant the same.

Roatan is a wondrous island and they teach English from K up. The island is actually owned by UK and is leased to Hondoras.

West Bay Beach is a very pretty beach, there is shade to get out of the sun and very sandy.

Let me know how your visit goes...

If I find the card in the next couple of days I will come back and post, but I wanted to give you as much info as I could before I missed you.

Roatan is considered a malaria active island and you will not be able to give blood for one year to the red cross. I didn't see any insects.

Hope this helps

Thanks robsvacaction for the tip regarding Sante Wellness Center! Hubby and I will be on the 2/5/05 cruise and just got off the phone with Angelina to reserve our day in Roatan to be spent at their home. We'll each have a massage, use their kayaks and beach to snorkle, also use their pool. They also will serve us lunch! I told her the posters on this site are giving them great reviews! Thanks for recommending this to us. Sounds like a great 'find' to me! She also said there was another couple from this cruise that has reservations as well, so that will be neat. Thanks again!

Flygirl2 - I so wish I was going too! I was just swaping files to my new computer when I came across pictures from that trip. Good memories!

It's such a nice day trip to Angelina's place, and it's so nice to be part of a small exclusive group rather than part of the herd! The pool is new since my trip, but I understand it's a "plunge pool." I still remember sitting in a hamack after my massage, watching the waves break over the reef in the distance, having fun on the beach, the wonderful herbal ice tea that was served. It was really bliss...

The other thing I remember was that I didn't have to haggle in the stores. I asked Angelina what a fair price was for a couple of items I wanted to buy and after she dropped us off I went into the market at the peir. I was stunned when the first price quoted was the one Angelina gave me.

The one warning I have is other people I met on the ship who simply stumbled onto the island without a trip planned seemed to have bad experiences. I was frankly baffled my day was so nice. But I've had similar experience in Jamica. The first time there I "did it myself" and really disliked it. Last trip I booked a tour before hand and had a wonderful time. My overall advice is that if you see alot of bad comments on a particular port, do research in advance and have something booked. That seems to make the more challenged ports more fun.

and I am looking for something interesting to do in Roatan. I really liked this wonderful island and want to make sure I do it right this time.

The last time I was there I went on the Tabyana Beach shore excursion with NCL and was disappointed because of the weather (anything boat oriented was cancelled but they still ran this nonrefundable excursion in the rain and wind). I had gone especially for the snorkeling and the water was so churned up that people weren't even going in. I do not typically choose the ship's shore excursions except that I heard rumours of this island being unsafe. I found that to the contrary, I felt very safe in the downtown area, and the people were wonderful.

This time I would like to do something independently and avoid overpaying in the interest of "safety". I would also like to avoid the embarrassment of being in a herd of drunk passengers who were making disparaging remarks about the island (poverty) in front of the locals. This happened on the bus back from the beach excursion last time and I was mortified at the rudeness. Perhaps this will not be the case with MSC clientele.

I do have more questions about the Sante Wellness Center. Robsvacation, thanks for this suggestion. It sounds wonderful and I've never done anything like this before so I might consider. I also like the idea that others from my sailing will be there. I was wondering, is the beach calm and clear near this spa? I was hoping for something like what I was supposed to see at the West End, but without the crowds (crystal clear calm water, palm trees, white sand and reefs). Also, is decent snorkeling available right on this beach. How is the kayaking? Is it simply open ocean or is there interesting stuff to explore (ie. mangroves, other beaches, reefs to snorkel, etc...)? Do you think the massage packages are worthwhile or would it be enough to just do that $35 beach and lunch package?

Thanks!

If you call the MSC office (800) 666-9333 they will fax you the shore excursions for any port you ask for. Suggest you be specific as when I asked for Lirica's 2/15 sail I received every shore excursion they provide world-wide. Way more info than I needed. Also, shore excursion descriptions come with your tickets but as I understand it you can not book them until you are on board.

Will try to answer what I can. The house sits on a little island with a few other houses, the beach right there is natural, a little rocky and not a truly sandy beach. You can see the waves breaking over the coral cliff, but it is a bit of a swim out there. Finally, if time permits there is a bueatiful man-made lagoon beach that they can take you too that is jaw-droppingly nice. There is some vegitation along the shore but I didn't see and mangroves per say. The treatment are inexpensive (roughly 1/2 the shipboard price) and high quality. I recommend you get a treatment.

Rob - you've been so helpful. Lil, I just called Sante Wellness Center at the number they have posted on their website after 5pm and Angelina is more than happy any questions you might have. At first I too, thought of just booking a snorkle day, but after reading all the reviews here I booked a massage and lunch for my husband and myself as well. Not sure if it's an hour massage, but thought the price was reasonable at $49. I read somewhere that she doesn't book more than 5-6 people a day. She said another person or couple from our ship has reservations too, so that's a total of 3-4 people. You might want to get your call in soon if you decide to do it.

Thanks Robsvacation for the info and Flygirl2 for the heads-up. I think I will try to call Angela this evening. I emailed through the web form and also the email address with some questions, but still no word. I read somewhere that they sometimes have trouble with getting email on time, so I'll call if I don't hear by this evening. I read one of Angela's responses somewhere that they do now accomodate more than 6 people, so maybe there is still time for me.

I was wondering if that $49 includes the transportation. I am trying to get an idea of the total cost for a typical massage, lunch and transportation. I guess that would also include use of kayaks (do they have more that one?) and snorkeling (we have mask and snorkel but not fins and life jacket) if receiving spa treatment? I was also wondering if massages can be done at the same time, or side by side, so my boyfriend and I don't have to lose beach time while waiting for each other.

Lilydale- The way I understood it the cost with the massage will be around $75 per person. I understood out of that money she will pay for the transportation. So I was budgeting a total $150 for the day, hopefully it might be a little less. This is our one splurge for the cruise, the rest of the places we'll find a beach on our own. You have a good question about having the massages at the same time. If you find the answer let me know. I just heard from my travel agent that she sent our cruise documents on Friday, so hopefully we'll have them tomorrow! I got my suitcase out yesterday and started putting things in it, I'm so excited! Here's my e-mail if you want to talk more about cruise plans. janzen4@cox.net

...I just got the response from Angela and Sante is sold out for our port day. She said she will let me know if someone cancels, but I realize that is unlikely.

I will have to resume my research for something else interesting to do. I'm sure that even if we just take a public bus to the West End and get the water taxi to West Bay, it would still be a great day provided the weather holds out this time. The prices that the cruise ship charges for the shore excursions is always ridiculous so it definitely pays to do some research. I think they are asking something like $60 for a beach day with lunch. Maybe I'll look into some of those other resorts on the West End that offer day use.

In other news, I got my documents yesterday! Next I'll have to start packing. Still don't have a cabin number though 'cause we took a guarantee.

Flygirl2, have a great time at Sante!

Frank,

Glad you'll be joining us on the Opera on 2/5/05. We have quite a group going on the "Roll Call" forum under 'all other cruise lines'. We have ice, sleet & snow mixture coming down here in Oklahoma, so I'm ready to cruise!

Archived