Cartagena - Self tour / taxi ride

jxsupr

We're on a cruise in 3 weeks arriving in Cartegena. We're interested in doing a self guided tour and wondered what is the best way to go about this. Arrange for a taxi for a block of time to take us to the different areas and wait for us, or take a cab to Old City, then take another to the fort and back again. Also I've read about white shirts, blue shirts, black shirts. I'm confused. Any help is greatly appreciated.

we walked down the dock into the cluster of shops, and outside into the courtyard where all the busses/vans were. Like every port, we were hounded by tour operators and drivers, and we ignored most of them. We asked some prices randomly to get a baseline, then we walked out of the entrance. We found a cab driver who was well groomed, spoke great english, and was not as aggressive and overbearring. We negotiated a very fair price (i forgot the amount, sorry), and we spent about 6 hours with him. Monistary, fort, old city, new city shopping district, beach, grocery store; everywhere we wanted, plus some great out-of-the-way gems. He referred to us as "beautiful, happy family" and we still say it to each other. Great experience, but YMMV. BTW, IDK his shirt color.

Hi--

I just read your post. We are going to Cartagena on a cruise in March on the Equinox. I just want to let you know some information that I found out and wrote to the other members on my roll call. I will copy it and paste it below and then you can decide what you want to do.

"Hi Everyone--

I just want to tell everyone what I read about Cartagena in today's newspaper. It said this: "A series of assassinations in the first weeks of this year have authorities worried that drug gangs from elsewhere are now fighting over turf in what until recently has been a tranquil city. National officials sent 270 additional police officers to patrol the streets, but that did not prevent an early morning assault by seven hooded and armed men on a hostel where they rounded up the 21 foreign guests, locked them in a room and stole all of their valuables."

After reading the above, I went online and saw this article which gave tips on being safe in Cartagena:

"SECURITY IN CARTAGENA

Everybody knows, that unfortunately Colombia has problems with guerrillas and cocaine cartels, but tourists have to know that Colombia has lovely beaches and cities and nice people too. You just come to Cartagena, it's one of the best places in the world. If you come here, you'll be happy, you'll be relaxed because you are in paradise. Here as everywhere in the world there are dangerous places, so it's necesary that you take care. Some precautions you should consider are: If you take a taxi, don't take it at the street bacause it may be that the driver will try to rob you with El paseo millonario?. This is when you get into a taxi and after a few minutes and other man gets into the taxi and tells you that you have to give him your Debito cards and money, when they have taken your things they leave you in a remote place. But, don't worry, this doesn't to need to happen to you, if you call phone to the taxis company, the driver will arrive to your hotel and he'll take you where you want.

Don`t walk alone in the night in dark streets bacause you could have a bad experience, it would be better if you walk with your partner or a close friend then, the night will be a lot of safer? Don't wear expensive items of clothing or carry expensive cameras or handbags because, this will increase your chance of being robbed. You should leave your expensive items in a safe place in the hotel. Well, worldwide there are dangers, you just have to enjoy your holiday in our beatiful city, taste our delicious foods, refreshing a beer, and for your relax, drink a exquisit cup of coffee.

Everybody needs to make money. The most annoying thing about Cartagena is the vendors at the beach in Boca Grande. They are mostly harmless, but like flies. Women offer to message your legs and arms with some water(sea water) and claim its medicinal value. They are persistent, just ignore them. You ignore all the vendors and they will leave."

Also, here is the U.S. State Department's website for the latest advisory on Columbia:

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/tw/tw_941.html

A group of us from the Equinox roll call have scheduled a tour in Cartegena with Lee Miles. Here is his website:

http://www.destinationcartagena.com/privatetours

Do you know what a roll call is? If you want to go with a professional guide due to safety reasons, maybe there is a group from your ship that you can join who has hired a guide. They might have that information on the roll call for your ship.

Enjoy your cruise. Mary

Archived