NCL Star is not going to BC for the Olympics

CRUZIN TOM

From the news desk in Canada. What will happen the the STAR for the month of February? We are scheduled to go on the Star when it arrives from the Olympics in Vancouver March 6, 2010. Maybe they will do an overhaul for a month. Time for new carpets anyway.

"NEWWEST SPECIAL PROJECTS LP

STATEMENT ON BEHALF OF NEWWEST SPECIAL PROJECTS

February 2, 2010. Edmonton, Alberta, Canada. It is with regret that Newwest

Special Projects LP is announcing the cancellation of its charter of the Norwegian

Star. The cancellation includes the pre cruise, scheduled for 6-10 February from

LA to Vancouver, the post cruise, scheduled for 2-6 March from Vancouver to LA

and Vancouver stay for the 2010 Olympic Winter Games. We sincerely

apologize to the guests who have booked with us for this inconvenience.

Newwest will be issuing refunds. Guests who have booked should contact us at

877.254.2010 or 780.450.1555.

FAQ

How many staterooms were available on board the ship?

1108 staterooms were for sale, including the pre, post and Vancouver portion of the

charter.

Will Newwest issue a refund for passengers?

Yes, Newwest will refund money to passengers in a timely manner. Passengers who

had booked with us should contact our Edmonton office at 877.254.2010 or

Will Newwest assist guests’ in finding alternative accommodations?

Yes, we will make every effort to assist in finding alternative accommodations for guests

attending the Olympics.

Why did Newwest cancel the charter?

Newwest made the decision to cancel the charter due to slower than expected sales,

along with expenses associated with the charter that were higher than anticipated. "

I read in the paper today the deal was scrapped because of a lack of bookings. They had dropped the prices drastically and no one was taking up the offer. The story was in the Edmonton Journal as the company that booked the Star is based there. It's too bad, when we sailed on The Star in December the crew could not stop talking about their trip to Vancouver for the Olympics, they were so excited.

As is being discussed in another thread, the real tragedy is not a cancelled cruise, but lack of expected accommodations for the games, particularly for those 11 terminally ill kids with the Make a Wish Foundation. The city is booked up, so if alternate hotels accommodations can't be found those kids will not get their wish. That's so very sad.

As is being discussed in another thread, the real tragedy is not a cancelled cruise, but lack of expected accommodations for the games, particularly for those 11 terminally ill kids with the Make a Wish Foundation. The city is booked up, so if alternate hotels accommodations can't be found those kids will not get their wish. That's so very sad.

Sad they can't stay on a cruise ship but I suspect it will all work out..

I suggest that Canadians as a whole like most Americans are a good hearted & generous bunch :) Several folks who got ripped off with online rental scams have been offered free accomos with private Vancouver, BC homeowners..so I am confident lots of places will be on offer within days...(wish I lived closer - I am on Van. Island - so no benefit)..

The rental situation isn't all that dire in & around Van now, as they are advertising & discounting also..:O...(who wld have thought it several yrs ago?) Besides having some accomos still available it seems folks are beginning to cancel previous bookings for various reasons thereby opening up those accomos.. :)

Have happy cruisin'.. :)

This really stinks for those kids. I'm sure some how the Canadian government or local Vancouver folks will do something for the Make - A - Wish folks. I know the hotel rooms are hard to come by up there but I'm sure there are generous people out there who will offer their rooms or something for part of the Olympic Games. They are over a two week period so even if they get to see some of it then I'm sure their wish will come true, right? :)

Sad they can't stay on a cruise ship but I suspect it will all work out..

I suggest that Canadians as a whole like most Americans are a good hearted & generous bunch :) Several folks who got ripped off with online rental scams have been offered free accomos with private Vancouver, BC homeowners..so I am confident lots of places will be on offer within days...(wish I lived closer - I am on Van. Island - so no benefit)..

The rental situation isn't all that dire in & around Van now, as they are advertising & discounting also..:O...(who wld have thought it several yrs ago?) Besides having some accomos still available it seems folks are beginning to cancel previous bookings for various reasons thereby opening up those accomos.. :)

Have happy cruisin'.. :)

I think (and hope) you are right. Nice as the Star may be, perhaps the sick children will have a far deeper experience staying elsewhere in Vancouver.

We lived in Atlanta before the games were there. People were trying to make a killing and booking rooms 100 miles away. Just before the games we moved out of state. Two weeks before they started, we got a 2 br condo right downtown for about $100 a night - had been at $1000 a night.

I am guessing the same thing is happening up there, along with the economy. As to other rooms being booked up - I bet there are rooms to be had and prices will drop.

The make a wish foundation is REFUSING generous offers from private citizens. The director stated they will only accept "official hotel rooms"

Bloody ridiculous!:mad:

There is often more to the story that that. In today's society, people have to be very careful about what they do. These decisions and eventual repercussions get downright messy.

The make a wish foundation is REFUSING generous offers from private citizens. The director stated they will only accept "official hotel rooms"

Bloody ridiculous!:mad:

Maybe it has something to do with insurance? Those are very sick kids.

Archived