Buying under age child alcohol

lcmc

No, its not legal (Im surprised its legal in Ohio?? wow). .. but Im sure people do it. Buy it yourself and the waiter will look the other way. Its not like they will follow you around either.

I think over 18, its legal in Europe, but no where else before someone points out europe cruises its legal.

Heck at 18 they are legal to drink in Alberta, Canada and some other provinces and 19 in the others.

The younger kids start, the more likely they are to get addicted.

Maybe you should get your facts straight before posting such definitive (and judgmental) statements.

http://www2.potsdam.edu/hansondj/AlcoholFactsandFiction.html

They are old enough to die in a war, but too young to drink a beer. Shame on this government.

AMEN!

"Old enough" and "mature" are two different things. Most 18-year old "men" I've ever seen are more like 15-year old BOYS.

So, you feel that it's okay to give 18 year olds that act like 15 year olds guns?

No! Just the opposite. Many 18-year olds DO act like they're 15 and shouldn't be going to war.

No one should be going to war...war in general shows just how immature we are as a whole IMO.

Having said that...I do NOT agree that many 18 years olds act like they're 15...only the spoiled and coddled ones.

Just the fact that people here assume everyone drinks to get drunk, is immature. In Italy, they drink wine like we drink water...no one walks around trashed, with the excpetion of tourists.

No...we are SO much better...pouring soda and 'juices' down our children's throats.

How evolved and mature we are :rolleyes:

No one should be going to war... I agree Having said that...I do NOT agree that many 18 years olds act like they're 15...only the spoiled and coddled ones.

Not necessarily. Age is just a number. 18 is an arbitrary age that was chosen who knows how many years ago when people only lived to be 50. Now that the average life span is nearing 80, 18 seems pretty young to be considered an adult. Here's an article.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/2007-12-12-emerging-adults_N.htm

Just curious to all the people that say they got carded at the bars on the ship, or were able to buy drinks on their own card while they were underage... I thought that when they swipe your card, your birthdate comes up, and if it's less than 21, they won't serve you. I know when my sister was around 18, she tried to buy a pina colada on the ship, and the waiter took her card, came back and said he couldn't give her a pina colada because she was underage. And I am now 24, but look much much younger, I have never once been asked to show my ID on the ship. I've been mistaken for a 15 year old before, but again, nobody has ever asked to see my ID or question how old I was when I ordered my drink.

No one should be going to war...war in general shows just how immature we are as a whole IMO.

Having said that...I do NOT agree that many 18 years olds act like they're 15...only the spoiled and coddled ones.

Just the fact that people here assume everyone drinks to get drunk, is immature. In Italy, they drink wine like we drink water...no one walks around trashed, with the exception of tourists.

No...we are SO much better...pouring soda and 'juices' down our children's throats.

Very true on your first point. However sadly most parents don't realize that their the one's that made their kid that way! ;)

Also, MANY Italian (and Italian-American) families start offering their children wine with meals as early as American families start offering their kids juice. I myself come from one of those families and know many others - and I do not see any evidence of more alcoholism than in families where they do not off alcohol.

Oddly, I keep hearing about the many benefits of moderate wine consumption in the news and more and more warnings in regards to giving children juice .

Not necessarily. Age is just a number. 18 is an arbitrary age that was chosen who knows how many years ago when people only lived to be 50. Now that the average life span is nearing 80, 18 seems pretty young to be considered an adult. Here's an article.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/2007-12-12-emerging-adults_N.htm

I didn't bother reading that (yet...I will get to it though).

18 years old people are less mature than they were years ago because they are spoiled.

I don't mean spoiled as in brats necessarily, I mean just the fact that you had to grow up prior to technology being as advanced as it was today as well as the fact that there were no helicopter parents back in the day. Long ago kids ddidn't go to school for 16 years...they went for very few years and then had to go out and work.

Our life span being longer (imo) has little to do with maturity level of anyone. Maturity level comes from a lot of different things including and most importantly, how your parents treat you...how much responsibility you are given AND...how tough a life you've had.

I don't care if a life span is 150 years. If a kid has a tough life, they are going to grow up a lot quicker than someone who is coddled. Let's face it... we are all coddled these days. I can't imagine living back 100 years ago. We have it easy...that's why kids aren't as mature.

I've been reading this thread since the beginning and it is has been quite interesting. First off let me say that I don't drink. I come from a family of alcoholics and have seen the distruction in can leave in it's wake! Secondly... I do agree that if a child can serve his/her country at 18, drive at 16, than a drink at 18 is no big deal. However with that being said, it isn't about signing for your child to have a drink or two. It's about breaking the rules made by Carnival and the lesson you are teaching them... I am far from perfect but I do try and follow the laws/rules especially those that I sign. When you agree to go on a cruise, you sign your name to 'uphold' Carnival's policy... including the age limit for drinking. I don't understand people thinking it is ok to break this rule (or smuggling alcohol onboard). Breaking rules because you don't agree with them is wrong and allowing your children to do the same is still wrong. Period. Should Carnival change their policy to allow 18 year olds to purchase alcohol, and as I said before, if they can go to war then... a couple of drinks no harm. But until then, stick with the rules set forth.

That misses the point.

If youngsters are drafted they are simply doing the will of their elders. Having an all volunteer force of 18 year-olds (even 17 year-olds) and up says these youths are mature enough to take up arms and when necessary kill the enemies of our government.

In my view a society that believes 17 or 18 year-olds are mature enough to make this kind of decision looks quite foolish saying simultaneously they are too immature to enjoy an adult beverage responsibly.

ok then....look at it this way....the government allows 17/18 yo's to fight for their country...makes them think it is their decision to enlist...and tells them to kill...according to your logic...which is feesible...if they are old enough to kill they are old enough to drink....true....now here is my thinking....

They are just following what their elders tell them to do...as you have stated, right?.......but my thinking is that they are not even old enough to say no to their elders...when they certainly could as there is no draft....and then they put themselves in harms way without realizing the consequences of just not being old enough to make an informed decision.

So....IMHO...they are too young to fight...or drink and the driving age should also probably be higher than 16...what age is good is up for debate.......

18yo's are just too yound to make properly informed decisions... agreeing to kill the enemy may be one of those decisions they are too young to make...drinking may be the other one...driving safely maybe a third.

In no way to I ridicule or despise the military..as a child of a veteran, I respect them...I just know I would not have been able to make that decision at 18.......that's all......heck, with hindsite being 20/20...I now know that the decisions I made to drink and drive at 18 were not made with one damn bit of intelligence...and the legal age was 18 at the time...and the driving decisions I made at 16 were downright stupid!!!

I've been reading this thread since the beginning and it is has been quite interesting. First off let me say that I don't drink. I come from a family of alcoholics and have seen the distruction in can leave in it's wake! Secondly... I do agree that if a child can serve his/her country at 18, drive at 16, than a drink at 18 is no big deal. However with that being said, it isn't about signing for your child to have a drink or two. It's about breaking the rules made by Carnival and the lesson you are teaching them... I am far from perfect but I do try and follow the laws/rules especially those that I sign. When you agree to go on a cruise, you sign your name to 'uphold' Carnival's policy... including the age limit for drinking. I don't understand people thinking it is ok to break this rule (or smuggling alcohol onboard). Breaking rules because you don't agree with them is wrong and allowing your children to do the same is still wrong. Period. Should Carnival change their policy to allow 18 year olds to purchase alcohol, and as I said before, if they can go to war then... a couple of drinks no harm. But until then, stick with the rules set forth.

agree...except that even 18 is too young for war..see post above.

decisions I made to drink and drive at 18 were not made with one damn bit of intelligence!!!

LOL...it could be said that most boys don't mature until the age of about 35-40.

That would leave us with a prtty old military ;)

I was just on a Carnival ship with both of my parents and I am 20. There were all kinds of teenagers walking around with alcohol and no one seemed to mind. We made friends with some of our waiters, and they were always getting drinks for my parents and always asked if I wanted something. So my dad would just be like yeah she does what do you want, and I would tell him, and my parents would hand him their sail and sign card and he would be back with my our drinks no problem. I even went to the bar a few times, and they still never questioned me. I had a really good time, and I was drunk most of the time...haha. When we got of from Mexico I drank a lot and went back on the ship because I was legal in Mexico obviously. I think the worst they would do if they caught him drinking would just say you know knock it off no more alcohol, and if they caught him again they might do something worse. If he doesn't flaunt it and become reallllllly obnoxious then you will be fine I am sure.

Okay, after reading this post, I change every post on this topic, No Alcohol for anyone under 21 or say 45 just for good measure.

They always say one bad apple spoiles the bunch, this sounds like it had a few bad apples in it.

NO ALCOHOL IF UNDER 21!

agree...except that even 18 is too young for war..see post above.

Yes! I agree that 18 is too young to enlist. Most of them at that age haven't a clue what they are signing up for and by the time they realize the truth... it's too late! :( I have a young man who is like a son to me who will be going shortly to Afganistan. I know that I will be praying nightly for his safety!

Just curious to all the people that say they got carded at the bars on the ship, or were able to buy drinks on their own card while they were underage... I thought that when they swipe your card, your birthdate comes up, and if it's less than 21, they won't serve you. I know when my sister was around 18, she tried to buy a pina colada on the ship, and the waiter took her card, came back and said he couldn't give her a pina colada because she was underage. And I am now 24, but look much much younger, I have never once been asked to show my ID on the ship. I've been mistaken for a 15 year old before, but again, nobody has ever asked to see my ID or question how old I was when I ordered my drink.

Don't they need your Sign n Sail card to bill you for your drink? That is how they are carding you, and I wonder how many "smart" bar tenders are just making "Virgin" drinks for the youngsters that want to play adult.

I heard they keep a bottle of sugar water (so it is a little thicker than water) behind the bar to pretend they are adding the good stuff to your drink. The young adults don't know, and mom and dad pay the full price for the pretend drinks for letting the kid have one anyway.

If there has to be a war I feel men in their 30's are smarter & more capable than teens.

And real smart men in their 30's are already married fathers...so they most likely won't be drafted.....or it will take awhile to get to them anyway.

My father was married and 34..no kids yet...when he was drafted for WW2. Unfortunately they called him up with many years still ahead for the war....just like everyone else.

The only problem for some 18 year olds being old and mature enough to be adults is their parents who won't let them grow up........it's not the age of 18.....it is the parents........

18 year olds given the chance are far more then capable to handle just about anything life can throw at them........if given the chance.........

If there has to be a war I feel men in their 30's are smarter & more capable than teens.

That still doesn't change the fact that a parent buying their son or daughter a few drinks on a ship is NOT horrible.

Like anything else, alcohol is fine in moderation and giving some to a person 18, 19 or 20 years old is NOT going to turn them into a raging alcoholic.

The only problem for some 18 year olds being old and mature enough to be adults is their parents who won't let them grow up........it's not the age of 18.....it is the parents........

18 year olds given the chance are far more then capable to handle just about anything life can throw at them........if given the chance.........

*Thumbs up*

Just the fact that people here assume everyone drinks to get drunk, is immature. In Italy, they drink wine like we drink water...no one walks around trashed, with the excpetion of tourists.

War is, always has been, and always will be an extension of diplomacy. Hard ball diplomacy, but still diplomacy. the USA has never understood that as well as most other countries. Here we need to be outraged to really fight a war. Iraq and Afghanistan are 'excursions.' Deadly enough, but excursions or diplomatic undertakings. That's why there is so much resistance to them, we are not outraged as a nation. Most countries have and have had wars to accomplish a certain specific purpose. We have wars "To End All Wars," and "To Make The World Safe For Democracy!" They worked out well didn't they.

Humans are very violent animals, always have been, always will be.

It has nothing to do with drinking.

I find this funny and reminds me of a situation in my son's life,

his first girl friend's parents always said, "you have to let kids grow up, and make mistakes"

Well they let their 15 year old daughter grow up and make mistakes, and a few days after turning 15 she was riding her motorcycle with mom behind her in the car, the girl was trying to be "grown up" and gave the bike going past a cool wave and almost hit the car in front of her that had stopped for traffic, she swerved to the right, hit a pole and long story short, (to late) broke her leg in several places, got to ride in a helicopter to the hospital, and almost died, now several years later she is still limping, and getting surgery for the scars from the mom "letting her grow up and make her own mistakes"

So should kids be allowed to grow up... Yes. Should they be allowed to make mistakes... Yes. Should parents do what they can to keep kids safe and make SMART choices... YES

Don't show them how to beat the system, or brake the rules especially the important rules.

If your child has not had experience with alcohol, is the place to experiment with it a cruise ship, in the extreme sun and heat, what if the child has a bad reaction to alcohol, can the ship handle that type of emergency (i hope so)

All the parents that say let them have a drink, are the ones that will say Carnival I want compensated because you let my son/daughter get drunk and fall down the stairs, or off the ship. Pay me Pay me Pay me...

Archived