cruise ship cancels for the Olympics and may leave terminally ill kids without wish

sunseeker09

No, it wasn't Carnival, it was the Norwegian Star, but I posted here because I've cruised with Carnival and this is where I read/post and knows lots of others do too. This is such a sad story...

The ship was chartered to do a pre and post cruise cruise to/from Vancouver, but more importantly it was designated to be a floating hotel for the Olympics. Due to lack of sales, it was cancelled. Now all the people expecting to use it as their accommodations are out of luck. Not only that, but 11 terminally ill children were to stay onboard in order to experience the games as part of the Make a Wish Foundation. They may now not see their wish come true if alternate hotel accommodations are not found. Unfortunately, at this late date the city is so booked up. Hopefully something can be found for them. How awful for everyone whose plans were ruined, but in particular for those kids who may never get another chance :(

No, it wasn't Carnival, it was the Norwegian Star, but I posted here because I've cruised with Carnival and this is where I read/post and knows lots of others do too. This is such a sad story...

The ship was chartered to do a pre and post cruise cruise to/from Vancouver, but more importantly it was designated to be a floating hotel for the Olympics. Due to lack of sales, it was cancelled. Now all the people expecting to use it as their accommodations are out of luck. Not only that, but 11 terminally ill children were to stay onboard in order to experience the games as part of the Make a Wish Foundation. They may now not see their wish come true if alternate hotel accommodations are not found. Unfortunately, at this late date the city is so booked up. Hopefully something can be found for them. How awful for everyone whose plans were ruined, but in particular for those kids who may never get another chance :(

How sad

I'm going to the Olympics and looked into staying on a cruise ship as my hotel. The rates they were charging were so outrageous it just wasn't worth it. They got way too greedy and it backfired on them.

I understand raising rates for a special event, but some places went way overboard. My $60/night room was upped to $400. I found a room in a private home instead.

I sure hope something can be worked out for everyone who has been left high and dry, especially those kids.

Archived