Temperature Taking During Embarkation?

Symi Sweet

My husband and I will be taking our very first SS cruise this August (British Isles) and are very excited!!:) Since we are SS newbies I was hoping some of you more experienced folks could help me. I noticed someone mention in a recent thread that the ship's doctor takes temperatures during embarkation...what happens if someone is actually running fever? Are they not allowed to go on the cruise and if this is the case are they refunded their cruise costs? :confused: Not that I anticipate there being a problem, but one never knows if with travels they may develop a sinus infection or light cold...unexpected things happen sometimes. :( Just want to understand SS policy better since I couldn't find this information on their website. Thank you in advance for any insight you can provide.

We were the posters who mentioned that, before boarding the Wind in Cape Town, Silversea's ship's doctor took our temperatures. She used a digital thermometer that she placed behind the ear and took a readout. This was done before we actually got to the check-in process.

We had received a letter with our documents that stated, due to swine flu other illnesses, Silversea would ask for medical information from passengers before boarding. We were not told what the consequences would be. However, if you have done the normal health questionnaire that most cruise lines use these days, you will see that, on the bottom of the form, it states that if you check "yes" to any of the questions, you will undergo an interview and possible examination before being allowed to board. I would imagine that Silversea would do the same.

You can call them and ask. However, it is always best to have cruise insurance for any possibility.

Enjoy your trip!

Archived