Oasis of the Seas Trip Report – January 23 – 30, 2010

They use the whole of Deck 5 for MTD. No problems with locations, we had several great locations. We didn't make any reservations, we walked in each night around 7-7:30. We waited one night, about 10 min for a table. This was "lobster" night, so it's popular.

Thanks for a great review and your pictures are just wonderful - can't wait till our cruise on April 17th. Also, thanks for the information regarding MTD. We are scheduled for the late seating but now we might just try MTD to see how we like it.

Hi alphakitty....your brief report has me motivated!!!! I've been working on my report for 2 days now and can't get finished!! LOL! Wasn't it wonderful? Rick and I took the Jost excursion which we LOVED, but stayed on the ship the rest of the time. Thanks to our Cruise Critic friends (Chuck, Marilyn, and Virginia) we were able to move from the MOST DISMAL table for 2 tucked in the VERY BACK ( do I have a bad rep or something?) to table #165 right by the Captain. We had great tablemates and neighbors! We've done all the Freedom Class ships, 3 Voyager class and others, but NOTHING compares to this ship. NOTHING. No, you never felt the crowds. The smoothest off/on experience EVER.

I had about 2 complaints tops. No biggies. I've finished 17 cruises on RCCL now and this was WAY over the top!!

Okay, back to my review....grrr...

Hi Linda :) Great meeting you on the ship....look forward to your report. I admit, I didn't spend too much time on mine.

I did forget to mention one very minor complaint which was the chairs on the balcony. I like that the table is higher and you are able to comfortably sit and have a snack or breakfast, but one reclining chair would be nice. I love to sit back and relax for a while in the morning and found the up straight chairs uncomfortable after a while.

I didn't mention debarkation either. We stayed on until last call about 9:15. We had a 12:45 flight. We found our luggage easily as most everyone's was gone. Lines were long for taxi's but moved quickly. We waited maybe 15 min and were off to the airport. Cost was $12.10 to the SW departures. The line to check baggage was very long, but only took 45 min. It looked to me like it was a 2 hour line at first! SW employees were going through the line checking flight times to be sure no one would miss their flight.

I totally agree Linda, it was wonderful....nothing compares.

We did a great cabin crawl with others on the roll call. That was fun. I met lots of great people on board. The most fabulous person was bragstarr aka Robin. :D

Much better!;)

I agree with Kitty and Linda. Best cruise and ship ever. Can't think of too much bad to say--really well run cruise experience!

So 9:15 is the latest time you can debark? We have a 3:00 pm flight out of Miami, so I wonder how we can fill up the time.

I've never done it, but I'd love to take an everglades tour. They will pick youup at the ship and drop you off at the airport.

Getting to Fort Lauderdale airport too early is no fun. You can't check bags or go to your gate more than 3 or 4 hours before your flight. There is inadequate seating outside the gate area.

alphakitty, what a detailed, helpful review! You clearly had a wonderful time.

I see that most of the entertainment is offered multiple times during the cruise. What nights did you see the Oasis of Dreams and Come Fly with Me shows? Did you prebook them?

Yes, we did pre-book all our shows. I kept a spreadsheet to keep track of them all even! LOL

I originally booked Oasis of Dreams on Day 2, the first formal night, Sunday. The show was rescheduled due to rough seas. The new time was on Day 4, Tues at 5:30 PM. They actually did the show while we were still in port in St. Thomas.

One thing I just thought of...if you don't have reservations for this Aqua Theater show, you can view it nicely from the deck 7 balcony. Get to the show early for good seats in the Aqua Theater! When we arrived for the show, the only seats left were in the first 3 rows...bench seats...and they were warning that you WILL get wet in these seats. Thankfully, we found the Deck 7 seating. These areas are open to the public, there are some chairs up there too. There is access from the Aqua Theater deck or by walking all the way aft in the hall on deck 7. We thought this was an even better location with all the flying and diving going on in the show than being in the Aqua Theater seats below. I believe the balconies on deck 14 have the same public access. :)

Come Fly With Me we saw on Day 6, Thursday at 9PM.

My Time Dining is the way to go, so you can schedule dinner around your booked shows. This worked out well for us.

Our Cabin - 7266 Cat D8 Port Side

We really liked the location of this cabin. It is in the aft, just off the stairwell and elevator bank on deck 7, very convenient to many popular ship areas. One deck up was Central Park, the perfect place to stroll the length of the ship. We were only one deck down to the Boardwalk and Aqua Theater at the aft and two decks down to the dining room (also aft) and Royal Promenade access and the Cafe Promenade.

This was an ocean facing balcony with a beautiful view. Port side is especially nice for sail away in Fort Lauderdale. No noise issues, even with the stairs just outside the door.

There is a loveseat, vanity with lighted mirror and nice wide screen TV. Plugs are under the desk, not so easy to access as many have mentioned. There is also a plug behind the bed. That's helpful for those who sleep with machines.

Loved the bathroom nightlight....automatically the light dimmed, but did not shut off completely. No more blinding light in the middle of the night.

Another thing they finally got right is the bar in the shower. The men I talked to had no idea what it was for, but the ladies were very appreciative of finally being able to shave the legs in an easy fashion.

We found plenty of storage space in the closet and other shelving near the vanity. We put the small coffee table in the closet and this helped open up the room.

No clothesline in the shower, but there are 2 hooks in there and 2 hooks in the bathroom wall and also more hooks on the bathroom door.

IMG_2595.jpg

IMG_2594.jpg

Thanks for the great info and the pictures! We are booked in 7276 in October so it was nice to see a closely comparable cabin picture and read your information. Although I realize ours is a D4, I'm sure it will be fairly close in size & set up. :D

I have read quite a bit about the "Jost excursion". Can someone please give me a link or info about it? We're cruising in September with a group of friends and trying to plan out our excursions. Thanks in advance!!

Alpha, we are staying at the hyatt place north also, glad to hear you liked it, did you call them to tell them what time your flight was coming in. We booked through priceline. And it did mention free shuttle from airport thanks for any info. Great review and photos, cannot wait to go!!!!

Alpha, we are staying at the hyatt place north also, glad to hear you liked it, did you call them to tell them what time your flight was coming in. We booked through priceline. And it did mention free shuttle from airport thanks for any info. Great review and photos, cannot wait to go!!!!

Glad everyone has enjoyed the review...happy to do it, it's nice to be able "pay it forward".

adow...sorry I don't know anything about the Jost excursion except that others on our roll call took a ferry there from St. Martin and enjoyed the day. It's not far off the coast of St. Martin.

Hi Merc and everyone sailing on Oasis..you are in for quite a treat. She is an amazing ship. :)

I did not call the Hyatt ahead of time, I just called their local number when we arrived at the airport and had our luggage. They will send the van out to pick you up. They have a couple of different vehicles. They were there shortly (maybe 15 min.), to pick us up. Our flight came in at 1030 AM.

They will also do a free shuttle to the cruiseport. :)

Thanks so much for the info alpha, our flight doesnt get in until 11:00pm so i might call ahead to make sure they will come that late. we will be coming in from San

Antonio TX, where my son will just have graduated from the airforce boot camp. Normally i would have done an early flight to spend the day and night in ft lauderdale. thanks again.

Archived