Isla Margarita

crisp1

I haven't been there in maybe 4 years so I don't know if it's changed. The ship docked right next to an area where the natives set up numerous stands with all sorts of things for sale; cigars, art work, crafts, etc etc. there were some food tiems as well. Beyond the shops (a short walk) was a beautiful beach. You could walk way out in shallow water. I'm sure there are other beaches and things of interest a cab ride away but this worked well for us and we enjoyed the day.

I believe the port on the Isla Margarita is quite a distance from most places of interest.Is there anything near to the port?????

Any info would be greatly appreciated.(a nice beach or something)

Please could you include how to get there and cost if you can.

This is my 1st cruise and would be very greatful of any infor mation.

Thank you.

Since the port is at least 45 minutes drive from the nearest attractions, we recommend taking a ship's tour here. We have been to Margarita twice.

The first time, 9 years ago, we took a ship excursion from the Ocean Princess. We went to the central highlands to see an old Spanish colonial estate, an old fort, 2 town squares with cathedrals at the center, a small shopping center and finally the capitol Porlamar. Everything was great, except for Porlamar, which had aggressive vendors.

The 2nd time, 4 years ago, we stayed at the port and had a nice time shopping for souvenirs. Like the previous poster said, there was a nice beach close to the marketplace.

From fellow passengers, we heard great reviews of boat rides in La Restigna Lagoon, a well-known mangrove lagoon with plenty of wildlife. We may go there next time we visit. We also heard good things about the beach at Isla Coche, an island off the coast from the port area.

Hope this helps.

DavidnSteph

• 4 weeks later...

I was at Isla Margarita last year, and it was a lovely, relaxing day. There's a beautiful beach right next to the pier and it was like being on one of the cruise ship's private islands, but without the high cost. You can get snacks, sodas and beer there, and there's lots of vendors selling trinkets and pearls of all colors. After running around the Caribbean all week, it was nice to laze on the beach and just stroll back to the ship. (After buying a beer from a vendor for a reasonable $2, I realized there was a liquor store there that sold beer for $1. People were buying backpacks full and bringing them back to the ship!)

• 4 months later...
Anyone have any idea where the Pullmantur Cruise ship Ocean Dream is docking on Isla Margarita?

We were their in March this year and they only use one port, this is from my review-

Just off ship we booked a tour for $30 each which took us to Guamache, Juan Griego, Playa El Agua for food and drink and downtown Porlamar and then La Asuncion.

Near ship are 2 nice beaches and a few market stalls.

El Guamache is the name of the cruise ship port/dock at Margarita island, Venezuela. The port area has 120 vendor stalls selling jewelry, art, T-shirts, and a great variety of handicrafts in nice palm-frond roof booths. All are selling their handmade wares in US dollars, pounds, or euros, so there is no need to change money into bolivars if you're planning to stay in the port area and not go to see the island. The port area is about 45 minutes away fr om Porlamar (the main town on the island). There is also a small but nice and very clean beach for cruise tourists to enjoy. The access to this beach is absolutely FREE and it has clean restrooms/toilets.

You can rent shaded lawn chairs, jet skis, paddle boats, and banana boatsthere. You will not see local islanders on this beach - it is reserved for tourists on cruise ships.

• 2 weeks later...

So I went through all the old post and found that snorkeling isn't really an option near the port. However, I am still planning a beach day and shopping at the little market. Anyone know if the beach offers watersports, like parasailing and how much they cost there?

• 1 month later...
I've never responded to any comments about the "Swimming With The Dolphins" excursion, because I've never personally taken the tour. I, too, hear conflicting comments. I have been to other similar dolphin tours on other islands, and I haven't found one yet that is up to U.S. standards. I cannot personally vouch for this one. I can tell you that the dolphin swimming area is inside an amusement park called "Diverland". It's not open all the time, just during "peak" seasons. It's a smaller park, with carnival type rides, but in a permanent area. The island just isn't big enough to financially support a larger amusement park, so I wouldn't be suprised if the dolphin area is a bit run down or not up to par like it should be. I personally think that their prices are high. That's why I haven't done it yet. I love dolphins, and I would hate to think that they are being mistreated in any way. I just don't know what people are basing their opinions on. I'm sorry I can't help any more than that.

Hi there,

We will be visiting Isla Margarita on 11th January 2010 and being Rollercoaster enthusiasts wish to ride the rollercoaster at Diverland. Someone previously said( not on this forum) that the amusement park is not open on a Monday and so I wanted to know if this is true and whether anyone has an email contact name or address for the park as I can't find any information on the web.

Thanks in advance for any help.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi there,

We will be visiting Isla Margarita on 11th January 2010 and being Rollercoaster enthusiasts wish to ride the rollercoaster at Diverland. Someone previously said( not on this forum) that the amusement park is not open on a Monday and so I wanted to know if this is true and whether anyone has an email contact name or address for the park as I can't find any information on the web.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Here is their website: http://www.parquediverland.com.ve/

You will be there one week before us! That Monday, Jan. 10 is a Holiday here in Colombia and I am pretty sure it is celebrated in Venezuela also. So even if they are normally closed on Mondays, they might be open due to the holiday.

• 2 weeks later...
Here is their website: http://www.parquediverland.com.ve/

You will be there one week before us! That Monday, Jan. 10 is a Holiday here in Colombia and I am pretty sure it is celebrated in Venezuela also. So even if they are normally closed on Mondays, they might be open due to the holiday.

Hi Globalwife,

Sorry for the lateness in my reply.

Thanks very much for the information you provided including the website , very helpful indeed !!

Let's hope that the holiday is celebrated in Venezuela too ! Although our itinerary is contradicting itself somewhat , one place says we are there on Monday 11th and the other says we are there on Saturday 9th, so don't really know which one to believe ! :confused: LOL

Enjoy your holiday also and once again thanks for your help.:)

Archived