Winter Storm in USA

sha88

We are suppose to leave out of Philadelphia Sunday morning for San Juan, we tried to get out Thursday or Friday but nothing was available. Even tried to fly to usairs hub in NC couldn't get to there either, Its just wait and see now. Have about 10-12inches now. As for flying in early that would have been today!!!

Glad we have trip insurance!!!

We are suppose to leave out of Philadelphia Sunday morning for San Juan, we tried to get out Thursday or Friday but nothing was available. Even tried to fly to usairs hub in NC couldn't get to there either, Its just wait and see now. Have about 10-12inches now. As for flying in early that would have been today!!!

Keep us posted. I hope that you are able to go!

I'm shoveling 8-10 inches out of the driveway this morning in the Cleveland area ... and our county wasn't even in the advisory area. Lot's of cancellations of flights heading east!!

I was in Akron last week so I missed the storm in TN and the one y'all just got. I am flying into Cleveland on Wednesday night to drive my parents car back to TN as I am moving them here next week. Hopefully by then it will be over!

For those of you who got out of Pittsburgh early, be glad you did. We were forecast to get 8 to 14 inches and woke up this morning to about 20 inches and its still snowing. Pittsburgh Int'l rarely seems to close but they suspended all flights this morning and are hoping to start up operations again this afternoon. Enjoy your cruise!!!!

Dave

The word from Baltimore and Washington DC is that we are in record breaking territory. We had 21 inches at 10 AM and perhaps 10 inches more. AAA guy on TV says his guess is Weds or Thurs for major roads and later for residential. Private jet hanger collapsed at Dulles and the Marriott downtown lost the skylight over the BAR:eek:

I am so sorry for all who had travel plans -- our area is handling the snow in our usual way NOT AT ALL but all the hot air should help soon. At least your government is not spending tax money today!

I have about 45 people getting off their cruise this morning and on a bus headed for Orlando airport. When I checked this morning most of their afternoon flights were still a go, but since they have closed the Pit airport. Lets hope it reopens. But if I had to be stranded somewhere I would rather be in Florida after my cruise then in Pit not able to get there.

Pittsburgh is almost shut down.

I'm in Northern VA - we have 24" of snow on the ground and about 5-9 more inches to come. I was supposed to be flying to San Juan today for a S. Caribbean cruise but canceled about 6 weeks ago when my Mom decided not to go. There is no way I could have flown out today/tomorrow. Thank you Mom! Thank you travel insurance! Does anyone know if travel insurance covers weather related cancellations? :confused:

I hope you can get out. I was supposed to fly Phila to Charlotte tomorrow morning and found out that my flight was cancelled about 2 hours ago. This was on Delta. I had my ticket refunded and booked a USAir flight from Newark for tomorrow morning. You may want to re-check your flight status.

Good luck!!

Here in Elkridge MD we have 33" of snow. It just stopped. I really feel for everyone trying to get where they need to go. When we cruise in winter, usually it is this week we go. Thankfully, we are doing a family cruise in April. Pretty much assured of nice weather. But then again...

The Washington metro area is cancelled. NOTHING not even the mail is getting through. Those who try it go out and get stuck. Metro (bus and trains) cancelled until Monday when the Mayor says all will be open. Anyone want to bet -- I could use some money for my cruise in 3 weeks!

I would even bet that some of this snow will be here when I leave!

Yeah, we didn't make it. We couldn't do the 5AM because of getting dogs to kennel (and worries about Atlanta), the 1PM was oversold, we cleared no standby lists, so we had no other choice but to hang our hopes on the 7PM. They got us loaded, deiced, and we were looking down the runway when the co-pilot came on to do a final wing inspection....and they were already re-covered with snow. Flight cancelled but scheduled for today at 9:30. Night in a corner on cold airport tile (hotels sold out). 9:30 then delayed to 11:30. 11:30 then delayed to 4:00. We place holds on flights/ hotels to meet the ship in Grand Cayman. Then flight at 4:00 is cancelled and next flight available is on TUESDAY. Oh, and the state of emergency had the roads closed for getting home. Oh, and we didn't buy trip insurance (I know, I know, seems you all are a lot of believers in that here but believe me, no lectures needed this time).

Finally just got home when they reopened a few roads and shoveling 3 1/2 feet of snow to get in driveway. Gotta say, as beautiful as the sun is across this pristine blanket of white snow, the sunset across the Atlantic over Miami is really being missed.

The colliding disaster of this blizzard, the unfortunate selection of Super Bowl weekend for our cruise (all flights sold out everywhere), and the smaller size of our airport now really just did us in.

Anyhow, glad some of you made it.

Yeah, we didn't make it. We couldn't do the 5AM because of getting dogs to kennel (and worries about Atlanta), the 1PM was oversold, we cleared no standby lists, so we had no other choice but to hang our hopes on the 7PM. They got us loaded, deiced, and we were looking down the runway when the co-pilot came on to do a final wing inspection....and they were already re-covered with snow. Flight cancelled but scheduled for today at 9:30. Night in a corner on cold airport tile (hotels sold out). 9:30 then delayed to 11:30. 11:30 then delayed to 4:00. We place holds on flights/ hotels to meet the ship in Grand Cayman. Then flight at 4:00 is cancelled and next flight available is on TUESDAY. Oh, and the state of emergency had the roads closed for getting home. Oh, and we didn't buy trip insurance (I know, I know, seems you all are a lot of believers in that here but believe me, no lectures needed this time).

Finally just got home when they reopened a few roads and shoveling 3 1/2 feet of snow to get in driveway. Gotta say, as beautiful as the sun is across this pristine blanket of white snow, the sunset across the Atlantic over Miami is really being missed.

The colliding disaster of this blizzard, the unfortunate selection of Super Bowl weekend for our cruise (all flights sold out everywhere), and the smaller size of our airport now really just did us in.

Awww....so sorry you didn't make it. I hate to hear these kinds of stories, especially during the time of the year when you really need a Caribbean getaway!

OMG, I am so, so sorry you didn't make it out. Your post brought tears to my eyes. You sure gave it a valiant try. Wow, don't know what else to say except, really sorry it did not work out for you.

Shoo

I am so sorry for you I too wish you were looking at the sunset over Miami. Thank Goodness next year the super bowl is in Dallas.

Yay! So glad you made it, and it sounds like your boss saw reason in the end which is nice. How fun for you to be in south Florida for the SB. Enjoy your cruise -- the Canal is awesome!

Thanks so much. We are getting on a bus to stadium to check out what is going on there. No tickets, of course, just going to see what is happening. South Beach was crazy yesterday with all the fans, etc.

Archived