April 1 Southern Caribbean

fishlips

One of the listed ports is Grenada. If memory serves me correctly that island basically was wiped slick by Hurricane Ivan in the fall of 2004. I remember initial reports saying that 90% of the homes on the island were destroyed. Will there still be a stop there? I've already booked this cruise and was thinking about excursion options when I remembered about the hurricane.

The NCL Spirit was the first cruise ship to return to Grenada after the hurricane. Brought supplies and lots of tourist to spend much needed dollars in their damaged economy. Other lines have returned to Grenada as well. There is a TON of good info on Grenada in the thread category (I don't know exactly if that's the right term) called Caribbean-other. There is a very helpful poster who lives in Grenada, named Jumbie. He can answer your Grenada questions, but he will only be on the postings until the end of the month, when he resumes his studies. Check out recent threads, but also scroll through the December threads. I was initially very concerned about our stop in Grenada next month, but what I read in the postings really reassured me. I can't wait to see the island, meet the people, and spend some money there.

Fishlips,

A group of folks from this board are posting on the NCL rollcall board for the 1 April Spirit cruise. They have some info on what's available in Grenada. I've had contact with a SCUBA shop there, and at least the diving is still superb.

I do know that unless there's another hurricane in the next 70 days, the Spirit will be there on April 5th.

Hope you join our Cruise Critic group.

Ninety percent of the homes were damaged, but not destroyed. Some homes, churches, and the stadium were completely destoryed, but life is now getting closer to normal. The roads are driveable, and the forest is beginning to come back. You should have no worries about taking a tour in Grenada.

Archived