dissembark question

dmart82

We cruised about 20 plus years ago and things have changed alot from what i am reading. We are taking our two teenage boys for the first time. My question is can we not put our luggage out the nite before and just wheel our own luggage off, because we need to take a taxi to amtrak/penn station. I thought i read that we could some where, but confused about luggage going through customs. Any info on this would be great.

Yes, you can keep your luggage.

You are not forced to put it out the night before. It just is great pain to deal with your suitcases to drag them along while you wait to disembark. You will have to leave your room between 7 and 8 am and wait in a designated area on board the ship untill your color tag gets called.

If you just have carry on suitcases (the ones that fit in the overhead compartment in an airplane) you will be fine.

If you have the huge suitcases, put them out the night before and clearly identify/mark them (over do the marking), you will have no problem finding them quickly in the luggage pick up area. This may add about 10 minutes to your debarkation process. Ofcourse keep your valuables, medications etc, on you.

They have this figured out by now, the sooner everyone is off the ship, the faster they can turn it around. Time is money.

Keep in mind you may have to carry those bags down stairs and escalators.

We have found that now there are so many people willing to do the self-disembarkment, it's a piece of cake to find your luggage in the terminal any more. If you do want to take your own bags off, only have one per person, much easier than multiple cases.

You will pick up your bags, or carry them off before going through customs, usually just handing over your pre-filled declaration form. I've never seen anyone have to open their bags with the exception of a couple times the drug sniffing dogs have zeroed in on particular cases.

You might save 2-5 minutes by self-disembarking, it's up to you if it's worth the hassle.

Archived