When was your first cruise?

kkmonga

I booked my first cruise through a travel agent in 1988. I went solo to the Southern Caribbean on the Carla Costa. I flew on a red-eye from San Francisco to San Juan. My cabin was a solo inside - tiniest thing you've ever seen. Since I had nothing to compare it to, I thought it was heaven. A few months later I took my first Princess cruise and realized the difference.

For my first my dh sent me with his aunt to help get her out of her depression (her first too). she had lost her husband (his uncle, much older than she was) about 4 years before that, and she just couldn't shake off the depression. While the cruise, of course didn't miraculously completely cure it, but it did start her on the right track. It was in March of 2007 on the Princess Star out of Fort Lauderdale, FL. Then I was hooked and it took me a while to convince him to book one, but I got him on his first, Dec 27 thru Jan 1, a New Years cruise, on the Carnival Fantasy out of New Orleans. Now we are sailing on his 3rd, my 4rth on May 2, and have our 4rth and 5th booked for October 2. This year is unique, we will probably only go about every 1 to 2 years, but I will enjoy this year.. oh boy will I enjoy it.

I know it was a long time ago, the Carla C from Costa Cruise Line. We left San Juan going to Southern Caribbean. Small ship, I believe only 20,000 tons. When it went through the Mona Canal, (between PR and DR), i got sea-sick as a dog and it lasted about 24 hours. I found out why they put handrails in the hallways. I believe that I threw-up in ever available trash can in that ship. By the way, this was in 1969 and I was a freshman in college. Went with a large group of friends. When we arrived at Curacao, I was so used to the ship movement that I had to get on the floating bridge to feel better again.

Fond memories!!!

What ship did you sail on when your took your first cruise? Mine was the Carnivale, February 14, 1982! I sailed solo in a guaranteed quad-share. I was hooked for life! Preparing for my 28th cruise on the Triumph this March (19th Carnival cruise.)

First one was our Honeymoon in November of 1997 on the Carnival Fantasy. Beautiful ship at the time. Going on our 3rd Fantasy class ship (Ecstasy) in October.

Ours was aboard the FANTASY on April 6, 1995. It was a 3-day cruise to Nassau. I wouldn't even consider doing another 3-day again....way too short! Immediately after returning from this cruise, we booked our 2nd one!

The rest, as they say, is history!!!

:cool:Bill

Ours was 2/1995 RCCL Song of America out of San Juan. Didn't care much for the whole cruise thing...UNTIL 1998 after 7Nights on the Carnival Paradise.........hooked every since!!!!

My first cruise was on the HAL Statendam (IV) in June 1978 one week to Bermuda. I heard the call to the sea after that, but I couldn't afford to answer it. So I joined the Navy and let them PAY me to cruise for the next 25 years.

I wanted to cruise again after I retired, but I felt we couldn't afford it.

This year we will celebrate becoming debt free (everything except the house) by taking our cruise to Alaska.

My DW hasn't even stepped foot aboard a cruise ship and she is already talking about "the next one." I love it.

We went on our first cruise in 2006 on the Norwegian Dawn and have been hooked and booked ever since, LOL! I am just sorry we didn't go sooner but now that our kids are grown it's a lot easier.

We're looking forward to our upcoming cruise on the Carnival Miracle! :D

My first cruise was June 2005 on the Elation. It was our 15th wedding anniversary. I will now be a cruiser for life. Have one planned for this June to celebrate our 20th wedding anniversary on the Freedom.

My first cruise was Norwegian Dream July 2007. This was a trip for our 15th anniversary. We went to Bermuda during a hurricane. The trip is nice because you are at port for 2 1/2 days. However, because of the storm, they moved us from St. Georges to Hamilton on the last night so they could be sure to get the ship out of the port. So we ended up being able to see both ports!! Great trip!!

I never really even considered cruising until 1998:eek: and then we decided to book a 5 day Western Caribbean on the Tropicale, it was a trip I will never forget. My jaw dropped in amazement to second we boarded, the ship was so beautiful and had so much to offer in a fairly small space.

I will never stop cruising, it is the ultimate vacation.:D

My first cruise was on the Carnivale 9/16/85

my second was on the Festival 10/11/87.

When I was recently checking on my cruise status as to the number of cruises not matching I was told that Carnival did not have any records of my first two cruises and they told me it was up to me to prove that I was on them by producing a ship key to my cabin or a picture of the ship in port with my picture in front of it.

Has any one else had this same experience since some of you have been on both ships?

Is it even worth it to follow up with proving it?

I have 8 cruises with Carnival.

I also have 5 with Princess and 10 with Royal Carib.

Boarding pictures with date also qualify as proof. I would say it is worth it as you will qualify as Platinum.

It was in March or April 1987 on Home Lines to Bermuda. I don't recall which ship. The Homeric, perhaps? My friend's dad was asked to be the officiant on an Easter cruise; they invited me along. I was 18. My friend and I had our own cabins and thought we were the coolest.

Around 1982 on an old tub of the French Parquet Line . . . it was a transition cruise from LA to Vancouver . . . total disaster . . . wife fired the travel agent for suggesting it.:mad: A couple of years later on the old (unstretched) NCL Seaward with our son . . . world of difference . . . beautiful ship . . . had a great cruise.

Then the Carnival Tropicale with 18 of our friends . . . the marriage didn't work out, but I've been hooked on Carnival ever since.:D

The Seaward/Norwegian Sea was never stretched. Only the Majesty, Wind, and Dream were. Still, the Seaward was one of the biggest cruise ships when built and now is considered small :)

Sorry, Champ . . . my bad . . . I thought they stretched them all.:o I must reiterate, we loved that NCL ship and the itinerary. But, the TROPICALE was a cruising bargain at the time @ $600 pp locally out of San Pedro, so we tried Carnival and never looked back. Didn't even know that getting that many friends to go with us gave us one FREE pass plus I hit the craps table for over $600 the last night at sea, so, the whole thing was a push for us ! ! :) Both my ex and I cruise Carnival to this day (just at different times, of course):D

My first was on the Carnival Carnivale in 1978. That is when cruising was more expensive and EVERYTHING was free. Was single and had a ball.

Out of curiousity, how much were people paying for cruises back then? Also, you mentioned everything was free.....So it was all included....alcohol too? Like I said, i was just wondering, everyone always says cruises were expensive back then.

The Miracle in October 2004. Miracle was still a new ship then and everything about that cruise was PERFECT!!! We have been on five more Carnival cruises since then (and are looking forward to #7 on the Liberty) and all our cruises have been great but, like they say...you never forget your first!!! :D

Archived