Is Celebrity Mercury Accessible?

They have very few accessible cabins and you must call Celebrity directly to get the information. The problem with Mercury that we've found is that she's their oldest ship and probably the least totally accessible of all their ships.

We were on the Mercury in 2006 and found it relatively accessible. The top two decks are not accessible (no elevator to these decks) and there was no pool lift, but otherwise it was a very nice accessible ship and cabin.

The eight accessible cabins are on one deck (Plaza) with a wider hallway, so you were never blocked in by housekeeping carts as on many ships, and it was easy to get to the elevators. The bathroom door was a sliding door, which was OK, although on the heavy side. We had plenty of storage and floor space for 3 people in cabin 5095 (two beds and a bunk). You can identify these cabins on the deck plans by the small right triangle next to the cabin number.

Plaza Deck plans

Splinter,

Thank you for the info and the link. I had looked at the deck plans before posting, but the symbols are really tiny and I didn't even notice them! Now I see what cabins are available!

Can you tell me how you get from the front of the ship where the cabins are, to the back of the ship where the restaurant is?

Did you enjoy the ship itself?

Yes, we did like this ship, although we had an unfortunate experience in the dining room that soured the trip a bit (nothing to do with accessibility).

To get to the dining room you go up to the appropriate deck on an elevator and then travel back, then take another elevator down. As I remember if we were going from our cabin we usually walked past the shops on the Promenade Deck for this. A common method on many ships.

Okay, I did it! Booked a cabin on Mercury for early 2011. Now I just have to wait for DH to decide he wants to go, and I can tell him I already booked! I think the rate is really good now, a year in advance, and I wanted to make sure we get one of those 8 cabins!

Thanks everyone for your input :)

• 2 weeks later...

If you are taking one of the 12 nights out of Baltimore there were shore excursions for chair users on Saint Thomas, Saint Kitts and Antigua. All are easy sight seeing type excursions but 3 on one cruise is a big improvement for Celebrity. And all 5 islands are docks. We did the San Diego to Baltimore last Fall and non-walkers could not use tenders.

Unfortunantly, Splinter is right and there still are no lifts to pools or hot tubs as of February 13, 2010.

• 2 weeks later...

I use both a scooter and a rollator, and found the Mercury to be terrific for me. I was fortunate to end up on the Plaza deck in one of those wide halls, and I was able to park both the scooter and the rollator outside at night without blocking the halls for anyone.

The shore excursion staff was totally ignorant about which excursions were actually accessible for me, giving me exactly the opposite advice they should have. But this MAY be because I was on a repositioning cruise and they didn't have as much experience with those ports.

I'm going to take the Mercury again next January, and we're booked in the same cabin as before. However, I will be wary of the advice given by the shore excursion staff until proven otherwise.

Have a great cruise!

Archived