? for those who sail out of NJ

ntengwall

I am a total hot-weather, Caribbean girl! We are sailing out of NJ in 40 days for a 9 nighter on EOS. Have those who sail out of NJ felt like 2 days were "wasted" in a sense since you don't get the nice, hot weather you would get on days 2 and 8 as you would if you left from FL? Or do you find those days fun because it forces you to find other things to do on the ship?

I have sailed out of NY and NJ nine times already. We have left in Sept, Aug, July, April and May. Never once did I feel like any days were wasted :D We have always had nice weather. The Explorer is a wonderful ship with tons and tons of things to do. You will have a great time, don't stress what you cannot change. (the weather that is;))

The Explorer is a big ship and there are other things to do. Overnight you should be out in the Gulf Stream, so if the weather is good, you can be outside the first sea day although maybe not in a bathing suit. Your 3 boys may enjoy the kids club, rock climbing, basketball, minigolf, shuffleboard, ping pong, and ice skating. I'm not sure about the hot tubs for them, but you can certainly enjoy both the outdoor and indoor hot tubs as well as the sauna and steam room in the ladies locker room. If the weather is not good, there is a card/game room on deck 14 (free) as well as a kids video game room (not free). IMO all this is better than spending the better part of a day in the airlines system going to Florida. Two years ago we came back in early March and folks were outside on the pool deck until about 4 pm the day before we docked. Last year, we sailed in Feb and that was not the case.

We never feel as though the days are wasted. We've sailed out of Bayonne a few times now, and we love it. On the first full sea day if it's still cold they have nice fleece blankets on the deck loungers. :) I personally love to go out in a hooded sweatshirt and comfy pants and read with a blanket. Then it makes getting to the warm weather even more exciting!!! Have a great cruise!

We sailed Feb. break 2008. It warmed up already the 2nd day down, windy but we were in bathing suits at the pool. Coming back it was 85 the first day back up, we were lucky. There's lots to do for the kids, it's worth it to get out of this cold weather here.

We just got back,(1/24-2/05) and 2 days were wasted going and one day back was wasted. The seas were very rough, and if you have a foward room your really in for it. Somthing kept hitting the hull and it was metal hitting metal and very high winds, waves. So not much sleep, we got ear plugs.:(

BUT the rest of the trip was great.

We would not leave out of NJ again in the winter

We sailed out of NJ last January and shared your concerns. They were totally unfounded--WE LOVED IT.

The seas were quite rough, but that just made it fun! There were many seasick people, I admit, but since DH and I were not, we really liked it. It was especially nice at night, when drifting off to sleep it reminded me of the gentle sway of a hammock.

By morning of the first sea day, we were already down by the Carolinas and the weather was warm enough to be out on deck with no jacket (and I do NOT like to be cold).

I loved having the extra days at sea. You really get time to experience the ship.

I wouldn't hesitate to do it again--I just wish the bigger ships would come further north.

Rachel

Archived