Silver Shadow July 28th--anyone else going?

debs0712

• 2 weeks later...

This will be my 5th cruise to Alaska but also our 1st cruise with Silversea. You will love Alaska. It is gorgeous!

Have you thought about shore excursions? My husband can't wait to do the helicopter again in Juneau.

I have done the White Pass train 3 times and it is beautiful. We will probably do it again with our friends who are traveling with us. (It is their 1st Alaska cruise.) I find that everyone falls asleep on the way back though because of the noise of the train and the motion.

I am not sure if I will do any helicopters? Not my thing although I did go once to see the Grand Canyon. My husband will be going for sure and I think that he will do the one that is "Pilot's Choice".

Where do you live in Michigan? My husband has family around Detroit. I lived in Lansing as a kid.

It sounds as if you're very experienced with regard to Alaska travel and excursions. We are located near Linden/Fenton, in Gaines, Mi. Gaines is about 15 miles(by the back roads) N.E. of Lansing. This area is mostly farms and small acreage homesites. We much prefer this to the cities, although it is inconvenient when seeking local entertainment.(everything is at least 30-45 minutes drive from here. :rolleyes:

Must also be difficult to get to the closest airport?? I was a kid when I lived in Lansing. My father was doing his PHD at the time.

Are you flying in early to Vancouver? We are flying in the day before the cruise and staying at the Fairmont Waterfront hotel for 1 night. We have been to Vancouver a few times and done all the touring. It is a beautiful city.

You are right about airport proximity, especially for direct flights.

We plan on a few days in San Francisco, and then on to Vancouver the day of departure. I'm sure Vancouver is a very beautiful city, we plan on staying a few days after the cruise to Alaska.

My brother lives in San Francisco so it is a city that I know well. My mother lives in Sacramento.

We will fly home the day that the cruise ends. We have a 11:30am flight already booked. We are lucky because it is esy to get a direct flight between Montreal and Vancouver.

• 2 weeks later...

We haven't booked any excursions yet, although it's our plan to meet with our TA next week to do so. Since this is our first visit to Alaska, we are depending on our travel agent to make the various selections of the companies that provide the excursions we want to pursue.(primarily, because she has visited Alaska numerous times, and seems to know which of these firms are preferable)

We booked with Orca Enterprises which is the same company that we used last time we went to Alaska. There are about 16 passengers on their boats and they did a great job last time. We are booked to go in the morning so that my husband can do a helicopter in the afternoon. I think that I will be staying with my feet planted firmly on the ground although they say that it is an amazing experience.

We will be sure to mention Orca to the TA, if that isn't her choice. I have quite a lot of helicopter experience, and can honestly say that if you can overcome your reluctance to the adventure, it would probably be a worthwhile excursion. The views are spectacular, and to us, cannot be compared to any other sightseeing memory. We will definitely be doing several flights by helicopter throughout the cruise, as well as a float plane to the Misty Fjords. If you decide to join your husband, be sure to take your camera.

A couple of years ago, I was conned into doing a helicopter to the Grand Canyon and it was an awesome experience. My husband says that the helicopter in Alaska was a fabulous experience and everyone who has done it raves about it. Maybe I'll change my mind??

Orca Enterprises does have a web site--if you are interested???

I was impressed with them and our tour a few years ago. We are booked for a 10:30am tour so that my husband can do the helicopter in the afternoon.

We will probably do the White Pass train in Skagway. It is beautiful.

This is my 5th cruise to Alaska so I have already seen a lot. But this is our friend's 1st cruise to Alaska so we will do tours with them. I am not sure what we will do in Sitka yet??

• 2 months later...

We are not joining you but following you a month later...departing from Vancouver on Sept. 3. Have booked helicopter glacier tour and also Misty Fjords floatplane independently. Also booked car in Skagway instead of train. Let me know how you all like everything and what hints you have for us!

Melissa in Maryland

Archived