Gem disembarkation in NYC

SnowshoeCat

Hi everyone! Since booking my cruise last month I've been all over this board and getting lots of useful information. Thank you!

I'm surprised I haven't already found the answer to my question. Really, I searched, (and found similar questions, just not the same) so please forgive me if I overlooked the answer. The Gem is scheduled to dock in NY at 9 am. I don't have to catch a plane, so what time can I reasonably expect to get off the ship? I do want to buy a train ticket and I have to pick a train. Soon ;)

Thank you again. More questions to follow, I'm sure.

We regularly take Amtrak from Albany for cruises. We purchase a ticket for about 3 hours after we dock. Sometimes we are able to change to an earlier train if all goes well and there is an earlier one going. We do not carry off all our luggage.

We have generally had few problems when disembarking in NYC although last year (2009) there were a few glitches because of light icing on the pier.

Also, customs and immigration do stop disembarkation when they decide there are too many people in the hall.

I'm new here... Have cruised before and never with Norwegian. I live in NY and would love to leave out of NY to the Eastern Caribbean during January '11.

I'd like to fly - but my husband feels it's better leaving out of NY to avoid any holiday flying issues.

I'm concerned about the weather leaving out of NY. January can be tricky --- 2 days in frigid weather out of NY? Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks! :) happy traveling!

Georgette

I'm new here... Have cruised before and never with Norwegian. I live in NY and would love to leave out of NY to the Eastern Caribbean during January '11.

I'd like to fly - but my husband feels it's better leaving out of NY to avoid any holiday flying issues.

I'm concerned about the weather leaving out of NY. January can be tricky --- 2 days in frigid weather out of NY? Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks! :) happy traveling!

Georgette

Just got off the Gem on Wednesday. First time on NCL.

First day was rough waters because of the storm going up the coast-Wore pants that day-people a little seasick.

Second day by noon weather warmed up-waters much better-wore shorts.

We were told-depends on the weather on those two days out. It could be worse or it could be better.

Coming back we had calm water all the way back. First sea day back-shorts. Second sea day back-pants.

Linda

We regularly take Amtrak from Albany for cruises. We purchase a ticket for about 3 hours after we dock. Sometimes we are able to change to an earlier train if all goes well and there is an earlier one going. We do not carry off all our luggage.

We have generally had few problems when disembarking in NYC although last year (2009) there were a few glitches because of light icing on the pier.

Also, customs and immigration do stop disembarkation when they decide there are too many people in the hall.

Yup, taking the train to Albany. There's an 11:45 and a 1:15. Of course the later one is safer, but the earlier one is a little cheaper, plus I still have to drive for a couple of hours after the train ride.

I can carry my own luggage. I pack pretty light.

Just got off the Gem on Wednesday. First time on NCL.

First day was rough waters because of the storm going up the coast-Wore pants that day-people a little seasick.

Second day by noon weather warmed up-waters much better-wore shorts.

We were told-depends on the weather on those two days out. It could be worse or it could be better.

Coming back we had calm water all the way back. First sea day back-shorts. Second sea day back-pants.

Linda

Thanks Linda!!! Puts my mind at ease a little bit weather wise.

Did you enjoy yourself on the Gem?

Gosh I'm looking at snow here today and would hate snow on a cruise ship :) hehe

If you don't mind, there will be 3 of us in a room - what type of category did you have? I was thinking of a regular inside or a obstructed port hole outside.

They are having a special thru today I believe, so i'm thinking of booking something later tonight.

Figured with 2 days at sea - might want to have some light come in in case it's cold and we want to stay warm :)

Hope you had a great time!!

Archived