Wrong decision about Golden cabin?

vwlady

I'm booked on an Alaska cruise in August, in a quad room with balcony on Aloha deck. I'm beginning to worry that the cabin won't be suitable for us, and hope someone can answer the following questions.

Do the 3rd and 4th bed fold down from the wall directly above the main bed?

Can the main bed be configured as twins rather than a double?

Is there any way a rollaway bed can be used in these cabins?

And as an aside, are the balconies on Aloha deck covered or open?

Thanks in advance.

I'm booked on an Alaska cruise in August, in a quad room with balcony on Aloha deck. I'm beginning to worry that the cabin won't be suitable for us, and hope someone can answer the following questions.

Do the 3rd and 4th bed fold down from the wall directly above the main bed?

Can the main bed be configured as twins rather than a double?

Is there any way a rollaway bed can be used in these cabins?

And as an aside, are the balconies on Aloha deck covered or open?

Thanks in advance.

I do not want to sound rude, but why don't you just call Princess, they can tell you immediately.

Hugh

The 3rd & 4th beds will fold down from either the wall or, more likely, the ceiling. Yes, they're sort of on top of the bed on the floor. You can have the beds configured into a twin; in fact, that's the default if you have the extra bunks in use as otherwise there's no room for the person to climb in and out.

There is very limited floor space; a rollaway might fit between the bed and the balcony doors but you'd have no spare room to walk around.

The balconies on Aloha and Baja are completely covered; the balconies on Caribe are half-covered, half-open.

Hope this helps.

Before we start advising people to call Princess for every question, bear in mind that the Princess CSRs, bless their little hearts, don't always know the answer or don't always know the correct or complete answer. The OP is definitely better off here. I'd always ask a question here first; people who don't care to read or respond to others' questions are free to ignore those posts.

VWlady, why do you think the cabin might not be suitable?

On the Crown (oceanview) , Coral and Island (balconies) the bunks folded out from the wall. I have seen pics of them coming down from the ceiling but never experienced a cabin like that.

I would not recommend a rollaway in normal cabin, there would be no room to move.

Thanks for replies.

My main concern was that the lower bed did not separate into twins. My elder child has cerebral palsy and this might have caused some problems as he also wouldn't have wanted to share a double bed with his little sister (they're at that 'we hate each other' stage).

Dear husband and I will wave at each other from the upper bunks!

BTW, I'm not totally unable to use the phone - but it was 9pm my time and the Princess office here shuts at 5pm, and I'd been wondering all evening....I didn't have a problem ringing them when they messed with my flights! Hope you're not on my cruise, the small talk over pre-dinner drinks would be lacking.

I hope your family has a wonderful cruise. Re upper bunks......back in 84 on our first

cruise, we had an inside upper and lower. I have a wonderful picture of my husband

cosy in his upper bunk. They're just as comfortable as the lowers. Just make sure you're

awake before you get up in the middle of the night.

Mimi

We cruised several times with Quad cabins and it worked just fine. I think the kids really got a kick out of the bunk beds and throwing their stuffed animals down on Mom and Dad:p. Unfortunately, they are all grown up so now we have to get multiple cabins:rolleyes:

This website is exactly how you used it, to ask questions that fellow cruisers have experienced or know.

Have a great cruise, your kids will remember it for life.

Thanks for replies.

... BTW, I'm not totally unable to use the phone - but it was 9pm my time and the Princess office here shuts at 5pm, and I'd been wondering all evening....I didn't have a problem ringing them when they messed with my flights! Hope you're not on my cruise, the small talk over pre-dinner drinks would be lacking.

I take it you are from this side of the pond based on what you wrote about the timing? :)

Just one more point re the balcony, as it would seem to me that this may be your first cruise? Although Aloha balconies are fully covered, you will still get some sunshine on them for a large chunk of the day (depending on your itinerary and time of year). I went on my first cruise on board the Ruby last summer and was on Aloha and loved the location and balcony :D

Happy cruising, and happy posting on CC also ;)

In a quad on the Golden, the bottom beds can absolutely be configured as two twins. My DH and I generally leave them as twins instead of having them pushed together as it allows more room. Also, on the Golden, the upper bunks drop from the wall. If your beds happen to be pushed together, just let your steward know that you prefer to have them separated. We love the Golden, it's a wonderful ship. Have a great time in Alaska!

I take it you are from this side of the pond based on what you wrote about the timing? :)

Just one more point re the balcony, as it would seem to me that this may be your first cruise? Although Aloha balconies are fully covered, you will still get some sunshine on them for a large chunk of the day (depending on your itinerary and time of year). I went on my first cruise on board the Ruby last summer and was on Aloha and loved the location and balcony :D

Happy cruising, and happy posting on CC also ;)

A small point here, but Aloha on Ruby is different from Aloha on Golden. On the Golden, Aloha is the uppermost full-length cabin deck. On Ruby, Aloha is the 2nd highest full-length cabin deck (Riviera is the uppermost).

Lido on both ships is the highest deck with cabins, but only forward of the Neptune pool area.

The amount of sun reaching Aloha deck balconies is different on the two ships because the overhang above the balconies are different. On the Golden, the covering over most Aloha balconies is the base of Lido deck which extends out well beyond the Aloha balcony railing. On the Ruby, the covering over all Aloha balconies are the balconies of Riviera deck cabins which are the same width as the Aloha balconies.

Thank you all. I am much reassured.

Yes we're on this side of the pond so we should feel quite at home with the Alaskan summer weather.

Yes this is our first cruise. My son's mobility is likely to worsen over the next few years so although I would've liked to wait until we won the lottery and could afford a suite (each), some things can't be delayed!

Once again, thank you.

Archived