Boudicca - Food on Embarkation

Iceland

We plan to arrive around lunchtime for our cruise departing from Liverpool, can we expect food to be provided for lunch or would it be adviseable to take a packed lunch with us? We are travelling by private taxi so won't be able to stop en route for a meal.

Another question, can we buy bottles of drinks on board to consume in our cabin?

Thank you.

Rita

Hi

One of the things we like about Fred is that you can order reasonably priced bottles of drink through cabin service which are then delivered to your room. Last year we paid £11.50 for a litre of Barcadi, Three Barrels brandy was £12.50, it may well have gone up a bit since.

Chris

If you have booked a suite (above junior suite grade) you should be invited to lunch on board on day of sailing. If not, you should take something with you. Cabin service is not available on day of embarkation but is available thereafter. In fact cabin service is very good. Also drinks are very reasonable price. If you have a suite you will have a fridge in your cabin with drinks etc which will be available from time you embark.

Enjoy.

As boarding on FOCL ships in the UK is mid-afternoon they lay on afternoon tea which is pretty good. There isn't 24-hour dining but on the many cruises I have taken on all their ships the meals have been excellent. If we sail from Southampton we normally stop off for lunch on the way. Luckily for us Dover is less than 30 minutes away so it is not an issue.

There are not really any facilities at Liverpool, at least there were not last time we were there. You embark in the actual docks (unless they get the cruise terminal sorted out by the time you go which looks unlikely at the moment for turnarounds). Because you are taken into the docks there is nowhere you can go for something to eat. I suppose you could take something with you and just eat it while you are waiting as there is a lounge of sorts as I remember - well a large shed anyway.

I would just take some fruit and a drink and eat as and when you can. You will eat so much while you are away missing one meal won't do you any harm!!

When you book in at Liverpool there is a waiting area and a small cafe bar ,you can eat your lunch there if you want .Its just like a very large waiting room at an old fashioned railway station ,if you get my drift.

If you arrive early there will be somewhere for you to sit and consume your packed lunch.:D

When I boarded for my first cruise with Fred Olsen I was surprised to see how many people had bought packed lunches. The departure lounge was like a big picnic site. I had never seen anything similar with Cunard.

I think it makes sense as you can never be sure when you will board. There can be dealys for the late arrival of the ship, Noro cleaning, broken down computers or any host of reasons. If you have your own packed lunch you will be fine whatever the situation at the port.

Personally I have never been so organised so rely on whatever I can get at the port or the onboard afternoon tea to keep me going. Then again I have nrever been a regular eater.

Best wishes, Stephen.

Archived