Worried about flight NYC Snow

2boyzmom

No, you won't get bumped off your flight -- confirmed pax have priority over displaced pax in the case of irregular operations. However that said, I would be on the phone with your airline now if you are worried about not being able to get out. United has already issued waivers (source: http://www.united.com/page/article/0,6867,52939,00.html) for a series of midwest and northeast (incl NYC) airports and I suspect most other major airlines will be following suit, if they have not already done so. What this means is that they will allow pax on eligible itineraries to proactively re-book (eg get out ahead of the snow) without incurring penalty or having to pay an increase in fare.

As for Thursday, don't assume that because the snow has ended that morning, that by 14h30 things will be easy-peasy. The equipment required to operate your flight may not have made it into the airport; de-icing delays; runways closed for snow removal; etc.

My best advice: call your airline NOW and proactively take matters into your own hands (even if that means flying out in advance and taking a night at your expense at your embarkation port), versus rolling the dice later. A cruise is a terrible thing to waste. :-)

Bonne chance,

Scott.

Thanks Scott- I can't leave today. I am hoping for the best

You don't name your airline, but they all have issued travel waivers, and I am guessing there will be many cancelled flights. If you are traveling through NY, US & UA have waivers issued through 11 Feb. JetBlue has waivers issued for travel through 10 Feb. DL and AA have waivers issued through 14 Feb.

As pointed out, all these weather problems will have a domino effect on all flights. It's going to be a mess.

Good luck.

We are booked for Thursday at 2:30PM. Snow suppose to end early Thursday morning (around 6AM). What happends to the flights for Thursday? Do I get bumped off my flight so people from the day before can fly? HELP

Hopefully the snow will be another false alarm like previous snow forecasts this winter but in the event that it's not I wouldn't count on Thursday morning being totally clear.

We are scheduled to fly out of SYR tomorrow. All flights, except the ONE direct flight, have been canceled. I've been on hold with JetBlue for 57 minutes...waiting (not so patiently) for someone to answer!

PS. If anyone has an alternate JetBlue number I can call, I'm all ears.

We are scheduled to fly out of SYR tomorrow. All flights, except the ONE direct flight, have been canceled. I've been on hold with JetBlue for 57 minutes...waiting (not so patiently) for someone to answer!

PS. If anyone has an alternate JetBlue number I can call, I'm all ears.

Sorry, I have no other number. The problem with JetBlue is the same as with Southwest; they have no interline agreement with any other airline. If your flight is cancelled, you can accept a refund and try to buy a walk-up fare on another airline, or wait until space is available on a JetBlue flight, as they won't pay to put you on another carrier.

I wish you the best of luck and hope you purchased trip insurance.

Archived