petra excursion red sea cruise

we are considering the Petra excursion, I would love to see it, but my wife is concerned about the walking, looking at the posts, people are talking about walking anything from 2 kilometers to 6 kilometers, thats a big difference! and uphill! especially on a long day, and if it is hot. Can anyone tell us more about the day?

thanks

we are considering the Petra excursion, I would love to see it, but my wife is concerned about the walking, looking at the posts, people are talking about walking anything from 2 kilometers to 6 kilometers, thats a big difference! and uphill! especially on a long day, and if it is hot. Can anyone tell us more about the day?

thanks

Yes, there is a lot of walking involved. Even to get to the Treasury is approx. 2Km - this is the minimum distance you would need to go - and then 2Km back. This is downhill on the way there so obviously uphill on the return. It's not a really steep incline - and whilst in the chasm sheltered from the sun but the last section of the return leg is very open and therefore hot if the sun is out. I would recommend you went a bit further than the Treasury though to get a feel of the city - but not necessarily too far beyond that point. The guide will take you considerably further - about another 2Km but you needn't go that far if you don't wish.

The guide will tell you the rendevous time at the hotel at the entrance to the site where your lunch is provided so you can estimate when you want to start back to arrive at the hotel. We went all the way down with the guide - about another 2Km (you could even go a bit further than that but it seemed to be a case of diminishing returns to keep going as by then you've seen the most impressive bits - I think!). At that point our guide told us it would take us about an hour and a half to walk back at a fairly leisurely pace - and stopping a bit to look around but in fact we didn't push ourselves and it took us about an hour.

As you've probably already read, there are horses, donkeys and carriages to go up and/or down but you have to negotiate prices and in the Thomson Destinations guide they don't recommend them for H&S reasons. But quite a few people did use the carriages if they felt unable to face the walk - one lady told me that they are a bit of a bone-shaker though. Still, perhaps it's an option you'd consider.

It's a fabulous place to see though - a real high-light. Enjoy your cruise. :)

P.S. If you can manage to climb into the 4X4 jeeps - the Wadi Rum trip is fantastic - with very little walking involved - you just have to be capable of climbing in and out of the jeeps!

.........P.S. If you can manage to climb into the 4X4 jeeps - the Wadi Rum trip is fantastic - with very little walking involved - you just have to be capable of climbing in and out of the jeeps!

to climb in you need to be able to haul yourself or be assisted up a approx 2 feet step onto the back of the jeep where there is room for 6 people. On my trip to Wadi Rum there was a game old lady who had crutches and they let her ride with the driver. Apparently they did not talk much as her arabic was poor and he was deaf!.

We did this trip in November. We walked down to just beyond the Treasury and I think that, for us, was more than enough. To get back up to the hotel for lunch, we calculated on double the length of time it took to go down, and that proved to be about right at the pace we walked back up. We had about 20 short stops on the way up, and arrived just about the same time as those who walked the entire trip. A great experience though, but very glad we allowed that amount to get back. Wouldn't touch the horse & carts though, very ramshackle. Enjoy the cruise, we loved it.

We did this trip in November. We walked down to just beyond the Treasury and I think that, for us, was more than enough. To get back up to the hotel for lunch, we calculated on double the length of time it took to go down, and that proved to be about right at the pace we walked back up. We had about 20 short stops on the way up, and arrived just about the same time as those who walked the entire trip. A great experience though, but very glad we allowed that amount to get back. Wouldn't touch the horse & carts though, very ramshackle. Enjoy the cruise, we loved it.

So you think that if I just walk to the treasury that I would have seen enough as I think that ,that would do for me as I would need to take my time getting back by the sounds of it ,,,,,

mrs.c

We went a few hundred yards past the treasury where the landscape opened out, we were then able to see down into the old city, the rest of our party then walked on and we turned back. We were also then able to take a comfortable walk back with no rushing. Hope this helps,

We went a few hundred yards past the treasury where the landscape opened out, we were then able to see down into the old city, the rest of our party then walked on and we turned back. We were also then able to take a comfortable walk back with no rushing. Hope this helps,

Thanks for that ,will see how I am feeling by then and will know if I have to tuurn back or not :D

mrs.c

Sister and I are mature ladies (61 and 58) and neither of us is steady on our feet.

However, we were determined to visit Petra....we had been warned about the H&S aspects....

The carriage ride was the only realistic way we could get there.....

The bench seat was roomy...until the driver squuezed in at the side of us. There are hand rails to hang onto...use them.

More like Ben Hur style chariot racing...over the bumps and cornering Silverstone-style.

Got to the Treasury...and as wonderful as it should be. Couldnt walk much further. Plenty of places to sit down...many nationalities.

Driver appeared to collect us at the appointed time.

Photos show the last bit of the Sid....and looking back from the steps of the Treasury....Would I recommend....oh YES!!!

Petra2.jpg.f1a0446a9334c3de9b55cb2587960f93.jpg

So you think that if I just walk to the treasury that I would have seen enough as I think that ,that would do for me as I would need to take my time getting back by the sounds of it ,,,,,

mrs.c

Hi mrs.c how's mr.c. don't worry........... will get you both a drink back on ship to revive you :D what deck are you on by the way, we are on deck 6

Hi mrs.c how's mr.c. don't worry........... will get you both a drink back on ship to revive you :D what deck are you on by the way, we are on deck 6

Hi, barnowl we are on deck 3/4 outside , I am so looking forward to it and as for petra ,well if you see a wee woman an need of oxygen and a hubby telling her to get a move on then that will be me :D :D lol,,,,, hope you are all excited like me about going :cool:

mrs.c

Hi mrs c. it's busy busy busy at the moment with work, daughters wedding plans, shopping packing etc all at the same time will break up from work Wednesday then take dog to kennels, wake up at 3 a.m Thursday (will be setting 3 alarms if i bother to go to bed at all)..... must say i'll be glad of some decent weather and to get out of these thick wooly winter things for a few days, and as we sail into Aqaba Fri. morn. will turn 60 :eek: don't know whether to laugh or cry....just have to keep fit i suppose. Have booked cabin 207 tucked into the corner, hope it won't go up and down like a see-saw but i've heard the Red Sea is like a duck pond so should be o.k I have my tablets anyway.

What a wonderful way to spend your birthday :) in all that sunshine :cool: I know what you mean about getting some sleep before going to airport we have booked the car in for 4.30 am so will not be able to sleep much before hand but hey who cares :D roll on thursday

mrs.c

Hi

I've recently returned from the Red sea cruise and the Petra trip is one of the the best excursions.

Yes as everyone has said the walk can be tough on some. I did not think it too bad, the ground got rougher further down. (3kl)

But what a lot of people have failed to mention is that a few hundred yards...15 minutes max; passed the treasurey is a few market stalls toilets,and a liitle cafe for a drink and a rest!!.

If you look up into the hills behind at this point you will see some of the Royal thombs

I went all the way to the bottom and up to the church that had a mosaic flooring.

Also further down there use to be .....so our guide told us.......a hotel ( This now used by the archaeolotical people) where Agatha christie wrote novel's when she was married to her second husband Max Mallowan who was an archaeologist

Anyway enjoy your trip and dont worry!!

Have a great trip mrs c and barnowl - I'll be waiting to hear all about it when you get back! Good luck with Petra - I'm betting you'll get much further than you think - and there's always the medicinal tipple at the end to revive you! Enjoy and bon voyage! :D

Archived