What gratuities am I pre paying for....

mekia2001

I just found out that our gratuities were included in the price of our cruise(we used a TA this time). What does that cover and who will I still have to tip while onboard?

This is only my second cruise and the first one was 6 years ago and i was so excited then that I don't know who I paid or how much...thanks

You are tipping your cabin staff (steward and assistants.) and dining staff (diningroom, Lido, eateries etc) When you order a drink they add automatic 15%. You are not required to tip anyone else but many do - especially if you order room service (couple of dollars depending how much you order) - steward does extra for you, Maitre d if he help you out with dining changes etc. It is totally up to you. I always take a number of $1 to tip on the spot especially when on shore for taxis, tours, etc

I just found out that our gratuities were included in the price of our cruise(we used a TA this time). What does that cover and who will I still have to tip while onboard?

This is only my second cruise and the first one was 6 years ago and i was so excited then that I don't know who I paid or how much...thanks

The tips you have paid will cover your room stewards, dining room wait staff and buffet wait staff, I can't remember the exact distribution. It works out to $10 per guest, per day. Some tips you will still pay onboard will be to bar staff when you buy drinks (15% per purchase). You may also want to tip the wait staff in the Supper Club if you eat there, but its not expected since you pay a $30 cover charge.

From the carnival website:

Service Gratuities

For your convenience, we automatically charge the gratuities for dining and stateroom staff to your onboard Sail & Sign account. The total amount is $10.00 per guest, per day (our recommended guideline) as follows:

$ 3.50 Per Day Stateroom Services

$ 5.50 Per Day Dining Room Services

$ 1.00 Per Day Alternative Services: distributed to other kitchen and hotel service staff

For Cruises-To-Nowhere, gratuities of $10 per guest, per day must be prepaid.

Our Staff is totally committed to exceed your expectations in every way possible. If you are not satisfied with the service you receive, we encourage you to contact the Guest Services desk while onboard. This will allow us to address your concerns in a timely and appropriate fashion. At your discretion, you may adjust the gratuities at any time.

For beverage purchases, fifteen percent of the bill is automatically added to the Sail & Sign charge. Room Service staff may be tipped as service is rendered. Tipping your Maître d’ is at your discretion, based upon the service you receive.

Thanks! So if we want to tip more we just give it directly to the person(like the room steward)? Or do they still do the envelopes on the last night?

I wish I could remember what we did last time. I know we had an excellent room steward, I hope we tipped him extra. The last time we went my in laws put everything on their credit card and we just paid them, so I never really looked at the itemized bill(i trust them).

Thanks! So if we want to tip more we just give it directly to the person(like the room steward)? Or do they still do the envelopes on the last night?

I wish I could remember what we did last time. I know we had an excellent room steward, I hope we tipped him extra. The last time we went my in laws put everything on their credit card and we just paid them, so I never really looked at the itemized bill(i trust them).

Yes... you can just give it to them directly. The only envelope is one for the Matre D on the last night, if you so desire.

One thing to clarify... Pre-paying tips and Auto tips is slightly different, meaning the $10 per day gratuties are considered auto-tips and will be charged to your S&S account. They don't have to be pre-paid. But you CAN pre-pay the auto tips if you want. It's a personal choice as far as how you choose to tip.

Yes... you can just give it to them directly. The only envelope is one for the Matre D on the last night, if you so desire.

One thing to clarify... Pre-paying tips and Auto tips is slightly different, meaning the $10 per day gratuties are considered auto-tips and will be charged to your S&S account. They don't have to be pre-paid. But you CAN pre-pay the auto tips if you want. It's a personal choice as far as how you choose to tip.

My TA said our tips were included in the fare, so there shouldn't be any tip charges on our s&s account correct? I just want to be as informed as possible before I go so that we won't have to worry about anything while cruising!

My TA said our tips were included in the fare, so there shouldn't be any tip charges on our s&s account correct? I just want to be as informed as possible before I go so that we won't have to worry about anything while cruising!

Yep... sounds like you are pre-paid then. Take no worries with you on that cruise!! Have fun...

You might want to double check that with you TA. I don't believe that is normal practice. Usually the tips are charged to the S&S card during the cruise. Maybe the TA is paying the tips for you out of their commision. That is used sometimes as a promo.

More clarification: Just to make sure, the Gratuities are NOT included in the Cruisefare as you see it for instance on carnival.com.

When you book in advance you can chose to pre-pay your gratuities and it will be added to the amount you're paying (above Carnival's Cruisefare). These pre-paid gratuities should be indicated as a charge followed by a credit on your S&S the first day or so.

Or the TA may be pre-paying your Gratuities as a perk/incentive. These pre-paid gratuities should be indicated as a charge followed by a credit on your S&S the first day or so.

ken

Archived