Question about S.Caribbean islands

clmom

We will be on the 2/26 Dawn to the Southern Caribbean. The ports are Samana (Dominican Republic), Tortola (British Virgin Islands), St. John's (Antigua), Bridgetown (Barbados) and Basseterre (St, Kitts). We have never been to any of these islands. We want to do some excursions (private) that will highlight the best that each one has to offer. We would like to do a little "mix"...some beach time on one, some island sightseeing on another, maybe a boat trip on yet another, etc. Can anyone make some suggestions for us? For example, is one island great for a little land sightseeing because the beaches are not spectacular but the island scenery is beautiful?

Thanks for any help! We booked this cruise late and are now scurrying!

We just finished this trip. At Samana we did an NCL beach excursion to Cayo Levantado; it was the most beautiful beach we'd ever been to. The water & sand was amazing. There were many food & drink stands and NCL has an area reserved for their passengers with lawn chairs. You could opt for sun or shade.. there was lots of both. The margaritas were yummy!

At Tortolla, we did another beach excursion to Jost Von Dyke. I'd read so much about the Soggy Dollar Bar that I just had to see it. We again booked thru NCL. We had to swim to shore & altho several people on CC said it was a short distance; in our case it turned out to be a bit more than we expected. I'm not sure if that was because what was supposed to be a catamaran turned out to be a cruiser & they couldn't get us in as close? They also have waist belts that you can borrow to help get to shore. The beach was wonderful, but I thought the Samana one was better (just my opinion, we met people who liked this one better). AND, then we had to swim back to the boat. The Pain Killers at the SD were amazing; and the food was quite good. So, remember to bring cash..you'll definitely want to bring back a t-shirt.

In Antigua, we booked a private excursion through Gordon of Antigua (if you just google it'll give you the correct addy, if not I can easily get it). He was terrific! His van holds 10 people (we were 8), and he showed us all the highlights; and then let us decide if there was anything special that we wanted to see or do (as in beach, shopping, etc.). We signed up as a couple, and just joined in with other people who had also booked.

We rented a jeep in Barbados. Driving on the left was actually quite easy (especially since I wasn't the one driving!). Actually, hubby didn't have any problems. I was nervous, but was so glad that we'd done it...we saw all we wanted to see on our time. Only thing I would suggest about doing it this way would be to map out the areas that you want to see; and study up on the history of the Island a bit. If you intend on doing it this way, make sure you reserve in advance. There were lots of people looking to rent & no vehicles available.

We again rented a vehicle in St. Kitts and toured the Island. There is a measure of poverty in some parts of this Island, but everyone was friendly and helpful. One side has black sand & the other has white sand! Lots to see and do. We had lunch at Frigate Bay & the food was great. There is also a really nice beach here that you could spend the day at (or just go for a swim).

Have a great trip & if you have any questions just ask away.

Cheers,

Sandy.

We did ALMOST this same itinerary on the Jewel (St. Lucia instead of St. Kitts). In Samana we joined some other roll call members on a private excursion with Casa Dorado for an incredible jeep and boat trip to Playa Rincon Beach. Conde Nast lists this as one of the top ten beaches IN THE WORLD!

In Antigua I set up a private excursion for roll call members. It was a very good price and we got to see all the highlights of the island. I believe we used Lawrence (the guide with the plaid vest) and he was such a gentleman and very informed. Plus he gave us snacks and drinks along the way! After our tour I even had time to do some shopping near the pier.

On our Tortola stop we walked to the docks to catch a ferry to Virgin Gorda to explore the unique and fascinating Baths (rock formations along the beach). Great beach there too.

Barbados we first walked around the town (Bridgetown) and then caught a taxi with another couple to see the highlight's of the island. Got to drive into the gorgeous resort entrance where Tiger Woods was married. Also went to the highest point of Barbados where we could see the opposite shore and lots of other tourist spots. In the afternoon we took a tour of the local rum factory (Mount Gay rum). We walked there and back from the ship. There is a charge for the tour but we got to try rums at the end, so enjoyed that immensely. They also give out some free rum samples in the tourist mall area of the pier. :)

Archived