First time cruiser - Is Celebrity Century right for me?

Larry the Legend

I am considering a cruise on the Celebrity Century for their Sept 19 12 day Western Med cruise. Has anyone taken that cruise? Forgive my ignorance but I am a first time cruiser.

Questions: Are the Concierge cabins worth paying for? I'm looking at deck 9? Where should my cabin be (or not be) on this deck? As a concierge benefit, Is early emabarcation and debarcation worth it?

I've seen a lot of mixed reviews on the dining. What's the scoop?

For the port excursions, I am particularly interested in seeing the Amalfi Coast, the Vatican, and a restaurant meal in Florence. Any comments on the best tours or ones to avoid?

Thanks so much for your help.

Since no one has yet replied, I'll take a stab at it. I've only been on one Celebrity, but 9 cruises on other lines previous to that.

We had a Concierge Class cabin, but got it at the inside rate (maybe the ship wasn't full?). The extras were nice but we could have lived without them. The balcony was the nicest part... We had no issues getting on or off in a timely manner.

Dining...well, we had issues. Others on the same cruise did, and others did not...so I guess it's either the ship, the waiter, the chef, or the phase of the moon. More details in the review on my web site.

I have yet to do a Med cruise, but have a few things you can think about. One, unlike the standard east/west Caribbean, there are very few at-sea days...it's very port intensive and those port days are long days (i.e. 7 AM-7 PM). Make sure you're in good shape and have good walking shoes.

You may pass the Amalfi coast in the dark, so pick your ship and itinerary and date with care. Of course, the days around late June are the longest in terms of sunshine. Take a look at the available ship's excursions. Some may indeed be once-in-a-lifetime things, like climbing the Leaning Tower of Pisa (which would overrule any lunch in any restaurant any day). And there are several different Vatican-related tours as well. One that would appeal to many takes you into a chapel near the Sistine Chapel, and the Pope Himself comes in to bless you. Way cool, as would be the Treasures of the Vatican, or the Rome Underground tours.

Don't plan on sleeping much - you can do that when you get home.

Save your money - the cruise may only be $1,500 but you may spend that much in airfare, that much in pre- or post-cruise lodging, and twice that much on shore excursions.

Take lots of pictures - we'd love to see them when you return...

You've picked one that looks great. 3 At Sea Days, an overnight in Venice, and other good ports. Loved them, and hope you can spend a few days in Barcelona before/after the cruise also. Fantastic place.

As to Concierge, we usually take it. It's very handy. For Century, the CC only a minor amt more area in the SR and same balcony most of the time. Deck 9 is good. You have cabins above and below. Mid-ships is the usual favored area for stability. Someone may chime in on 'better' cabins. I don't think there is any real benefit on embarking, very quick and easy for all. For disembark, you'll have an good area to meet in with coffee and pastries that make it smooth, but again not a big deal in my opinon.

Here are the Concierge benefits:

When you stay in a Celebrity Concierge Class Stateroom on Celebrity Century, you will receive these added amenities and more:

•Welcome sparkling wine•Daily fruit selection•Fresh-cut flowers•Daily hors d'oeuvres•Menu of pillows - Conformance, Body, Goose, and Isotonic®•Duvets and pillow-top mattresses•Leather key holder, personalized stationery and tote bag•Double-thick Frette bathrobes•Hansgrohe® showerhead•Early embarkation and debarkation•Dining and seating preference•Preference on shore excursions

As for dining. That is way too subjective - that is why you see so many differing opinions. You'll see it on all the cruise forums, except maybe some highend line (and I bet there are many complaints there also). My personal: I enjoyed every Celebrity cruise, excellent dining options and selections. I do enjoy good restaurants and so on, but don't spend a lot of time critiquing meals. I tend to try things that I usually don't eat at home/out.

As for tours, you've listed things you want to do that are avail. As for Florence dining, I'd recommend Florence On Your Own. It's transportation to/fm Florence and you are on your own in town. May be cheaper on your own to get there and back, but it can be tricky going that far, and the ship doesn't wait for people on their own 'tours'; does within reason for ship tours.

Go over to the Century Roll Call (see the button at top for Roll calls). Find your cruise and join it. They can provide much more info.

have a great cruise!

Denny

Archived