Skagway and White Pass Railway excursion

DebraK

I am wondering about the RT White Pass Train excursion (either independent or with the cruise line) OR the more extensive train + excursion into the Yukon.

I looked on the White Pass RR site and their RT is similarly priced as Princess. Then, Princess has the extended 8 hour trip Yukon Expedition & white pass Scenic Railway for $160/person. White Pass RR does not have an extended trip, per se, but you could do two one-way trips to Whitehorse for a total of $190. Can anyone give me an opinion about the extended excursion and whether to take my chances booking directly with White Pass or going through Princess? Do you know if the trips are similar?

We did the RT White Pass trip. We did not do the extended trip. Whether you book through the cruiseline or walk over to the station it's the same train trip. The station is right at the end of the pier. It's an absolutely incredible ride... when you're heading up the pass, you want to sit on the left hand side of the train.

I was also enquiring for the railway but booking independantly of the cruise line. (not extended trip) and recieved an email for WPYR;

If you plan to arrive Skagway via cruise ship, the following information will be helpful to you:

As you may know, each cruise ship that docks in Skagway charters a train while in port. The chartered train goes on to the dock to meet your ship pier-side, and is scheduled in accordance with the cruise ship's arrival and departure times. Additionally, your shore excursion officer will have seating available for all the departures and tours offered. For these reasons, we highly recommend that you book directly through your cruise line. (Most cruise lines offer pre-booking for shore excursions; please contact them for more information).

Booking independently through our office means you will pass the chartered train to come in to town, collect your tickets and board a separate train. (The distance to town is usually about ½ mile, depending on where your ship is docked). The quality of the Summit Excursion Tour is identical whether you book with us or with your ship. Again, your cruise line will have seating available for all departures even though we may not. The surcharge for booking with your cruise line is about $5 per adult ticket (depending on which cruise line you are traveling with). This extra fee is for the convenience of boarding the train next to your ship, as well as seats reserved in advance for you by your cruise line.

Thank you and we look forward to seeing you in Skagway!

White Pass & Yukon Route

Reservations & Information

PO Box 435

Skagway AK 98840

(800) 343-7373

info@whitepass.net

www.wpyr.com

:)

I am wondering about the RT White Pass Train excursion (either independent or with the cruise line) OR the more extensive train + excursion into the Yukon.

I looked on the White Pass RR site and their RT is similarly priced as Princess. Then, Princess has the extended 8 hour trip Yukon Expedition & white pass Scenic Railway for $160/person. White Pass RR does not have an extended trip, per se, but you could do two one-way trips to Whitehorse for a total of $190. Can anyone give me an opinion about the extended excursion and whether to take my chances booking directly with White Pass or going through Princess? Do you know if the trips are similar?

HI!

We have taken the "basic" RT and the extended tour into the Yukon. I really enjoy the train and the Yukon extension was very scenic. Comparing the relative value, I would opt for the shorter RT.

On our first visit, we took the basic RT and then the Old Street Car Tour (touisty, but fun, and it had a nice stop overlooking the ships at dock). Don't forget to leave time to walk the town - compact and picturesque.

Have a great cruise and enjoy Skagway!

We took the bus to Carcross last year and on the way back dropped of some people at the train station. We stayed on the bus. We enjoyed Carcross. i got one of the fur hats with the pull down flaps to cover the ears. It did kepp my ears warm on the summit It was $35 US in Carcross and about $60 in Skagway. The hat kept my warm and dry in Tracy Arm for over an hour in a hard drizzle.

The deciding factor in choosing the bus over the train was thet the bus stopped for photo ops and went further.

if you choose the combo, sit on the right side of the bus going into Canada. The left side people look straight uphill. For the full bus tour it doesn/t matter much except that you get the full narration going into Canada. It was dark nad overcast, very moody, in the morning and bright sunshine in the afternoon. It was almost like twn different trips.

The has goes back with me in May on the Coral:):):):)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived