Is it True ?

Interrogation Room

No, it's not "addictive". You cannot form a chemical dependence on such an experience. Your friends are employing hyperbole and exaggeration. You can grow to like it very much, yes. But it's not addictive. (Sorry for being a Debbie Downer, but when you're familiar with "real" addiction, you realize how completely overused the term is, and how it's losing it's meaning. There was a time when people had "habits" and "likes" and "preferences". Now we just blow things to the extreme. Not a good trend, in my opinion.)

Much like the other addicts on this board, I have no intention of entering a 12-step program for cruise addiction. Hello, my name is Chief Cruiser, and I'm a cruise addict is as far as it gets. I admit I have a problem. I also admit I am not willing to stop my habit.

I am dealer as well. I've gotten my father, mother, daughters, and even gotten two of my grandchildren, ages 6 and 3 hooked.

I would say I am going to hell for getting so many of my family members hooked, but actually, I'm going to the EASTERN CARIBBEAN instead!!!!!!!

Hooked and will die a cruise addict!!!!!!!!

HAHAHAHA that Would be a complete waste of time for me also...I would not even get thorough the first step before I opened my web browser to Cruise Critic to get my daily fix :eek:

No, it's not "addictive". You cannot form a chemical dependence on such an experience. Your friends are employing hyperbole and exaggeration. You can grow to like it very much, yes. But it's not addictive. (Sorry for being a Debbie Downer, but when you're familiar with "real" addiction, you realize how completely overused the term is, and how it's losing it's meaning. There was a time when people had "habits" and "likes" and "preferences". Now we just blow things to the extreme. Not a good trend, in my opinion.)

Bless your heart.

I am so sorry I waited so long to try out cruising. A friend at work went every year and kept telling me to try it. I booked Alaska because my husband always wanted to go there and we got so hooked.

I'm never happy unless I have a cruise booked so I have something to look forward to.

Some friends of mines on facebook told me that cruising can be "addicted".

Once you go on a cruise, you will want to cruise over and over again.

Is this true? My family and I have never cruises before so this will be our first time.

I think the word you were thinking of is addicting. And yes, it is absolutely addicting... no work, no cleaning, no cooking, just enjoying yourself, enjoying the ocean breeze... It is all wonderful stuff! Enjoy!

Seem people either love it or hate it right off. For us, they must have slipped somthing in the "sodium rich" water on those ships. We have not considered any other major vacation in the past 5 years. The value, the fun, the ability to go to 3 or 4 different ports/countries in a week, and there is also just something about being at sea that is so cool. We love it. Beware, it may hook you too. There is no cure. I try to cope with a cruise 'patch' that dispenses a slow dose of shrimp cocktail, chocolate melting cake, and tequila directly into my blood stream. Can't wait to get my next fix!!!

I would say that it is traveling in general we are addicted to.

My husband and I love our cruises and hitting ports we have never been to as adults. I believe the only two we have had to repeat is Grand Caymen and Ocho Rios. If the itinerary; however, is the same as another we have done we aren't that interested.

We have actually hit the point where its mostly the Southern Caribbean, Panama, and Europe we have never done. We want to spend more than 12 hours (if that) in a European city so its just S. Caribbean and Panama thats left for us.

It's absolutely addictive. We really couldn't cruise during the years my kids were in college...but resumed again in 2005. And now I'm not happy unless I have at LEAST 1, preferably more, waiting in the wings!

As things stand right now...we'll be boarding the beautiful Miracle again next month & I'm planning to book a cruise for late September/early October 2010 because I won't be able to wait until May 2011 for the Gem!

The best way I can explain it is this: On a land-based vacation it takes me 2-3 days to unwind. On a cruise vacation...the moment I step onto a ship I'm "there"!

Some friends of mines on facebook told me that cruising can be "addicted".

Once you go on a cruise, you will want to cruise over and over again.

Is this true? My family and I have never cruises before so this will be our first time.

HA HA ...Facebook addicts should talk!!!!! :D

After I took my first cruise with my Mom, sisters & niece I tried to convince my husband to give it a try - it took ten years and he finally agreed. The second day out he looked at me and said "we need to plan for the next cruise, don't we?". I knew he was hooked like me. That was two years ago and we are about to take our 5th cruise next month.

You will notice the time span between our cruises. My husband has declared that we WILL go on 1 cruise per year starting this year. We will not let ourselves be deprived anymore and will be platinum before we are 50. We never really had "vacations" before our 1st cruise. We can not get enough. We are already talking about next years and researching. Hoping to go out of Charleston. :D

I agree that it is addicting. Even though it's been 2 1/2 yrs since my first cruise (2nd is in 24 days), I've been wanting to take another one since then (logistics, people, $ got in the way). I'm so glad I'm getting ready to get back on, and am in the process of planning one for 2011. I've had other vacations to fun and exciting places, but nothing beats cruising, where you don't have to worry about cooking, cleaning, etc. Just sit back, relax, w/ a drink in your hand.:D

Archived