Possible change of itinerary

ocean42

some folks look for an opportunity to claim "compensation"

if the OP booked the cruise solely for the visit to Monaco then the answer is simple, take a train, bus, plane, dog sled to Monaco its not far

better still visit eze instead

but whatever you decide forget about compensation, you are not entitled and wont be receiving any

hava great cruise

maybe if you are lucky you will find something else to claim compensation for

Why do you assume I want to go to Eze and nopt Monte Carlo? I wonder if I should change my name to something you prefer.

Why would I be lucky if I find something else to claim for?

Just for the record the quote about not looking for £1000's was irony or even sarcasm, in reality I was expecting that Princess would either pay for or contribute to a trip to Monaco from Cannes. I really dont think this would be a lot to ask.

I have to say Princess have a lot of very loyal customers.

Have already paid in full so cancelling isnt an option.

I know the small print will say they can make changes without reading it. But lets face the Grand Prix dates are set for the next 4 years or so so it's not rocket science for Princess to get it right is it.

The ships is MV Grand Princess leaves Southampton 08/05.

Ocean42

In the US we can cancel up to about 75 to 90 days from cruise date. And you are 150 days out. We would get a full refund. Don't kow about the UK.

In the US we can cancel up to about 75 to 90 days from cruise date. And you are 150 days out. We would get a full refund. Don't kow about the UK.

Think its only 68 days until 8th May not 150!!!

When we took our first cruise, we were shocked to find a change in our itinerary, and yes, it was a bit disappointing. Still, I never expected any sort of compensation. 9 cruises down, and we take any itinerary change (announced, unannounced, weather related or changed in advance) completely in stride.

While I understand the disappointment of missing a port, it's a fact of cruising.

Ocean,

My wife and I will be on the same cruise and I am incredibly upset that they decided to change the port from Monaco to Cannes. I purchased tickets to the Monaco Grand Prix specifically because the ship was going to be in port on the day of the race (May 16th).

Princess only informed me this morning that they were switching the port because of the Grand Prix. I don't understand how only now they realized that the race was going on and that passengers might have trouble getting around due to street closures. The date of the race has been set for 5 months! It isnt like they just found out last week there was a race going on!!! People who want to go to this event and get good seats have to purchase tickets early and it is incredibly frustrating that only now are they informing folks that they will no longer be docking in Monte Carlo. I even called them about potential shore excursions in Monte Carlo back in February and they stated they weren't going to have any given the race. They NEVER mentioned anything about potentially not docking there and were well aware of what happens on race day. To only now inform people is the height of incompetence.

Did they ever stop and think that some of the passengers might have bought tickets to the race and actually wanted to dock in Monte Carlo considering they thought they were going to be lucky enough to be in Monte Carlo for one of the most glamorous and exciting sporting events on Earth? Hmmmmmm.

Now that they are docking in Cannes, it will be impossible to watch the entire race and get back to the ship on time. I called customer service and they told me that they "lift the planks" at 5pm even though the ship doesnt leave until 6. The race finishes at 4pm and it will be impossible to get back to the ship in Cannes by 5pm.

Is this customer service rep right or have other people managed to get on board right before 6pm anyway? Is there any chance they can extend the departure time until 7pm? We are schedueled to get into Livorno at 6am. I doubt arriving at 7am instead will kill anybody's day there.

Ocean,

Is this customer service rep right or have other people managed to get on board right before 6pm anyway? Is there any chance they can extend the departure time until 7pm? We are schedueled to get into Livorno at 6am. I doubt arriving at 7am instead will kill anybody's day there.

I'd venture to guess that most people would not want to give up an hour of their time in Livorno (given the long commute into Florence) so that you can have an extra hour in Monte Carlo. :rolleyes:

I'd venture to guess that most people would not want to give up an hour of their time in Livorno (given the long commute into Florence) so that you can have an extra hour in Monte Carlo. :rolleyes:

Clearly it wouldn't just be for me. I am hoping there are other people in a similar situation. I would venture to guess that there might be a fair amount of people on this cruise who also bought tickets to the Grand Prix and will now not be able to attend. As to the boarding time, since this is my first Princess Cruise, is it possible to arrive just before the 6pm departure or do you need to be on board 1 hour before departure?

For non-tendered ports the required all-aboard time is usually 30 minutes prior to sailaway. For tendered ports it may be different (not sure if this is a tendered port or not).

Regardless, the all-aboard time is whatever Princess tells you it is on that particular day. And I don't think they'll change it based on one or a few people having Grand Prix tickets.

Ocean,

My wife and I will be on the same cruise and I am incredibly upset that they decided to change the port from Monaco to Cannes. I purchased tickets to the Monaco Grand Prix specifically because the ship was going to be in port on the day of the race (May 16th).

Princess only informed me this morning that they were switching the port because of the Grand Prix. I don't understand how only now they realized that the race was going on and that passengers might have trouble getting around due to street closures. The date of the race has been set for 5 months! It isnt like they just found out last week there was a race going on!!! People who want to go to this event and get good seats have to purchase tickets early and it is incredibly frustrating that only now are they informing folks that they will no longer be docking in Monte Carlo. I even called them about potential shore excursions in Monte Carlo back in February and they stated they weren't going to have any given the race. They NEVER mentioned anything about potentially not docking there and were well aware of what happens on race day. To only now inform people is the height of incompetence.

Did they ever stop and think that some of the passengers might have bought tickets to the race and actually wanted to dock in Monte Carlo considering they thought they were going to be lucky enough to be in Monte Carlo for one of the most glamorous and exciting sporting events on Earth? Hmmmmmm.

Now that they are docking in Cannes, it will be impossible to watch the entire race and get back to the ship on time. I called customer service and they told me that they "lift the planks" at 5pm even though the ship doesnt leave until 6. The race finishes at 4pm and it will be impossible to get back to the ship in Cannes by 5pm.

Surely we are in port on the 14th May NOT 16th so the tickets are a waste of money anyway:confused:

Surely we are in port on the 14th May NOT 16th so the tickets are a waste of money anyway:confused:

Yes, I was thinking the same (even though it's nothing to do with me :D). Your scheduled visit to Monaco is on the 14th and the race itself is on the 16th - although there may be practice sessions etc on the 14th?

I also think it rather odd in the first place to book a cruise so that you can go and watch anything like this :confused: With the uncertainty over weather etc (particularly in a tender port such as MC), if I really wanted to see a GP, I personally would book a land based holiday and leave the cruising to another time. :confused:

My wife and I are scheduled to be in Cannes (previously Monte Carlo) on May 16th according to our itinerary. We are doing the 12 day Med/Greek Isles tour that leaves Civitavecchia on May 15th. We are a young couple that lives in the US and don't have the funds to fly to the south of France solely for a race. As a result, we considered it extremely good fortune that the ship was going to be in port on race day. I just don't understand why the decision was made so close to the actual trip date when the race had been scheduled for months.

My wife and I are scheduled to be in Cannes (previously Monte Carlo) on May 16th according to our itinerary. We are doing the 12 day Med/Greek Isles tour that leaves Civitavecchia on May 15th. We are a young couple that lives in the US and don't have the funds to fly to the south of France solely for a race. As a result, we considered it extremely good fortune that the ship was going to be in port on race day. I just don't understand why the decision was made so close to the actual trip date when the race had been scheduled for months.

Sorry!!! I thought you were talking about the Grand Princess. In this case I can understand your dismay.

Hope you have a good cruise in spite of this

Coolgran

My apologies too :o I thought you were a UK based cruiser and you were on the Grand. My bad :eek:

Archived