Can a cruise line do this?

luxurysailer

Just received this email from my online US TA - "Here is a list of the lines that allow international bookings:

Azamara

Carnival

Cruise West

Crystal

Disney

Norwegian

Paul Gauguin Cruises

Regent

Seabourn

SeaDream

Silversea

Voyages of Discovery

Windstar"

So there cannot be any legal reason for the other cruise lines' policies why we can't use US TA, it's just their decision. Well I for one will not be buying a cruise from them until this changes (if it ever does). I will be looking at the above list although most of them are out of my price range.

My goodness, I had no idea I would start such a donnybrook when I started this thread.

In reference to smeyer418's statement that the price differential paid by Aussie and UK passengers pays for the additional degrees of protection that they receive from their governments, I can't help but wonder how much protection they need. At over $1000 per passenger more for a stateroom with an obstructed view those people must need some hellacious protection.

I don't know about this problem. I rang Princess last night again reinforcing that I am an Australian citizen who booked via a USA online TA and cannot get suport from Princess Australia.

And it doesnt seem to be a problem. HA anyone ever been turned away at the ship or are we all going on hearsay?

The only issue that I can see is that the ships crew may have to do a bit more paperwork when dealing with port authorities. But then again there maybe others on the cruise who did book the cruise in Australia so that defeats that theory.

Again I will stress it seems to be Princess Australia having a sulk because they are missing out on the revenue on their books.If Princess USA don't seem to care and other cruiselines don't have a problem it isnt hard to work out who is the spanner in the works. Maybe Princess UK is the same thing, these CEO's trying to justify their salaries.

So much for global trading..... maybe the politicians need to get onboard.

Next time I see one I will have to mention it to them. ( frequent guest at breakfast's and lunches where they are in attendance)

Hi there is an other anomaly that exists with Princess in Australia the difference between offers between the Eastern states Sydney/ Melbourne ect and Perth in the west the passengers from the east are offered free airfares/transfares to join cruises departing from Perth an example is the latest one we have booked S015 on the Sun for 30 days travel agents have this offer for eastern state passengers and at the same price the we paid for the cruise this is a saving of $1200 a couple and that is what we have to pay each time we want to cruise out of Sydney with Princess and P&O and that is not an only example our neighbours have just returned from 12 days on the Pacific Sun and the story was the same from people that they spoke to on board had the free air.

So not all is equal in the land of Oz downunder

Davaller

:( :( :(

Several years ago, I read an article about how the big three US automakers got tired of people living close to the border, going into Canada to buy cars because they were priced cheaper in Canada. They rectified the situation by saying that if you bought a car in Canada and registered it in the US, it voided the waranty. Not sure if this is in effect, but companies do have different rules for selling things in different countries, it's just not cruises.
And it's an example of a situation that could be justified, or could be unjustified.

Sometimes, a car sold in a different country has to be built to different standards because of the local rules in effect where the car is to be sold. And some of those differences might not be supported in the neighbouring country. If that is the case, then the manufacturer may have a good reason for saying that you can't buy a car in the first country for use in the second. That could be a good justification.

But if the car is absolutely identical, and the car manufacturer says that you can't buy the car in the first country simply because it wants to protect its bigger profit margins in the second country, that seems to me to be completely unjustified.

But I'm free to buy BP's petrol at a US pump if I choose. All I'd like is a similar opportunity to buy Princess' product at a US travel agent, according to the rules in force on the US playing field - or else to know a good reason why that isn't permissible (despite the fact that a different division of the same company doesn't impose a similar restriction).
Well, you have to figure out how to wrest control over where you book your cruises from the consortia that run the travel industry in the UK. Like I said, if you find a workaround they won't come after you for evading their system, but if a company like Princess **knowingly** facilitates you doing so, they could find themselves in violation of business and finance regulators in the UK.

I'm in a different business, but we have to play by the same rules.

Well, you have to figure out how to wrest control over where you book your cruises from the consortia that run the travel industry in the UK. ... if a company like Princess **knowingly** facilitates you doing so, they could find themselves in violation of business and finance regulators in the UK.
But is that where the problem really lies? Those consortia don't write the regulations, even if there are regulations that a cruise line would fall foul of if it allowed UK residents to book in the US market.

And it would be a funny set of regulations if Princess would fall foul of them for letting me book in the US market, but Carnival wouldn't - even though they're the same company - and Disney and NCL wouldn't; and even though no US airline would fall foul of them (even though they might be selling me US domestic tickets, or intra-Europe tickets) and no US travel agent selling air travel would fall foul of them. There are so many things that cast doubt on whether any such regulations actually exist. That's why I'm puzzled and sceptical.

But is that where the problem really lies? Those consortia don't write the regulations, even if there are regulations that a cruise line would fall foul of if it allowed UK residents to book in the US market.

And it would be a funny set of regulations if Princess would fall foul of them for letting me book in the US market, but Carnival wouldn't - even though they're the same company - and Disney and NCL wouldn't; and even though no US airline would fall foul of them (even though they might be selling me US domestic tickets, or intra-Europe tickets) and no US travel agent selling air travel would fall foul of them. There are so many things that cast doubt on whether any such regulations actually exist. That's why I'm puzzled and sceptical.

Does Carnival have ships homeported in the UK? Princess and Royal Caribbean do, and you'll find the same threads on both pages on this site complaining about the restrictions on UK bookings. Maybe there is a correlation.

Does Carnival have ships homeported in the UK? Princess and Royal Caribbean do, and you'll find the same threads on both pages on this site complaining about the restrictions on UK bookings. Maybe there is a correlation.
I can't remember off the top of my head whether Carnival has done this, although it certainly has had ships based in European ports. If this was a reason, I would expect Carnival to bar bookings from European residents or residents of that particular country - but there isn't one.

NCL has had ships homeported in the UK for several years now, but imposes no similar restriction.

I am no lawyer but I am sure these ...."agreements"....would not stand up in a court of law. Just look at how many airlines are fined for uncompetitive business practices, it is called price fixing.

Yeah, but...

Cruise lines often have regional specials, where people in one

state qualify for a lower rate than those in others. If this were

some how uncompetitive, I'm sure there would have already

been lawsuits over it.

princess us division ( all tas book using this system whether it be through polar online, amadeus etc) will only allow( unless you are "fudging" the info---bad idea as it may later cause documentation issues) us and canadian citizen bookings. International bookings is separate and princess has an agreement to protect its ta partners in foreign countries who book their citizens to give them the business. Also, due to immigration rules and regulations, for the protection of the passenger, it is encouraged to use a ta from your country of citizenship who can make sure that your immigration douments ie visas etc are in order etc. Again, any ta who books international clients using falsified information is breaching the system...it usied to be done frequently, but princess is being much more watchful these days it seems......as you will notice the princess website provides travel agent locator no only for us and canadian citizens but foreign country contact phone #s

Cruise lines often have regional specials, where people in one state qualify for a lower rate than those in others. If this were some how uncompetitive, I'm sure there would have already been lawsuits over it.
This appears to be acceptable in the US. But it is unacceptable and illegal in Europe. Any EU resident must be afforded access to any price offered anywhere in the EU, although you may have to book it in the country in which that price is offered and abide by the rules in that market.

I don't know about this problem. I rang Princess last night again reinforcing that I am an Australian citizen who booked via a USA online TA and cannot get suport from Princess Australia.

And it doesnt seem to be a problem. HA anyone ever been turned away at the ship or are we all going on hearsay?

The only issue that I can see is that the ships crew may have to do a bit more paperwork when dealing with port authorities. But then again there maybe others on the cruise who did book the cruise in Australia so that defeats that theory.

Again I will stress it seems to be Princess Australia having a sulk because they are missing out on the revenue on their books.If Princess USA don't seem to care and other cruiselines don't have a problem it isnt hard to work out who is the spanner in the works. Maybe Princess UK is the same thing, these CEO's trying to justify their salaries.

So much for global trading..... maybe the politicians need to get onboard.

Next time I see one I will have to mention it to them. ( frequent guest at breakfast's and lunches where they are in attendance)

It has been my experience that if you use a TA, the cruise line will expect that you will be taken care of by the TA. After all, the cruise line is paying them a fee for that purpose, and they are therefore reluctant to do the work that the TA is expected to do. ;)

We are a couple of Aussies who have just booked a Princess cruise, compared to US sites we are paying about $A2000.00 more for our cruise.

We realise we cannot do much about the price difference (unless we use a false address) so have paid our money and are looking forward to our cruise:cool:

Trish

I booked 3 cabins on a Princess Cruise for my fam, mom and in laws though online TA. We are green card holder and reside here in US. My mom and my in laws are not.

I booked their cabins using US resident rate. I will be paying for all the cabins.

Our parents will also be staying with us for couple of months.

I definitely do not want any of them get rejected when we are checking in, nor have a big surprise bill at the end.

What should I do? Can I not book using my resident rate if I'm paying for it?

Thanks!!

I booked 3 cabins on a Princess Cruise for my fam, mom and in laws though online TA. We are green card holder and reside here in US. My mom and my in laws are not.

I booked their cabins using US resident rate. I will be paying for all the cabins.

Our parents will also be staying with us for couple of months.

I definitely do not want any of them get rejected when we are checking in, nor have a big surprise bill at the end.

What should I do? Can I not book using my resident rate if I'm paying for it?

Thanks!!

You will be fine. Dont even give being rejected/denied boarding a second thought :)

Enjoy your cruise

The only way I know of for Australians to book through a U.S. TA is if they have a U.S. address to give for the booking. No, they are not supposed to do this, but there are ways around it. I have friends in Sydney who have done this for years. Lately, Princess has been giving them a bit of trouble upon boarding since they hold Australian passports, but they have still been able to board.

Australians book under totally different rules through Princess, and yes, Princess can do this, it isn't against any law. ;)

Are UK agents allowed to send to Australia. :confused:

I don't know about this problem. I rang Princess last night again reinforcing that I am an Australian citizen who booked via a USA online TA and cannot get suport from Princess Australia...

I'm dying to know which online TA you used!

In common with others, our usual online TA in the US recently told me they can no longer sell discounted Princess cruises to us.

Either I pay for a US mailing address through a mail forwarding company (which I am reluctant to do) to provide to our usual US online TA for Princess bookings, or we will have to switch to Carnival or Norwegian.

The only time it is okay for a non-us or Canadian citizen to purchase a cruise through a US ta would be if they are cruising with US or Canadian citizens and using their addresses. This was told to me by a supervisor. This was when a German couple wanted to cruise with their Canadian friends.

The only time it is okay for a non-us or Canadian citizen to purchase a cruise through a US ta would be if they are cruising with US or Canadian citizens and using their addresses. This was told to me by a supervisor. This was when a German couple wanted to cruise with their Canadian friends.

Does the Canadian or US party have to book and pay for the cruise or can the International couple book and pay for it since they are with the Canadians or US??

Well, I am Australian, and I wanted to go on an Alaskan cruise with Princess a couple of years ago. But I ended up going on NCL, as Princess was charging so much more!

I was a little sad still, as the Princess boats look very nice.

princess us division ( all tas book using this system whether it be through polar online, amadeus etc) will only allow( unless you are "fudging" the info---bad idea as it may later cause documentation issues) us and canadian citizen bookings. International bookings is separate and princess has an agreement to protect its ta partners in foreign countries who book their citizens to give them the business.
Not to be pedantic, but it's residency that matters and not citizenship - which of course throws the whole travel visa argument out of the window since a North American agent can have many local resident clients with foreign citizenship and must be aware of their need for travel visas. :)

I'm dying to know which online TA you used!

In common with others, our usual online TA in the US recently told me they can no longer sell discounted Princess cruises to us.

Either I pay for a US mailing address through a mail forwarding company (which I am reluctant to do) to provide to our usual US online TA for Princess bookings, or we will have to switch to Carnival or Norwegian.

That's interesting - I wonder if it's just an Australian enforcement thing. I certainly haven't seen any of this with the UK folks I know who book direct with a US agent.

That's interesting - I wonder if it's just an Australian enforcement thing. I certainly haven't seen any of this with the UK folks I know who book direct with a US agent.

Repeat after me...booking with a US t/a is NOT illegal...it is simply a cruise line attempting to prevent Australians accessing the same favourable rates available to US and Canadian citizens...you will not be denied boarding.

Give Australian T/as the same rates and we will book with them.

Archived