Damaged passport

ducklite

This is a general question, but thought someone here might have dealt with this type of thing before.

Last weekend I managed to put my passport through the washer and dryer in my jeans pocket. Two of the stamps inside are now "washed away" pretty much, one was an entry into Canada, and the other an entry into the US. The other stamps are blurry but readable. The page with my photo and signature are both fine, it's a newer passport where my photo is actually part of the page as opposed to the older style where it's glued on and covered in plastic. The biggest problem is that the cover has come off and is now totally seperate from the rest of the passport.

So, is my passport now void? Do I need to go through the entire process to get a new one, or will they allow me to use more of a "renewal" process?

Any ideas?

Anne

Here is a link to the US Department of State site:

http://travel.state.gov/passport/fri/faq/faq_1741.html

I only looked quickly and didn't see anything in particular regarding damaged passports but, there is a link to contact them on the left hand side. If you can't find it on the site I'm sure they can answer your question by email.

• Administrators

Hi Anne:

You will need to appear in person to replace your damaged passport....you cannot do this via mail. Basically, since your passport is now unacceptable as a means of identification, you will have to start the process over again....,

Here's additional information: http://travel.state.gov/passport/get/first/first_830.html

I process passports for my post office,washing of the passport happens quite often. Unfortunately once the passport is multilated is becomes void.So you need to apply for a new passport. You will need to use your birth certificate or an old passport as proof of citizenship,you can't even use the passport for that.Also you will need to send in your mutilated passport with a note explaining what happened to it.Also new pictures and the $85.00 again

Sorry

Any questions I will try to answer them.

We are going on the NOS in July, with our 2 daughters 18 & 19, both have passports, but they will expire June 12th. Can they still use them as ID?..too much of a hassles with BC ...they were both born in Germany but are American citizens!!

Thanks,

Ollie

This will depend on where you are going and if the picture page is shot.

If going to Europe, Asia, etc get a new passport they want to know where yiou have been. If taking a Caribbean cruise the only part they car about is the ID page, picture and pertenent information.

I would get a new/replacement passoport, never know when something comes up and you need it.

It's not a matter of whether Carnival or RCCI or any other cruise line will accept the passport -- they're in business to make money, and they don't want to offend you. Left to their own devices, they'd allow you onboard with a hand-drawn ID (okay, that's an overstatement, but I'm using hyperbole to make a point).

What matters is whether the United States Customs Office will allow you to re-enter the US after your cruise. The ships are careful to check your IDs before allowing you to board because it would be very bad for business to have you stranded in their terminal!

I'm actually more worried about some of the other international travel plans I've got. I went yesterday, luckily there was no line because of the impending storm. The good part is the old photo was terrible, but the new one is adorable.

Anne

Archived