Thoughts on Insurance

Beach Girl

When I booked my 2/20 Independence of the Seas Cruise with Royal Caribbean I didn't purchase Travel Insurance because we have scheduled our flight out of Philadelphia the day before the cruise At the time I didn't think it was necessary to have insurance I thought a little more about possibilities that could happen and decided to purchase the Insurance I am so glad that I did because of the recent snowstorms here in Reading, PA My daughter and her husband and grandson will be cruising with me also They did not purchase the Insurance and now I am concerned for them no purchasing the Insurance

Do we purchase cruise insurance? Absolutely. Why, because just like Health, Home Owners and Car Insurance, you just never know when you are gonna need it.

I hope everything works out for you and your family. Enjoy your cruise especially after the weather you all have experienced.

Do we purchase cruise insurance? Absolutely. Why, because just like Health, Home Owners and Car Insurance, you just never know when you are gonna need it.

I hope everything works out for you and your family. Enjoy your cruise especially after the weather you all have experienced.

Absolutely always buy insurance, but not necessarily from the cruiseline. It is usually much cheaper at home. But it is a must. Some people say that 10 cruises cover the cost, but I calculate that on an inside cabin. If you like comfort, cover yourself. You don't want anything to happen. And perhaps, if you have it, it doesn't. But it is an investment, just like your trip. Jacqui

I would never travel without it! I work too hard for my money to give it away for nothing!

Couldn't have put it better myself.

Travel insurance is ridiculously cheap -- $59 for DS and I for the week's cruise -- and we drive to port. But there are too many stories about luggage getting knocked into the water while they load it... or emergencies back home and people having to leave their cruise to attend to them... and even just being quarantined because of some bug. Airfare is just one teeny part of the whole trip that insurance covers.

Most millionaires got that way because they spent their money wisely... and protected what they had earned!

The reason why it is imperative for most people to carry travel insurance is in the case of a medical emergency. While it can certainly come in handy for things like lost luggage and missed flights, these are not issues that will cause someone financial ruin if they occur and are not insured. Many people's health insurance does not cover out of the country emergencies, and even fewer cover air evacuation (should someone need to be airlifted off the ship). These situations can easily cost $25,000 or more (sometimes much more) and in some countries where cruises visit, you need to pay up front or no treatment. Unless one has medical insurance that covers out of the country emergencies AND covers medical evacuations, then travel insurance is really a necessity and one should not cruise without it.

We travel quite a bit, so now we purchase annual medical and evacuation insurance. To me those are the really big risks. We rarely purchase cancellation insurance, electing to "self-insure" that risk. The way we calculate it, the premiums we'd have paid over these many trips would have paid for cancellation a trip or two (if it ever happens...knock on wood). We can afford the risk of cancelling a trip, but international medical bills and/or medical evacuation are too much money to risk. YMMV.

Archived