wheelchair info on Summit

Catnip

Anyone here ever have to take a wheelchair on the Summit? My mom has a broken knee and will need a w/c on our 4/1/05 cruise. Can you just get one from the Purser while on board, or do you have to rent one or arrange for one to be delivered to the ship from a medical supply place?

Thanks in advance for any info!!

While I've seen wheelchairs on the M class ships, I would recommend that you rent one for your mom or rent a scooter to help her get around. I been involved with both. We took our mom on a summer cruise to Alaska and rented a scooter and a wheelchair for her. It made it so much easier to get around on a large ship. However, you would probably need a handicapped room for the scooter. A wheelchair would be good for her also. If you rent one, ask for a collapsable one and it will fit in your room easier. You can rent a wheelchair from Scootaround.com or from Ccarevacations.com. In any case, enjoy your cruise.:o

Anyone here ever have to take a wheelchair on the Summit? My mom has a broken knee and will need a w/c on our 4/1/05 cruise. Can you just get one from the Purser while on board, or do you have to rent one or arrange for one to be delivered to the ship from a medical supply place?

Thanks in advance for any info!!

Hi Catnip !

While there are wheelchairs onboard, they are in very short supply. If you absolutely must have one, I would strongly recommend that you rent one.

You can call Celebrity, and they can recommend places that will rent it to you, and deliver the wheelchair to/from the ship.

By the way, I am on the same sailing as you :)

I hope I was of some assistance.

Thanks, Andy & Judy! I sure hope we can still go. She saw her doctor today and he suggestd that she not go. (our final payment is due on Friday, so we have to make a decision before then! :o)

If you "rent" a w/c, how do go about getting the w/c back to the rental place on the day of dis-embarkation? Do they come and pick it up? I will depart the ship early and fly home to NC. She departs the ship later, as she will take the Cruise Connection bus back to north Florida. She will have to have a porter or someone from the ship wheel her off and help get her luggage and take her to where she waits on the bus. I don't know if it will be "do-able"..............

Any thoughts or suggestions?

I was on the Infinity last April with my parents. we knew my Mother would need a wheelchair to get around the ship and at ports. We purchased a neat looking wheelchair that is lightweight (19 pounds) and folds easily. The cost was more reasonable than renting one for the week. It looked very sporty, and the crew made a big deal about how cool the electric blue color was.

We were able to get the aft handicap cabin, which was fantastic. Plenty of room to store the chair on the balcony.

Added bonus with having your own chair, at the airport we wheeled right up to the plane and then Southwest handled it from there.

Celebrity does have limited wheelchairs onboard, but I don't think you are allowed to take them off the ship.

Mari

Sorry to hear about your Mom. Hope you can make the cruise. Will miss you on our walks if you can't!! I too agree. It would be better to buy a foldable light wheelchair and she can use it at home too. Of sell it later on and recoup some of the money outlaid. If you take it easy on the cruise and don't do too much at the ports, she should be fine onboard in the wheelchair. Let us know what you decide.

PoohUnderstands

One last comment, if you decide to rent from a company, they deliver the wheelchair to the cabin and you leave it in the terminal. Porters have always been helpful and take care of it for us. Staff has always been very helpful on the ship so I wouldn't worry, if I was you. If you haven't made your last payment yet, this means that your trip is still about 2 months away. I would hope that your mom would be well enough to be in a wheelchair by then. In any case, please keep us informed.

If at all possible, I would recommend a scooter rather than a wheelchair. If your mother is capable other than her knee problem she would feel so much more independent with the scooter. My 93 year old uncle had one on our Alaska trip in August and it was the best. We rented one of the small scooters that can virtually go anywhere on board, even right to the dinner table. No one has to push them around. The ship does usually have a wheelchair that can be used onboard as well. They are controlled with the hands and speed goes from turtle to rabbit. You can charge them in your cabin at night.

Pooh,

As you can imagine, I am very upset about this. But, my mom will be as upset as I will if we have to cancel. We have been making our spring cruises together since 1982!!! We have to make our final payment tomorrow, so we will have to decide something today. I will keep you informed.

MaBell,

Someone else suggested a electric scooter. I am afraid that my mother will spazz out and drive off the side of the ship!! :eek: :eek: She's never driven one before, and I would hate to have her mow a passenger down barreling though a crowd!!! :D It might take some practice!! Plus, we don't have a handicapped cabin and where would you leave the scooter at night? I will call the TA today & see if there are any h/c cabins available.

Judy,

That would be great if a reantal company would deliver it and come pick it up. I will call Celebrity today and see what company they recommend, or I will look on the 'net and see what I can find. She has a walker, too, that she will take with her.

Thanks for everyone's help!! I sure hope it works out!!

Catnip,

I sure hope you and your mom can still join us on the 4/1/05 sailing! Go for the electric scooter. I used one once or twice after my knee surgery and they are very easy to use. Your mother should have no problem. And it wil make her more independent.

But a scooter will probably require a H/D cabin. Hopefully they can switch you into one.

Archived