Don"t use ezcheck if preferred flier

kiawahdon

If you are not charged checked baggage fees by your airline due to your preferred status, DO NOT use Princess’ EZcheck program for your luggage. If your experience is similar to mine, you will be charged for each and every bag by Princess. When I questioned the charge, the Purser said that the charge is what the airline charged them. But, when I asked for any proof or documentation, he could produce none; saying simply that this is what he received from the home office- a print out showing all passengers and all airlines. He said talk to the airline. So now I am instantly in a ping-pong match that I can’t win. The airline wants proof that they charged me, which I don’t have as Princess will not/can not produce any. And, Princess will not remove the charge as they contend the airline charged them.

Rumor has it that Princess uses an outside contractor to handle the administrative side of the EZ check program. I suspect that they do not communicate directly with the airlines. When my boarding pass comes from the airline, it notes my status. This time there was no notation. Another indication that a third party was involved.

That is interesting. I wondered how that worked. Which airline did you fly? I am Gold Elite with Delta and free baggage is one of the few perks you get. This trip we will have first class tickets and I know they do not have a baggage fee for first class passengers. I figured we were safe with me being Elite and also having the first class tickets. Now I am not so sure.

I thought I read in a previously thread that someone with Elite Status indicated they were not charged a baggage fee.

If you are not charged checked baggage fees by your airline due to your preferred status, DO NOT use Princess’ EZcheck program for your luggage. If your experience is similar to mine, you will be charged for each and every bag by Princess. When I questioned the charge, the Purser said that the charge is what the airline charged them. But, when I asked for any proof or documentation, he could produce none; saying simply that this is what he received from the home office- a print out showing all passengers and all airlines. He said talk to the airline. So now I am instantly in a ping-pong match that I can’t win. The airline wants proof that they charged me, which I don’t have as Princess will not/can not produce any. And, Princess will not remove the charge as they contend the airline charged them.

Rumor has it that Princess uses an outside contractor to handle the administrative side of the EZ check program. I suspect that they do not communicate directly with the airlines. When my boarding pass comes from the airline, it notes my status. This time there was no notation. Another indication that a third party was involved.

I would not use this service as there is no way to track you airline status wit Princess... why should they care?

I am hoping that this was an unusual situation. I would think that more people would have posted by now if they were experiencing bad service.

It will be interesting to watch the board to see if cruisers like this service.

I've used the service twice and love it, absolutely no problems. Put my luggage outside in the hall and didn't see it again until I reach my home airport. (cruise line prints your airline boarding pass and delivers to your room.)

Debr

When I made my reservation with Princess for EZ Check, I took all my documentation regarding my free flight status to passeger services. They made copies of my paper work that I had printed out and I was not charged for luggage from Princess nor the airline. Everything went off without a hitch and it is one of the best services Princess offers.

Even if you get charges for luggage by Princess while the airline does not its your choice to determine if the convenience is worth it. After spending thousands of dollars for a cruise a few 20 dollar charges for the convenience of not handling your bags may be worth it. Don't forget by using ez check you avoid tips for porters at the pier and the airport on the way home.

You pay the price you make the choice.

Archived