Just booked a 15 day cruise on Silver Whisper

LauraBK

Yesterday, my husband and I booked a 15 day Norwegian Fjord cruise on the Silver Whisper in 2011!

One thing to mention...we have never been on a cruise before, and have also never been out of the US (with the exception of the Bahamas).

I have no idea what to expect and after reading some posts I'm a little worried about dress code. Can you wear jeans at all?

I'm really excited, I'd love any advice or to hear from anyone who has done this cruise.

Thanks!!

Just established the standard for the rest of your life -- nothing less will do;)

Silver Whisper and Norwegian Fjords -- my favorite ship and the most stunning cruise - and I have over 300 days with Silversea, have been on all the ships including the new Silver Spirit.

I will never forget opening the suite draperies that first morning after entering the fjords and saying OMG! stunning steep canyon walls right outside the window.

The trip is beautiful -- the ship is beautiful -- service is wonderful -- you'll meet interesting people -- you will have a fabulous trip.

For a first cruise -- you're a lucky girl!

Dusababy -

Wear the "nice" jeans or khakis.

One at-sea day on my last Silversea cruise, I was bopping around in yoga pants and a sweatshirt and started to notice that the other ladies had put a little (or a lot) more effort into it. Nobody looked at me funny or said anything, but I decided/realized that this is a special line and next time I'll try to do it more credit.

After all, they were treating me like royalty!

Oh I'm still going to be comfortable during the day, but next sea day I'll wear a nicer but still casual outfit. Non-wrinkled khakis with a fitted knit top or a crisp cotton blouse for hanging around the ship. Toss on some small earrings or a necklace if you choose, nothing fancy, but just a nod to how great the ship is and how well they treat you.

For the excursions, bring layers because a lot of the time you go from sea level to the mountains and even in July it will get very cold up there. I don't want to over-hype this fjord trip because you should discover for yourself how beautiful it will be, but HOT DANG it's gorgeous there!!!

I'm not normally into "scenic" cruising per se, but I cruised the fjords last May and the scenery really does take your breath away. The fact that you will be sailing on a smaller vessel means that the farthest reaches of the fjords are accessible (I went on Fred. Olsen's Boudicca, the former Royal Viking Sky, virtually the same size as the Whisper)......all the big ships will visit Flam, but only the smaller ones will visit the narrower, and arguably more picturesque, Gudvangen which is close by.

The earlier you go in the season the more spectacular the waterfalls will be (May/June best for this), and the weather will get progressively more reliable from June onwards.

Just make sure you have plenty of memory cards/film/space on hard drive/discs etc!!

Wow, thank you so much for all of the responses. We booked it on Saturday and I have been fretting over it since then, wondering if we made the wrong decision.

I was a little worried about Silversea because I didnt think we would fit in, we are not seasoned travelers and based on reviews we're younger than the average guest (based on what I read), and we aren't really formal. We're pretty laid back, my husband is in television and wears jeans to work everyday - I dont think I could get him into pants and suits for 15 days ;)

I was considering switching to Cunard for a similar trip. But all of your responses made me feel a little better.

Wow, thank you so much for all of the responses. We booked it on Saturday and I have been fretting over it since then, wondering if we made the wrong decision.

I was a little worried about Silversea because I didnt think we would fit in, we are not seasoned travelers and based on reviews we're younger than the average guest (based on what I read), and we aren't really formal. We're pretty laid back, my husband is in television and wears jeans to work everyday - I dont think I could get him into pants and suits for 15 days ;)

I was considering switching to Cunard for a similar trip. But all of your responses made me feel a little better.

Cunard is even more formal

Archived