Best use of time between excursions in Juneau

ACobra289

Hello,

While we are in Juneau, we have a couple of hours in between excursions that I would like to fill with a quick lunch and maybe some hiking or a visit to Mendenhall Glacier.

We will be finished with the zip line around 11:45. Check in time for the whale watch is no later than 2:45. So if we grab lunch somewhere, would we have enough time to make the trip to Mendenhall Glacier worth it?

Any suggestions on this would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Bill

Since i love mendenhal and looking forward to goiing back that is a tough question. i might hit tracy's and run fast to the mts or skip lunch and get something aftersecond tour..

good lunch or dinner places are-- Twisted Fish and The Hanger.

why are you Zip lining there and not ICP then you could hike at mendenhall, lunch and enjoy your tour.

my first trip to Alaska I neveer had lunch- no time.. so went for a beer and salad with fish at 3 to run back to the ship in time to leave.. felt rushed but it was worth it.

We will be finished with the zip line around 11:45. Check in time for the whale watch is no later than 2:45. So if we grab lunch somewhere, would we have enough time to make the trip to Mendenhall Glacier worth it?l

My suggestion would be to coordinate with your whale watch company and make arrangements for them to pick you up at Mendenhall Glacier. That would save you from wasting time traveling back and forth.

The popular independent operators will pick passengers up at Mendenhall on the way to whale watching, or drop them off at Mendenhall afterwards.

My suggestion would be to coordinate with your whale watch company and make arrangements for them to pick you up at Mendenhall Glacier. That would save you from wasting time traveling back and forth.

The popular independent operators will pick passengers up at Mendenhall on the way to whale watching, or drop them off at Mendenhall afterwards.

I agree, depending on who your using for your Whale Watching Tour, ask them to just pick you up at Mendenhall Glacier. If your using Harv & Marv, you will have no problem having them agree to it, I know that for sure. I'm not sure how you will get to Mendenhall Glacier. When I went I had Harv & Marv drive us there from of whale watching and then they picked us up about an hour later and dropped us off at Twisted Fish restaurant. I'm sure somebody on this board can tell you the best way to get there from downtown Juneau.

I love eating at the Twisted Fish, the Best & Biggest Alaskan King Crab Legs, I have ever had and believe me I have had plenty of them to compare:D. I would plan on close to an hour if your going to eat there though.

the hanger on the wharf is not a "quick lunch" esp as your time frame is at the rush peak.

that is why i would do tracy's// my idea was zip line in ICP so he could have a relax lunch before the whales.. we dock early and he could do mendenhall, lunch and whales.

that's good suggestion.

Thanks to everyone for the help.

We are doing a bear watch in ISP, so I had to squeeze the zip line in somewhere else.

Sounds like lunch would eat up a large amount of time, so maybe we should just carry snacks or something with us.

We are going whale watching with Orca. I wanted to use H&M, but unfortunately they are closed that day. I'll check with Orca to see if they will pick us up at Mendenhall.

Thanks,

Bill

We ate at Tracy's last June. Highly recommended, but be prepared, it says Tracy's Crab Shack, and thata is exactly what it is. A portable type building set up with a counter where you order...crab legs, crab bisqe, or a bowl of crab already pulled out. You sit at a picnic type table with paper plates and napkins. Would I do it again, in a heartbeat!! Even got a picture with the owner holding a handful of giant crab legs.

Archived