Is Century the right ship for first time Celebrity Cruise?

LarryF

Hello all,

My wife and I are considering booking the Celebrity Century for a 12 night September Mediterranean cruise. We've sailed on most of the major market cruise lines and mostly Princess in the last 10 years.

We are very open to cruising on Celebrity, but our main concern is sailing on the Century because of the age of the ship. I've read some reviews (which I take with a grain of salt) that mention issues with the ship because of engine noise, wear and tear and a drop in service levels. The cost of the 12 night Century cruise is significantly lower than similar cruises on Princess and HAL, which give me pause to wonder why the cost is so much less.

I really would like to get some honest comments about the Century. I don't need to be sold on Celebrity as we have always wanted to sail Celebrity....just not sure if Century is the right ship.

Thanks,

Larry

Century was our first Celebrity Cruise three years ago and we have been on 10 =X= cruises since. It was the Baltic and it was an incredible experience. We just completed a 4 day Western Caribbean on Century. It is now older, a little worn, but still a magnificent ship. The service and food were excellent. That being said, if you can cruise on the Solstice Class of ships, I will guarantee you an incredible vacation. They are world class ships, and the best that Celebrity has to offer.

We took the Century in December of 2009 for our first Celebrity Cruise and we loved it so much we are now book on the Equinox for March of this year!! The Century is a great ship, very easy to get around. Even though she is older - you wouldn't know it. I would not hesistate to cruise on her again.

I have no frame of ref for other X ships, but having been on may other cruise lines I was pretty happy with the Century. The ships layout/size made its age obvious, but it was in overall great condition from what I saw. Older ships are generally less expensive within a given line, its all marketability. I wouldn't hesitate, but then again, I prefer smaller and quieter ships.

There is a wicked vibration in the aft when the aft thrusters are on, but its only when berthing. Worked as my alarm clock in our aft cabin :-)

Also did our 1st cruise on Century. It got us hooked on cruising and we sailed Equinox later that year. No comparison betw. Century and S-Class ships. Century was nice with good service and very good food. Equinox was far and away superior in terms of design, newness and the sheer variety of options available. There are many S class amenities that I wouldn't sail w/out now - Aquaclass, Blu, Solarium - being my top favorites. There is a reason why many of X's ships are being "Solsticized."

Century is a good cruise; Solstice class a great cruise imo.

We are booked on Century for this September - Med. cruise. We originally were booked on Royal caribbean - Brillance, then switched to Azamara, Now are booked on Century, the price was by far the best for the money. We have sailed Celebrity once before on Galaxy. Galaxy was the same class of ship as Century, and we absolutly loved it. Loved the smaller size ship, the service, etc......Century had a multi-million dollar re-furbishment in 2006. :)

Thanks for for all your replies. I am leaning toward booking this cruise. The price is very attractive and the ports are the main draw for us. It sounds like the ship has great service. The nagatives in the cruise guys review are of concern, but it doesn't sound like the positives far outweighed the negatives.

Thanks,

Larry

We were on the Century in December of 2008 for a transatlantic and loved it. We found the ship to be in very good condition and the service was very good everywhere. We have just booked Century in October for the same trip you are considering and can't wait. The itinerary looks great and we know the Century staff will take good care of us. I don't think you will be disappointed with your choice. Everyone has different opinions of what makes for a good cruise and we have seen some changes in Celebrity over the past 8 years due to budget cuts, etc., but we still think they give us a great vacation experience.

Hope you have a wonderful trip!

Thanks for for all your replies. I am leaning toward booking this cruise. The price is very attractive and the ports are the main draw for us. It sounds like the ship has great service. The nagatives in the cruise guys review are of concern, but it doesn't sound like the positives far outweighed the negatives.

Thanks,

Larry

Seeing that you live in Florida, why not surprise your wife with 4-day short cruise on the Century to make up your mind about the ship. There is a 4-day from Miami to Cozumel April 8-12 $249 for an interior, $529 for a Balcony. If you like it enough book on the ship for an extra discount.

In Europe the Century is a great size ship, not too big. Especially in VillaFranche where the ship tenders. No matter what Celebrity ship, I have always found the service to the same across all ships. It certainly is not going to be the level of Azamara but certainly much for service then on RCCL.

Med itineraries are so, so, so port intensive.

You are off the ship most of the day, and in our experience, we returned pretty overwhelmed (tired) and wanted to be fresh for the next port, so did not take advantage of much onboard anyway (i.e. entertainment, spa, gym).

Service depends on the STAFF, not the age of the ship and we've always experienced great service whether sailing the Mediterranean on the nearly-new Millennium or the Caribbean on the nearly-retired Horizon.

Why pay the extra cost of a "new" ship when you won't be onboard to appreciate it as much?

Med itineraries are so' date=' so, so port intensive.

You are off the ship most of the day, and in our experience, we returned pretty overwhelmed (tired) and wanted to be fresh for the next port, so did not take advantage of much onboard anyway (i.e. entertainment, spa, gym).

Service depends on the STAFF, not the age of the ship and we've always experienced great service whether sailing the Mediterranean on the nearly-new Millennium or the Caribbean on the nearly-retired Horizon.

Why pay the extra cost of a "new" ship when you won't be onboard to appreciate it as much?[/quote']

I totally agree with you! My final debate is over price and itinerary.

The Century is about $500 less expensive than the Ruby Princess. Both lines have 5 common ports (Barcelona, Naples, Venice, Rome and Florence). Century also sails to Split, Dubrovnik, and Provence (Toulon). Ruby also sails to Monte Carlo, Mykonos, Istanbul, Kusadasi and Athens. Century has 3 sea days and Ruby has 2 sea days.

At this point my decision is not based at all on the cruise line or ship as I agree that most of my time on the ship is going to be sleeping. I like both itineraries; however, the Ruby itinerary does sound a little better. The question is, do I like it $500 better?? As I have never been to any of these ports, my question to those that have cruised to all these ports which itinerary would you choose given my choice?

Thanks,

Larry

While it's true that the newer ships are more stylish and might have some more activities, we thought the Century was very nice. Some of our other recent trips included Queen Mary 2 (in a suite) and Emerald Princess (identical to Ruby), so we've been able to compare.

The Century's smaller size was very welcome and we never once used elevators the entire cruise (part of our plan to burn off some calories). There were a few glazed-over windows and some rust buckles if you looked closely, but the ship still shines from it's major rebuild a few years ago.

If you'd like to see some more photos and comments, here is my link:

http://web.me.com/charles.breer/Cruise_photo_albums/Celebrity_Century_Feb_2010.html

The price is likely lower due to the perceived shortcomings, but in our view the experience exceeded our expectations.

Charles

St Paul, MN

Archived