How important is it to declare pregnancy to cruise line?

AandBmom

I've read the Carnival policy and I'm sure other lines are similar. Now if I'm planning to cruise at about 20 weeks pregnant (well before their 24 week cutoff), how important is it for me to go through the paperwork ahead of time to notify them of the pregnancy? I'm thinking that if I show up for my cruise and not bother with all that it's not like someone is going to be rude enough to comment on my fat looking belly and say "are you pregnant, or just a little pudgy?". Is there any sort of declaration that you have to sign that says you're not pregnant, or anything else like that? Is there a chance that it could just not be mentioned? Please advise based on your experience/knowledge?

Just to add, I'm not trying to hide the pregnancy, just curious if the steps of the paperwork are necessary.

Why wouldn't you complete the required paperwork? If you don't have it, and they ask for it, you will be denied boarding. It wouldn't be rude for them to ask you if you were pregnant. There is a liability there, and I can well imagine someone questioning you. Never sailed Carnival, so I have mo idea what their preboarding paperwork looks like.

Carnival's policy seems quite clear:

Pregnant women less than 24 weeks must submit, prior to departure, Carnival's Pregnancy Certification Form, which must be completed and signed by the guest's physician. On the Pregnancy Certificate Form, the attending physician will be required to certify the gestational period and that the expecting mother is fit to sail.

Because the safety of the pregnant mother and unborn child is our number one concern, Carnival will not accept any agreement or recommendation from the Guest and/or her physician that the policy be waived.

If you don't have the form, you will not be allowed to sail. It's pretty easy to distinguish between "pudgy" and pregnant.

Why do people balk at policies in place that are there for their safety and protection!??

OK, you'll be sailing well before their 24 week cutoff. Pregnancies aren't always trouble free, risk free. Stuff happens. Sure, it's for their protection too, but if you're not hiding this pregnancy for some reason, why not do as they ask, and fill out the paperwork??

I hate paperwork and dealing with forms as much as the next person, but this sort of thing is so easy and Dr's offices do it all the time. Why not just get the paper at your next visit then fax it in?

You still have free time to do that now, after the baby, not so much! =)

On a personal note, I cruised Royal Caribbean around 18 weeks pregnant, had the paperwork, faxed it in, had it at check in and was never asked once at check in or on the cruise if I was pregnant or if I had any paperwork with me.

I cruised RCI about 23 weeks pregnant and did all the required paperwork. It was a HASSLE! My obgyn does not speak or write english, and RCI would not accept a statement in German (I'm Swiss), so I had to do all the translation work and had to talk her into signing a paper she did not understand. Difficult!

I faxed it in and never got a confirmation that it was in their system. At check-in, nobody asked me if I were pregnant, and they did not want to see the paperwork. On the whole cruise, only one woman asked if I were pregnant: she was a midwife and it was clear to her that my 'tummy fat' was indeed 'baby fat' where others might just have thought I was a bit chubby... :D

To be honest: If I will be cruising pregnant again (and I most certainly will), I will not do the paperwork again! ;)

The carnival form is pretty straight forward. It asks the dr. to confirm

pregnancy date (so they can confirm the 24 weeks) and to sign a statement to the effect that there is nothing about your pregnancy that would cause your doctor to recommend that you not go on the cruise.

They tell you in MANY places that you can be denied boarding if you do not have it. They try to scare the crap out of you to make sure that you bring it with you - they even imply that your trip could be cancelled if you don't have it into the office a week in advance.

The actual dates are a bit more squishy. Carnival requests that it be in the special needs office a week in advance. This, they told me, is so that if there is something wrong or missing, you still have time to get it corrected. They told me that you could just show up with it at the port, but if there is something wrong with it, you might be stuck at the port with nowhere to go.

My sister was not asked for it at the port but we were good about getting the forms in early. She is expecting twins and we did not want to take any chances.

When you fax it in or e-mail it to the special needs desk and include your e-mail on it, you will get an e-mail back that they got it. It takes a couple days for them to match your paperwork with your booking. When you send it in, make sure your e-mail address is on it and if you don't hear back from them in a couple business days, call them to make sure they got it.

hb5

Here's my thought - at this point, you will probably at least be in the doctors office at least once, right? :)

While you're there -- how about just getting a little note that says "My patient {insert name here} will be {insert weeks here} and is cleared to travel. Signed -- doctor's name, address, phone

There are links to news stories all over cruise critic where women have been denied boading because they were pregnant. Now, those women were over 24 weeks. However, why risk it? You want to start off your relaxing vacation - relaxed. Right? :D

You don't want to be worried about this -- its not good for you or the baby. So just get the letter the next time you happen to be in the docs office. Just in case. ;)

I will just get the form to be on the safe side and it's not really all that difficult. As long as I have an appt. anyway they won't charge me specfically to do the form.

I still don't see how it's for my safety or protection. It's all for their liability.

I think it could also be for your safety. This ensures that you have had a conversation with your doctor about the cruise and if it would be safe for this particular pregnancy.

I had pregnancy complications and had to have restricted activity. That said, in my eighth month I asked the doctor if I could go to Atlantic City for the weekend (last hurrah before baby). He said "They have hospitals in Atlantic City, go and have fun." I imagine (for me anyway) it would have been a very different response if I had asked about going on a cruise. A lot of pregnancy complications are fine here in the United States, with immediate access to high quality medical intervention. These same issues could be life threatening to both you and the baby if a multi-hour medical evacuation would have to take place.

I will just get the form to be on the safe side and it's not really all that difficult. As long as I have an appt. anyway they won't charge me specfically to do the form.

I still don't see how it's for my safety or protection. It's all for their liability.

You're right. It is for their liability. Its won't make a difference for your safety because let's be blunt, they aren't adding any special medical doctor onboard because you'll be there.

Have a great cruise. Get lost of rest. Cause God knows, you'll need it just 25 weeks later. :D

The reason why I have trouble seeing it be for my safety is I guess it's just obvious to me that I would make sure travelling is a good, safe idea for me before going away regardless of their little form. I can also see why the cut off date is 25 weeks because if anything major happens before that (ie. early labor) there isn't anything even the best hospitals can do for the baby. After that though it's considered a viable pregnancy and they don't want a preemie being born on their ship I'm sure.

This is my 4th child so I know what 20 weeks pregnant is like (that's what I'll be when we cruise). For me 20 weeks is the perfect time, I'm not feeling very big yet, just a little thick through the middle. I'm usually energetic and feeling great.

I cruised at 20 weeks and as I have posted before I just overdid it a bit in a couple of ports. No one could tell I was pregnant, in fact people didn't believe me when I told them. Just be sure to stay hydrated and take it easy. I was walking 2 miles a day at home so thought it was no big deal to do a lot of walking on shore. What I thought was the baby's first kicks turned out to be contractions. It turned out not to be a big deal but would have scared the daylights out of me if I had known at the time. With this being number 4 I am sure you know all about that. Looking back on it if I hadn't filed the form and had developed some sort of complication they could have removed me from the ship, charged me excessive medical fees, etc. It's easier to do the paperwork than to have to be concerned with anything like that. Enjoy your vacation!

I cruised RCI about 23 weeks pregnant and did all the required paperwork. It was a HASSLE! My obgyn does not speak or write english, and RCI would not accept a statement in German (I'm Swiss), so I had to do all the translation work and had to talk her into signing a paper she did not understand. Difficult!

I faxed it in and never got a confirmation that it was in their system. At check-in, nobody asked me if I were pregnant, and they did not want to see the paperwork. On the whole cruise, only one woman asked if I were pregnant: she was a midwife and it was clear to her that my 'tummy fat' was indeed 'baby fat' where others might just have thought I was a bit chubby... :D

To be honest: If I will be cruising pregnant again (and I most certainly will), I will not do the paperwork again! ;)

Quite frankly, this seems very strange to me. I have several Swiss and German friends, and they all speak fluent English. Your English seems just fine. My Swiss friend (a retired engineer) told me that they begin taking English language in the lower school grades. I lived in Germany as a child, and spent two weeks there visiting friends in Frankfurt, Tann, Rottach, and Bonn several years ago. I never visited any restaurants, shops, hotels, or even gas stations where English wasn't spoken. Same thing in Austria, where we spent two nights in Innsbruck. I find it hard to believe that an obviously well-educated physician in Switzerland doesn't speak at least some English. Regardless, the forms required by the cruise line are there for a reason- the safety of two people.

Quite frankly, this seems very strange to me. I have several Swiss and German friends, and they all speak fluent English. Your English seems just fine. My Swiss friend (a retired engineer) told me that they begin taking English language in the lower school grades. I lived in Germany as a child, and spent two weeks there visiting friends in Frankfurt, Tann, Rottach, and Bonn several years ago. I never visited any restaurants, shops, hotels, or even gas stations where English wasn't spoken. Same thing in Austria, where we spent two nights in Innsbruck. I find it hard to believe that an obviously well-educated physician in Switzerland doesn't speak at least some English.

That may be true for younger Swiss and/or German people. My physician is now 60 years old, she only had to learn French in school. Same for me, and I'm quite a bit younger (35)!

That may be true for younger Swiss and/or German people. My physician is now 60 years old, she only had to learn French in school. Same for me, and I'm quite a bit younger (35)!

My Swiss friends are now in their 60s, and they all were required to take French AND English in school. We were all born after WWII - barely. My German friends (same age) learned English in boarding school as well as public school. It was true for older Swiss and German students then. I lived in Germany from 1950-1953/4, and my parents enrolled me in a German school. I cried daily for months in Kindergarten because I didn't speak German and couldn't ask where the toilet was! By grade two, we were learning English, so I was a star pupil! We spoke English at home, and I spoke "local" German - badly. Your own English is very good. Did you learn it in school? BTW - I am older than your physician, and can state factually that English was taught in grade two in Germany in 1953 in Rottach (south of Munich).

I've read the Carnival policy and I'm sure other lines are similar. Now if I'm planning to cruise at about 20 weeks pregnant (well before their 24 week cutoff), how important is it for me to go through the paperwork ahead of time to notify them of the pregnancy? I'm thinking that if I show up for my cruise and not bother with all that it's not like someone is going to be rude enough to comment on my fat looking belly and say "are you pregnant, or just a little pudgy?". Is there any sort of declaration that you have to sign that says you're not pregnant, or anything else like that? Is there a chance that it could just not be mentioned? Please advise based on your experience/knowledge?

Just to add, I'm not trying to hide the pregnancy, just curious if the steps of the paperwork are necessary.

Say you are 20 weeks......but you look like 30 weeks along.......how are you going to prove you are not +24 weeks and get denied boarding........

Say you are 20 weeks......but you look like 30 weeks along.......how are you going to prove you are not +24 weeks and get denied boarding........

I've already booked and informed them of the pregnancy. I'll do the form, I was more just curious about how necessary it is.

However, I would be shocked if I looked 30 weeks at 20. I never have and this pregnancy so far I'm not gaining nearly as quickly as the others (likely because the 3 kids keep me active!). I can just see the conversation, "um excuse me, it doesn't say anything about your pregnancy here and I don't see forms, but you look pregnant",

tears in the eyes, "I've tried so hard to lose the baby weight from my last child and it just won't come off, I know I'm fat, but did you need to point it out". Awkward!

But like I said, no worries, it's all done properly!

I've already booked and informed them of the pregnancy. I'll do the form, I was more just curious about how necessary it is.

However, I would be shocked if I looked 30 weeks at 20. I never have and this pregnancy so far I'm not gaining nearly as quickly as the others (likely because the 3 kids keep me active!). I can just see the conversation, "um excuse me, it doesn't say anything about your pregnancy here and I don't see forms, but you look pregnant",

tears in the eyes, "I've tried so hard to lose the baby weight from my last child and it just won't come off, I know I'm fat, but did you need to point it out". Awkward!

But like I said, no worries, it's all done properly!

So... let's just say, for example, something completely unexpected happens - you get a little too much sun in port, maybe, and before you realize how bad it is, you've left your husband somewhere to visit the bathroom and you faint. Would you rather the link up from your key card did or did not show that you were pregnant?

I'm just saying - sure, the policy is about preventing potential issues for Carnival - but EVERY issue that they could hope to avoid regarding a pregnant woman INVOLVES THE PREGNANT WOMAN! Who knows, maybe the form has a question on it that your doctor needs to consider and discuss with you.

Also, sadly, while I understand your perspective as someone who wouldn't travel if you hadn't already investigated everything and determined that it was safe, there are plenty of other women who don't. As with so many other miles and miles of red tape in the world, it's people like that who have made the forms necessary. :rolleyes:

So... let's just say, for example, something completely unexpected happens - you get a little too much sun in port, maybe, and before you realize how bad it is, you've left your husband somewhere to visit the bathroom and you faint. Would you rather the link up from your key card did or did not show that you were pregnant?

I'm just saying - sure, the policy is about preventing potential issues for Carnival - but EVERY issue that they could hope to avoid regarding a pregnant woman INVOLVES THE PREGNANT WOMAN! Who knows, maybe the form has a question on it that your doctor needs to consider and discuss with you.

Also, sadly, while I understand your perspective as someone who wouldn't travel if you hadn't already investigated everything and determined that it was safe, there are plenty of other women who don't. As with so many other miles and miles of red tape in the world, it's people like that who have made the forms necessary. :rolleyes:

That's a very good point!

The form actually just asks the Dr. to confirm that I won't be past 24 weeks on the sail date and that there is no medical reason related to the pregnancy for me to avoid sailing. The Dr. shouldn't have any trouble filling it out. Now I just have to remember to bring it to her at my next appt.

• 2 months later...

I declared it ahead of time, and got a confirmation email back. I tried to use the self assist computer when embarking but got a message up that I had to see a live person. I got in that line and the lady needed to see my letter, then she left for about 10 minutes where she had to photocopy my letter and file it with management or something like that. It was all fine, just not as smooth as I thought they could've run things. Oh well, it worked out fine.

I declared it ahead of time, and got a confirmation email back. I tried to use the self assist computer when embarking but got a message up that I had to see a live person. I got in that line and the lady needed to see my letter, then she left for about 10 minutes where she had to photocopy my letter and file it with management or something like that. It was all fine, just not as smooth as I thought they could've run things. Oh well, it worked out fine.

Thanks for updating that! You know we always wonder if they really check to see if you have the letter with you. And I guess we now have the answer. :D

So how was the cruise? Was it relaxing?

I sailed on Celebrity at 14 weeks 3 years ago. I don't know if they had a form to fill out but if they did I didn't do it. I did tell them I was pregnant when I made the reservation and no one said anything to me about additional forms etc. Of course I wasn't showing much at 14 weeks so no one would question me.

Last year on the Ncl Pearl I saw a women denied boarding because she was obviously pregnant and had not brought a note from her Dr. She and her family members were standing there crying. I was also pregnant and 20 weeks along with my third baby, they did not ask me for my note from my Doctor but I did have it just in case. Thank God!!!

Its not worth doing this to the rest of your family. Just complete the paper work or get the Dr.s note written and go have fun on your cruise!!!

Last year on the Ncl Pearl I saw a women denied boarding because she was obviously pregnant and had not brought a note from her Dr. She and her family members were standing there crying. I was also pregnant and 20 weeks along with my third baby, they did not ask me for my note from my Doctor but I did have it just in case. Thank God!!!

Its not worth doing this to the rest of your family. Just complete the paper work or get the Dr.s note written and go have fun on your cruise!!!

Absolutly! It's not a big deal to get the note from the dr. Not only is it a "rule" but it's nice for the staff to know if they have a pregnant person on board the ship. When I cruised in 2000 I was 20 weeks pregnant and I had my note. I did NOT want to take a chance on not being allowed to board the ship because I wasn't "cleared" to sail. They just want to make sure you are healthy enough to cruise.

Archived