New to HAL, Questions

Luna'sMom

Hi,

We are longtime cruisers but never on HAL. I am looking at the Veendam to Bermuda out of NYC. We are over 55; prefer a relaxed cruise, always in a balcony cabin, and like good dining. We are Gold level on NCL, not that we love their food, but love freestyle. Our travel agent does not think HAL is worth the significant price difference vs.NCL. I prefer the itinerary on HAL for Bermuda. I would greatly appreciate your thoughts?

Thanks.

Hi' date='

We are longtime cruisers but never on HAL. I am looking at the Veendam to Bermuda out of NYC. We are over 55; prefer a relaxed cruise, always in a balcony cabin, and like good dining. We are Gold level on NCL, not that we love their food, but love freestyle. Our travel agent does not think HAL is worth the significant price difference vs.NCL. I prefer the itinerary on HAL for Bermuda. I would greatly appreciate your thoughts?

Thanks.[/quote']

I don't know how helpful this will be to you but I'll tell you that I've enjoyed every one of my cruises on Holland America and consider the fare well worth it.

I'm not sure why your travel agent disagrees, but to each his own.:rolleyes:

HAL has a version of freestyle dining available (open seating) in half of the dining room that should give you what you're looking for on that score.

You can do anytime dining on HAL however if you plan on eating in the dining room or the pinnacle grill you must adhere to the dress for the evening. Obviously you have less dining options, however the food, in my opinion is much better on HAL. Ipersonally think its worth the cost difference.

You should cruise according to your wants, if you like the itinerary, why not give it a try? Unless your travel agent is paying for your cruise...;)

Laura

I don't know what what the TA's reasons are for giving you that advice, but we certainly feel that the fares we've paid on our 10 HAL cruises were "worth it". There's only one way for you to find out it they are worth it to you, and that's trying it once.

Luna'sMom,

As you can see from my signature block, my wife and I have cruised aboard NCL ships as well as HAL many times, and I really don't agree with your TA's assessment that it's not worth the significant price difference. IMHO, the difference in the quality of the HAL experience vs NCL, is certainly worth the the few extra bucks it may take to book HAL. To me, the elegance aboard HAL's ships is in contrast to the anything goes mindset aboard the NCL ships I've cruised aboard. Things like the lack of a dress code in the MDRs aboard NCL, the party atmosphere 24/7, and my biggest issue, the lack of a connection between the crew and passengers, significantly set the two lines apart. Don't get me wrong, if the itinerary is unique, I'd book NCL again, but when I'm aboard their ships, I keep wishing I was aboard a HAL ship instead.:rolleyes:

We are also interested in Veendam to Bermuda out of NYC (in fact, more than interested, we just put down the deposit!).

Not elated with the price, but they are the only ones who visit Hamilton & St. George's (paying for convenince!). For me, itinerary is a huge factor in my decision.

Ok, one more question. Does my DH need to wear a jacket to dinner every night? I can probably convince him for 1 or 2 times, but every night might be the deal breaker. I do not want to give the wrong impression, he dresses appropriately every night, but he hates wearing a suit on vacation. I am pressing for HAL because of the itinerary...

Thank you all for your responses, it is appreciated.

Ok' date=' one more question. Does my DH need to wear a jacket to dinner every night? I can probably convince him for 1 or 2 times, but every night might be the deal breaker. I do not want to give the wrong impression, he dresses appropriately every night, but he hates wearing a suit on vacation. I am pressing for HAL because of the itinerary...

Thank you all for your responses, it is appreciated.[/quote']

No. Jackets are required for formal night but not for the "smart casual nights". Have not been on NCL but LOVE HAL---give it a try!:)

Marge

No, he does not need to wear a jacket every night. That would be a deal breaker for me too.

For what it's worth, I've cruised both HAL and NCL and HAL is worth a lot more than the difference usually found in the fares.

Have a great cruise. You'll love HAL.

Evening dress falls into two distinct categories: Formal or Smart Casual. Smart Casual can be defined as slacks and collared shirts for men and casual dresses, slacks and informal evening wear for women. T-shirts, swimsuits, tank tops and shorts are not allowed in the restaurants or public areas during the evening hours. On festive Formal evenings, ladies usually wear a suit, cocktail dress or gown and gentlemen wear a jacket and tie, dark suit or tuxedo. There are approximately two formal nights per week.

Evening dress falls into two distinct categories: Formal or Smart Casual. Smart Casual can be defined as slacks and collared shirts for men and casual dresses, slacks and informal evening wear for women. T-shirts, swimsuits, tank tops and shorts are not allowed in the restaurants or public areas during the evening hours. On festive Formal evenings, ladies usually wear a suit, cocktail dress or gown and gentlemen wear a jacket and tie, dark suit or tuxedo. There are approximately two formal nights per week.

can i wear smart jeans and a shirt for smart casual?

Hi' date='

Thanks.[/quote']

Hmm. With a remark like that, I wonder if your travel agent has ever cruised on HAL.

We have cruised on both HAL and NCL and have cruises this year booked on both but I'd definitely say that HAL is worth the price difference. Besides the service being friendlier and better, the cabin service menu is awesome. And I find that the cabins are larger. At least the OV ones are.

I had been looking at the NCL Dawn for Spring break. It is a 9 day cruise. I ended up on the Noordam for 10 days cheaper.

My point.....look around because HAL has some deals for 3rd and 4th passenagers right now. Don't just awesome HAL is more expensive.

I can not comment on any other differnece since this is my first HAL trip. But I will let you know when I get back. I do have to say the people on the HAL boards are much more positive about their line than any other board I have researched.

I had been looking at the NCL Dawn for Spring break. It is a 9 day cruise. I ended up on the Noordam for 10 days cheaper.

My point.....look around because HAL has some deals for 3rd and 4th passenagers right now. Don't just awesome HAL is more expensive.

I can not comment on any other differnece since this is my first HAL trip. But I will let you know when I get back. I do have to say the people on the HAL boards are much more positive about their line than any other board I have researched.

If you have flexibility on departure dates, you can get a lower price. (My kids schedules restrict me to the summer, when the rates to Bermuda are highest!:().

Archived