WOW Phone Question

nicmur143

Hi All ~ Where do we get the WOW phones when we board? We are going to try to get them so we can keep in touch with our 11 year old. We hope there is some sort of holster or something so he won't misplace it and cost us even more!! Does anyone know if it comes with one? Thanks!:)

No holster.

After you board the Royal Promenade, go down one flight to the Comedy Club, and outside there should be someone to take your info. Then, you'll need to proceed to the Conference Center to get your phones configured.

(The locations may change, but this was what on Saturday at we had to do)

This is not a short process. We were the first ones on the ship to get them on Saturday and it took at least a half hour. But...while we were waiting, the line queued around the corner.

The phones will need charging at least once per day. They cannot be put in sleep mode as it will not work - hence the shorter battery life.

Trust me on this one...you will NOT regret doing this immediately when you board. You'll be patting yourself on the back all week.

A caveat, however...your kids MUST understand that it's not a toy and you can NOT try to do anything else with it other than what it's intended to do.

Okay, I'll get lit up for this, but I can't help it, because this always amazes me.

With around 5,000 people aboard, Oasis is like a small city. How much time do you let your 11 year old wander around alone in a small city?

Why do people think it's okay to let young children wander unsupervised on a cruise ship when they would never let them do this on land:confused:

They don't do much in the way of background check for those thousands of guests you know. I'd just stay together most of the time.

Okay, I'll get lit up for this, but I can't help it, because this always amazes me.

With around 5,000 people aboard, Oasis is like a small city. How much time do you let your 11 year old wander around alone in a small city?

Why do people think it's okay to let young children wander unsupervised on a cruise ship when they would never let them do this on land:confused:

They don't do much in the way of background check for those thousands of guests you know. I'd just stay together most of the time.

You shouldn't get "lit up" for that question.

But I can tell you that when my kids were 11 years old, they never went unsupervised on any ship they were on. They were either with us or in the kid's club. I wish all other parents felt the same way.

But I can tell you that when my kids were 11 years old, they never went unsupervised on any ship they were on. They were either with us or in the kid's club. I wish all other parents felt the same way.

Cheers to you! :D

I think the phone is the way to go for us too. Hope they don't run out.

I was amazied how many kids late at night were playing with the elevators. I'm talking little kids around 7, 8, 9, 10 year olds. My kids and grands were always kept by our sides unless in the kids club. Kudos to parents that take their job as parents serious.

As the parent of a 10 yr old, I agree. My daughter is either in the Kids Club or with us. We don't want her to wander around freely! We aren't getting the phones b/c we don't think we will need them.

My daughter is 16 and will probably be with us all the time but if she meets some other teens in the teen center I would like to have a connection. Son is 10 and will always be with us. I also hope they do not run out. Thanks for the location as to where to pick them up.

No holster.

After you board the Royal Promenade, go down one flight to the Comedy Club, and outside there should be someone to take your info. Then, you'll need to proceed to the Conference Center to get your phones configured.

(The locations may change, but this was what on Saturday at we had to do)

This is not a short process. We were the first ones on the ship to get them on Saturday and it took at least a half hour. But...while we were waiting, the line queued around the corner.

The phones will need charging at least once per day. They cannot be put in sleep mode as it will not work - hence the shorter battery life.

Trust me on this one...you will NOT regret doing this immediately when you board. You'll be patting yourself on the back all week.

A caveat, however...your kids MUST understand that it's not a toy and you can NOT try to do anything else with it other than what it's intended to do.

get your phones configured

What does that mean?

If you are traveling with a group are you able to communicate with the Royal Connect Phone?

get your phones configured

What does that mean?

If you are traveling with a group are you able to communicate with the Royal Connect Phone?

Yes. That's the whole point of the phones, to communicate with others in your party who also have phones. That is all they do. You can't use them to make calls to anyone other than other guests with whom you are traveling.

Yes. That's the whole point of the phones, to communicate with others in your party who also have phones. That is all they do. You can't use them to make calls to anyone other than other guests with whom you are traveling.

Actually, you can call any room on the ship from your Royal Connect phone. You can call the other phone users in your pre-configured group, other cabins, or Guest Services, etc.

By "getting your phones configured", that means the Oasis staffer has to set them up, enter the names of the people in your group on each phone that you will be able to text/locate/call, etc.

Actually, you can call any room on the ship from your Royal Connect phone. You can call the other phone users in your pre-configured group, other cabins, or Guest Services, etc.

By "getting your phones configured", that means the Oasis staffer has to set them up, enter the names of the people in your group on each phone that you will be able to text/locate/call, etc.

Thanks for clarifying their use. Beyond communication what other apps are on them? Such as scheduled daily activities, reservations or current wait times at the various eating venues?

How exactly does the locate thingy work? Is it linked to the phones or something else?

Thanks for clarifying their use. Beyond communication what other apps are on them? Such as scheduled daily activities, reservations or current wait times at the various eating venues?

How exactly does the locate thingy work? Is it linked to the phones or something else?

It has 4 apps they would prefer you stick to:

Call

Locate

Chat

Cruise Compass

There is also a Calendar app on the regular menu, but, again, you chance screwing up your phone if you use it.

No need to explain to you how to use it. They will show you when you get it and you will be able to figure it out immediately.

Is there added insurance in case it breaks? Or are you responsible for the cost? Do you leave it on the ship with them during shore time?

No added insurance. Just don't break it or lose it, otherwise it will set you back $1,000.

It doesn't work in port, so your best bet is to leave it in your safe when you get off the ship.

You get the WOW phones as soon as you board by going to Studio B on the Entertainment Deck. They cost $17.50. You can get them linked to others in your party that have them.

They have a GPS on them that allows you to locate anyone in your party and shows exactly where they are on the ship. They do not come with a holster, just a plastic skin. They are just IPhones without a SIM card. You can also call or text anyone in your party.

They also rent a locator bracelet for kids. It's about $10 for the week. The GPS always works perfectly on it. You will always know exactly where your child is, even in the elevators.

We had a few flaws in the GPS locator from phone to phone but it usually was correct. Getting the bracelet might be a better solution for your child since you agree to pay RCCL $1,000 if you lose or damage the IPhone. I'm not sure what the replacement cost for the bracelet is, but I can tell you our four year old granddaughter had one and it worked perfectly, every time.

All in all, this is a pretty cheap investment, since I have about three pairs of walkie-talkies around the house that have never worked on a ship.

Hope this answers your questions. Just don't lose it. It also comes with a charger so you agree to return the phone, the skin and the charger intact.

It has 4 apps they would prefer you stick to:

Call

Locate

Chat

Cruise Compass

There is also a Calendar app on the regular menu, but, again, you chance screwing up your phone if you use it.

No need to explain to you how to use it. They will show you when you get it and you will be able to figure it out immediately.

No added insurance. Just don't break it or lose it, otherwise it will set you back $1,000.

It doesn't work in port, so your best bet is to leave it in your safe when you get off the ship.

Thanks for the information Mike.

You get the WOW phones as soon as you board by going to Studio B on the Entertainment Deck. They cost $17.50. You can get them linked to others in your party that have them.

They have a GPS on them that allows you to locate anyone in your party and shows exactly where they are on the ship. They do not come with a holster, just a plastic skin. They are just IPhones without a SIM card. You can also call or text anyone in your party.

They also rent a locator bracelet for kids. It's about $10 for the week. The GPS always works perfectly on it. You will always know exactly where your child is, even in the elevators.

We had a few flaws in the GPS locator from phone to phone but it usually was correct. Getting the bracelet might be a better solution for your child since you agree to pay RCCL $1,000 if you lose or damage the IPhone. I'm not sure what the replacement cost for the bracelet is, but I can tell you our four year old granddaughter had one and it worked perfectly, every time.

All in all, this is a pretty cheap investment, since I have about three pairs of walkie-talkies around the house that have never worked on a ship.

Hope this answers your questions. Just don't lose it. It also comes with a charger so you agree to return the phone, the skin and the charger intact.

Thanks for the great info.

Just wanted to stress what was said earlier about not putting the phones into sleep mode or lock mode. Leave them EXACTLY they way they are delivered to you. This means that the display will be lit ALL THE TIME running the Royal Connect application.

I messed with mine trying to save battery life by putting into sleep mode and nobody could contact me. It took me a few days to figure out that was the problem. Once I did not use the sleep mode anymore, they were fine.

Bottom line, leave the phones alone just they way they are.

Archived