Which River Cruise Company Would Be Better To Use For A Cruise To Russia?

Suesan Jean

I am intrigued by River Cruising. I think it would be really interesting, different and educational. :)

After reading many reviews, I am CONFUSED.....!!! :confused:

WHICH company??? Viking?? AMA??

Are there any other River Cruise companies that go to Russia?

I will be traveling with my 18 year old Daughter.

I know that River Cruising is VASTLY DIFFERENT from cruising on the BIG ships, which is all we know. I think that my DD and I will still enjoy the River Cruise.

On a River Cruise to Russia, is there any kind of entertainment on board in the evenings? Or is it off to bed after Dinner? icon12.gif

Another question, how long are the organized tours each day? I would imagine that on some days they are short and on some days, like in Saint Petersburg, it is a long day.

Do you think my 18 year old daughter will enjoy herself or will she be bored to tears???

ANY thoughts and comments will be GREATLY APPRECIATED.....!!! icon14.gif :D

We took a Viking cruise, but it was an older ship with small staterooms.Would try search for more ship choices,,,,regardless.I say go for it....it was one of my favorite river cruises and I ve been on 7 or 8 so far.

As far as your daughter, she ll enjoy herself, we had a few teenagers on board and they just fit right in..because your on shore in different towns each day...so plenty to see..they usually scedule excursions in AM and have time free in PM , can go back to ship or stay in city.

Entertainment,,,, always have piano bar and music, plus, in many towns had local singer,band,etc...even dancers come on board....or just take a drink on deck and watch the sights go by.

Don t worry about speaking Russian, just learn a few words to get by, when I tried, most responded in broken English anyway.The people were very kind and felt very comfortable in all situations,even subway in Moscow.

Do get a guidebook to give you ideas on what you may want to do on own, or with excursions.

You re able to sit anywhere for meals, so your daughter can make friends with people from all over world.Of course, most passenger are older, so tell her ahead of time if that s a BIG problem.

Hope this helped, ask away if anything else.;)

We took a Viking cruise, but it was an older ship with small staterooms.Would try search for more ship choices,,,,regardless.I say go for it....it was one of my favorite river cruises and I ve been on 7 or 8 so far.

Well, it sounds like you enjoy River Cruising......!!! :D Do you remember which ship were you on in Russia?

As far as your daughter, she ll enjoy herself, we had a few teenagers on board and they just fit right in..because your on shore in different towns each day...so plenty to see..they usually scedule excursions in AM and have time free in PM , can go back to ship or stay in city.

Do you remember how long the tours were? Are there rest stops along the way? Is there alot of walking? As in miles and miles a day? It seems like it on some of the videos I have watched on youtube. I don't mind walking, just NOT miles and miles......:eek:

Entertainment,,,, always have piano bar and music, plus, in many towns had local singer,band,etc...even dancers come on board....or just take a drink on deck and watch the sights go by.

That sounds nice. :)

Don t worry about speaking Russian, just learn a few words to get by, when I tried, most responded in broken English anyway.The people were very kind and felt very comfortable in all situations,even subway in Moscow.

My DD was just talking about that this morning.....!!! :)

Do get a guidebook to give you ideas on what you may want to do on own, or with excursions.

You re able to sit anywhere for meals, so your daughter can make friends with people from all over world.Of course, most passenger are older, so tell her ahead of time if that s a BIG problem.

Hope this helped, ask away if anything else.

Thank You VERY MUCH for your reply......:) I DO appreciate it....!!!

We are looking forward to River Cruising in Russia.....!!! :D

But not sure if its beenupdated or not,may have new boat...we opted for junior suite and it was well worth extra money,much more room,nicer bathroom,etc..

Tours;;;depended on city...St Petersburg and Moscow about 20 min. ride on bus from pier....can always stop midway and meet up with group later...or take taxi back to boat...just get detailed dock info in Russian from concierge,most taxi drivers speak little English and this helps...learned that the hard way..Some small towns on river,,,can just walk back to boat if tired, or bored...Most tours last 4 hrs.or so,not THAT much

walking,try to accomodate all in group...

For instance, if you ve seen enough of Churchs, Museums,etc...can just sit down at exit and meet group then...know my husband did that A Lot....he d seen one to many churchs,I guess..So its up to you....

They gave lectures each night on excursions for the next day, so you can plan accordingly.Have a great trip, you ll love it.....then there s Egypt,Portugal, etc.........but thats for next time.............:D

I am writing to encourage you to take your daughter river cruising. I'm an old HS history teacher and if she can strike up conversations with the passengers she will receive an unbelievable education. On our last tour we sailed with Aussies and Kiwis. We met a man from Canada who was at DDay, an Aussie woman who was a prisoner of war in a Japanese internment camp with her mother, (they didn't know the status of her dad for 5 YEARS; he lived and they reunited) and an Aus man who had been 1st a German POW in Prague and then a Russian POW. These are the stories we are losing but if an 18 year old can remember them..think what she can tell her children. Ok...sorry, I get a little passionate on the subject; tell her to go...she'll see fashions before they get to North America, the music and the kids her age are awesome and the food is amazing! Good attitude....great trip!!!

We have been looking into the Russian cruise, too. St. Petersburg to Moscow or vice versa.

I have brochures from both Viking and AMA. The cabin on the AMA ship is much smaller than the Viking cabin, which is also small. I believe AMA rents their ship and Viking owns theirs.

Thank You ALL for your thoughts. :) icon14.gif

I think I am leaning towards Viking. I just have to figure out when would be a good time for us next year. Either the beginning of June or the end, I am not sure.......icon5.gif

I am trying to do as much research about Russian River Cruising as I can.

I have even gone to youtube and looked at Videos....... :D :D

I would try early June because not as hot, remember the buildings are NOT air conditioned...was warm inside Hermitage,Peterhof,Ballet etc....and that was early....just a hint...Also, got a new brochure from Viking and saw their Russian boats have been updated for 2011...that s great, can go for regular room and save money on suite...GLad you decided to go for it..have a great time...I d go again in a heartbeat:)

We traveled to Russia (Moscow to St. Petersburg) with Viking last July on their older ship (Pakhomov) with the smaller cabins. We had a wonderful trip and spent so little time in the cabin that it was not much of a drawback at all.

If you would like, I can e-mail you an invitation to view our trip pictures on Kodak Gallery. Just send your e-mail address to me (pjppaula@comcast.net). I would also be glad to answer any questions you might have about the trip.:):)

Archived