Dawn Princess 5-16-05 To Alaska

irismike

We would like to join your group of 30+ if possible. Where is everyone from? When we were on the Grand Princess to the Baltic last year and met quite a few people on cruise critic and when we got on the ship we all met. It was really nice going on such a large ship and already knowing people.

We just booked excursions on Princess web site? Has anybody done that yet?

We booked the following:

Ketchikan: Totem and Town Tour

Ketchikan by Horse

Juneau: Glacier and Dog Sled via helicopter

Mendenhall Glacier & Whale Quest

Skagway: White Pass Scenic Railway

Skagway's Original Street Car

Alaska Sled Dog & Musher's Camp (in case we didn't get to the one in Juneau.

In Skagway it was a toss up between Yukon and WHite Pass Railroad or White Pass Scenic railway.

Dodge 9 Any input since you have been there before. Would love to hear from everyone going on this cruise. Iris and Mike

IrisMike,

Hello, sorry it has taken so long to reply, we had a death in the family and I haven't been over to cruise critic much!

Most of our group is from the Pittsburgh, PA area... but also others from Florida, California and Michigan. We'd love to try and meet up... we do lot's of group activities/meetings during the cruise amongst our group.

I haven't booked any Princess tours yet, but most of the group is signed up for Capt. Larry's whale watch in Juneau (have done it last time as well). The first time to Skagway we did the train (the up and back train ride with Liarsville stop), we liked it, but it was too long. Last trip we did the jeep tour and loved it... saw what you could from the train and more and were able to stop and get good pictures of the bear we saw, where on the train you cann't stop and the bear was just a blur. This time we are either going to do the jeep tour again, rent a car or take the tour over to Haines... we did Haines on our first trip and liked it at as well. We usually just walk around Ketchikan... never my favorite stop. but just me I am sure! Glacier Bay is awesome and is the reason we booked this itinerary... first time we did Glacier Bay, second College Fjord and this one has both, but we really wanted Glacier Bay. This is our first time on Princess, hope we will like it! If you have any questions feel free to let me know!

Dear Dodge 9: SOrry to hear about the death in the family. We booked all our tours with Princess. We booked the Helicopter and Dog Sled in Juneau and the whale watching; in Ketchikan we booked the trolley and totem tours, in Skagway we booked the White Pass railroad and the street car. THis is our first time so we hope we booked the right choices. We corresponded with a group from all over the US last year when we went to the Baltic and all met at the Wheelhouse bar. It was really nice. How many times have you been to AlaskA? Do you do traditional or PC for dining? Are you doing stops before or after the cruise. Sorry about all the questions. We are from New York. Please keep in touch. Iris and Mike

This will be our third time to Alaska... I thought the first time I would go and make the hubby happy and get it over with, but I fell in love with Alaska and it is now my favorite of all my cruises! We saw bear and whales both previous times and eagles all over, it is awesome, especially in May! Your tours sound good, although some on cc disagree, I think it is a good idea to book with the ship tours your first time, so you will get the most in and not worry about anything or missing the ship. I have heard wonderful things about the helicopter rides (but I am afraid of them!). Our friends did the flight tour to Taku and absolutely raved about it. I am doing PC dining... I like going when I can instead of arranging my day around it... especially in Alaska... we always did so much and got tired and didn't want to rush to dinner or fear missing it. What are you doing for dinner? Did you get a balcony cabin? I highly recommend one for Alaska for seeing the glaciers and wildlife... other places it is nice to have, but not necessary; I think it is important in Alaska if you can do it. Keep in touch and feel free to ask any questions!

Iam not thrilled about helicopters either but my sister who is afraid of heights went because her husband wanted to and she said she woulddo it again in a heart beat. We couldn't affordthe extra cost for a balcony or outside cabin so we took an inside cabin. What deck are you on? Did you book a balcony? We are waitlisted for early traditional so we have personalchoice which is what my husband wanted anyway. Are you going with a group of friends or just you and your husband? It is just the two of us. We had CC buddies on our Princess baltic tour last year and it was great meeting everyone. If you want to contact me my email address is: irisbobi@hotmail.com Hope to hear from you soon and hopefully meet on the Dawn Princess. Take care. Iris and Mike .

Archived