My Bermuda fantasy trip... does this exist?

bundito

I would like to sail to Bermuda, stay at one of the resorts for a few days, then sail back.

Yes, this is Cruise Critic, and yes, I like cruising. But Bermuda seems like such an unique and lovely place that I wouldn't want to visit as part of a traditional cruise. I know some itineraries stop just for the day, others spend a night or two with passengers returning to the ship each night.

Does anyone know how to sail to Bermuda and then stay on the island? Obviously, I don't own a boat and am not qualified to skipper one myself. At the same time, I wouldn't really want to sail on a private yacht that far into the ocean.

If you can envision what I'm talking about, good. But is it a total fantasy, or does something like this exist?

Thanks,

-Dito

TTBOMK there is no requirement that you return to the cruise ship each night that you are in port. The only time you have to be on board is when the cruise ship departs Bermuda for home. You could rent a room at a hotel/B&B/resort for each night you are on the island. Expensive, yes; and what about meals? You are paying for a 7 day cruise whether or not you are on the cruise ship for 7 days.

For 2010, HAL's Veendam spends the most hours in Bermuda of all the mass market cruise ships.

Have you considered flying?

SBtS

Does anyone know how to sail to Bermuda and then stay on the island? Obviously, I don't own a boat and am not qualified to skipper one myself. At the same time, I wouldn't really want to sail on a private yacht that far into the ocean.

If you can envision what I'm talking about, good. But is it a total fantasy, or does something like this exist?

We've sailed to Bermuda three times, but last summer we flew in and stayed in a rental unit. We found the hotels to be very expensive, but we found a great deal ($130/night for two) in a rental unit on private property. We found the rental here: http://www.bermudarentals.com/. Many sizes/prices to choose from and it worked quite well. (I'm not affiliated with the web site.)

We chose to rent a scooter for transportation, but one could just as easily use the excellent bus/ferry system.

The rental unit had a full kitchen and a grocery store was a short five minute walk away. We ate breakfast and most dinners at the condo to help save money. Each day we'd enjoy a great lunch while out exploring the island. The final cost wasn't that much more than the cost of a cruise, and we had seven full days to enjoy Bermuda.

TTBOMK there is no requirement that you return to the cruise ship each night that you are in port. The only time you have to be on board is when the cruise ship departs Bermuda for home. You could rent a room at a hotel/B&B/resort for each night you are on the island. Expensive, yes; and what about meals? You are paying for a 7 day cruise whether or not you are on the cruise ship for 7 days.

For 2010, HAL's Veendam spends the most hours in Bermuda of all the mass market cruise ships.

Have you considered flying?

SBtS

Yeah, we've considered flying, but it seems like such a cool place to reach by sea. Does that make any sense at all? A little island out in the middle of the ocean all by itself... flying there is too easy!

Two years ago, on our trip to Bermuda, we met people who were staying in a hotel on the island while the ship was docked, and then rejoining the ship for the way home. Apparently they had friends who were vacationing there already, but I do not think money was an object to them. We did meet up again with them on the way home and they had a great time, said it was like having two vacations in one..the cruise and land vacation.

Archived